TF Escalation #3: *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Gears, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I must say E.J. Su's artwork gets better and better with each issue. Also the coloring seems better than usual this issue. This issue we get Megs and company starting a rift in foreign land Brasnya. Megatron mass shifts into a gun small enough for a human (facsimile) to hold in what apparently is the first time in a long time in the IDW universe. Megs is also juiced up on ORE-13 and packing quite a wallop. I liked the strategy talks between Prowl and Optimus in this issue, and the arguing between Ironhide and Prowl. The table is set for a showdown between Optimus vs Blitzwing and Astrotrain for next issue. Also the Spotlights start to make more sense as Nightbeat, Hot Rod, and Hardhead make cameos at the end and prepare to enter the fray. Pretty good issue, can't wait for a nice robotic throwdown next issue.

2. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    Really loved this issue so far! It's nice to see the "robots in disguise" theme maintained very well with a nicely weaved and interconnected universe. The explanation for Gun Megs and the teleportation of Prime's trailer were also great touches on Simon's part.

Looking forward to more tension next issue with Blitzwing's sight on Ops.

3. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

Eh, I haven't been very impressed. The story is just going way to slow for my liking.

4. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    Yeah, I did love the trailer & mass displacement explanations. The story is really solid so far, and I'm glad to see that no further politics have entered the plot yet (though they haven't followed up yet on the subplot that pissed me off last issue, anyways).
    And facsimiles= teh rok.

5. Lord Shockwave

Lord Shockwave Well-Known Member

Read it.

Solid issue, but read kinda short.

Nice little bits and pieces added to the overall story, such as the tension between Prowl and Ironhide, Prime's trust in Prowl, the concept of mass-displacement, more info on the human constructs, and the arrival of the new bots. However, the overall story seems to be moving a bit slow for my taste.

I particularly like the way Simon is taking well known concepts from the past, in this case "mass displacement", and putting a new spin on it. As he did with the Pretender and Headmaster technologies, Simon puts some newfound signficance on mass displacement, making it something not of the ordinary, but rather, something likely to be achieved with only the greatest of resources (in this case, Ore-13). I can't wait to see what Furman has in store for us with the concept of Micromasters.

I think Simon is doing the right thing focusing on the same cast, all the while adding a trickle of new characters to the mix. As Transformers fans, we want our cake and want to eat it too. In other words, we ask for character development, but demand to see new players enter the game all the time. Bob Budiansky can tell you all about what that does to the sanity of a Transformers comic writer. I think Simon has struck a nice balance here with the cast.

However, like the last two issues, I'm a little concerned about the overall pacing of the story. It may be treading a little bit in the 'slow' department for some fans.

Again, a solid issue, with some pacing problems. A "B-".

6. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

Dammit dammit dammit, I was hoping to see Hardhead and Hotrod with Earth modes. (and by earth mods I mean REAL contemporary vehicles, like and Abrams and a Trans Am)

I like the nod to Prime's trailer but,,,,, why didn't he use it? It beamed down in trailer mode then changed to a base while all the Autobots turned into cars. Then Prime leaves it?

What's the deal with Prowl and Ironhide? Ironhide undercut Prowl in some way? Anyway Prowl's being a dick, he seems to be a proto-G1 Magnus. I guess after having a wild card like Grimlock under your command for so long Prime needs a yes man for a bit. I know Optimus was mentoring Prowl but there were a few scenes where Prowl almost looked to be ordering Prime. Perhaps this will lead to something?

Shades of the late G1 comic. Prowl is a good soldier, but not necesarilly a good leader. Just because you're a loyal Lieutennant doesn't make you President when 'your turn' comes.

Which is a shame, I've always liked Prowl, but he can be so stiff. And often he's portrayed as an uptight asshole.

7. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

Agreed.

And this issue take home the gold for me if for no other reason than the bit with the trailer.

Love this story and love the new G1 Universe.

8. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

Perhaps they haven't reformatted yet? They were just told by Nightbeat that their orders were to "sit tight until we get our berings", that could include reformating... however, Hot Rod is brushing Nightbeat and the orders off, so who knows?

9. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    you know, in issue 4 of infiltration i was printed because i thought the story was moving slow, and i didnt like the designs. the designs have grown on me, but the story is still just a little slow. it seems like it shoulda been 4 or 5 issues, but then IDW wanted to extend it out just a little bit, which hurts the book. im still digging it, and its cool to see the oneshots start tying in. one of my regular TF customers didnt pick this up last night, cuz he didnt like the 1st arc either, but liked stormbringer, and i said they all tied together eventually, and he hadnt seen it, so he was dissapointed. but i guess thats how it goes. maybe he'll pick it up later....

10. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

Got it last night after work. Read it and I was very impressed! I love it.
    Can't wait to get # 4.

11. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    I've just flipped through it and it looks awesome! I like Su's Prime and the vehicles he draws are great.

12. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

I had just about given up on this series but wanted to give it one more shot before I'd stop reading it. I loved this issue.

The plot is a little slow but at the same time, I think the pacing isn't bad. We just have a lot of little threads going on-- and I really enjoy that. Things are slowly developing but at least there will be multiple pay offs.

I am really enjoying the whole, "in disguise" theme going on. It adds a level of tension that we've almost never have in Transformers fiction. When the Autobots land in Brasvya, I'm actually worried that they'll be noticed. I also worry that they'll stick out because of their odd alt-modes. This is great. I hope they keep this up for a very long time because its very enjoyable.

We're getting some good characterization. Prowl is a hard ass and I'm predicting that there is gonig to be some personal conflicts in the future with him and Ironhide. This is another one of those little threads thats getting built up. I love this. Ironhide and Hotrod are gonna get in trouble with Prime and Prowl, that's for sure. We'll see how that turns out.

I'm really looking forward to the next issue. I'm looking forward to seeing Hot Rod and Hardhead's new alt modes (I'm sure they'll get new ones-- Nightbeat did in his one-shot).

13. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

:rolleyes2 

Yeah I KNOW that.

I heard they were comming into the book and I was hoping they'd get new forms, it's a teaser for next month. DAMNIT I HAVE A.D.D! I hate to have to wait for cool stuff. :D 

One thing that struck me on the 2nd reading is how well the human's are being handled. Last issue Prime was responsible for a human getting wrecked in a car accident. Now there are Simulcroms. And Jimmy and Verity actually were a help to the cause without being annoying. A car nut like Jimmy WOULD know that the fake Sunstreaker was made out of an odd alloy and Verity has been shown to be a hacker. But unlike Cybertron where a 12 year old knows more about repairing Autobots than the team's medic, they are helping out in distinctly 'human' ways in areas where the Autobot's might be clueless. (Like Jazz's smile)

14. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Yup, best issue of the series so far. Just fantastic.

15. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    *jumps up and down waiting for weekend*

16. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Oooh! I forgot, the bit about the mass shifting? GENIUS.

17. noizu

noizu Well-Known Member

EJ's cover for this issue is fantastic. Really dynamic - some of his characters seem a little stiff at times and I love seeing him really bring figures to life like this. Interior art is probably his best yet, great 'acting' - from Prowl and Ironhide especially.

The characterisation is really satisfying too - Prime is a great, imposing character in this series, far more interesting than the nice-guy he's been portrayed as in the past. Everyone was really nicely scripted this issue and I really enjoy the pace - there's a definite build-up of momentum and a few different threads to follow.

Seeing those massive blasts coming from Megatron's deceptively-tiny gun form - just so cool. That's what I want from my Transformers comics!
    Shame about the Skywarp miscolour though...

18. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

Funny Idea For A Spotlight!

O.k., so Roller and the Combat deck beam down too, right? Well, what if they do a Spotlight story on them, but it could be a Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead kinda dilogue between them, that's actually happening in a little sub-routine of Op's mind. That would kick all kinds of ass!

What?

19. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

Yeah... And then afterwards they can do a mini on Meg's gun barrel, scope, silencer and shoulder attachment. It could be like the three stooges, except not.

20. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'm finally seeing the right amount of humans in this book. Keep it up.