TF Episode: The God Gambit

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Rodimus, May 8, 2008.

1. Rodimus

Rodimus The Prime Producer

I just rewatched this episode and it left me with many thoughts. Thoughts I would have never came close to when I was a kid. There has always been this debate about religion among people in society. Atheists will make the case that religion is just a form to control a population. Then they'll try to use historic incidents involving a goverment or authoritive group to back up that side of the debate. This episode opens up that debate and seems to be written from an atheistic perspective. This plot can really make you wonder who in history may have attempted to use religion for their own gain without really believing it. I believe the word may be "Blasphemers". It also makes me think of the historical knowlege about Ancient Mayan and Aztec society. That is after all what this story is modeled after. In ancient times shamans would use the belief in gods to remain in power and keep power to the king and control the population. But then again, they would go so far as to make blood sacrafices on those alters in the middle of the jungle, and this episode combined with that historical knowlege makes you really wonder how much of that was truely believed by those in power and how much of it was to control the masses.

You wouldn't think this would be in a kids show. But then again you wouldn't think words like "heretic" would be used either. It's pretty heavy stuff.

Does any one ever get thoughts about complex issues such as this that maybe you didn't know or care about when you were a kid, from watching a Transformers episode? Any episode?

What did you think about this episode?

Other thoughts I had was, "Why isn't Starscream the one in charge and getting worshipped here?" Astrotrain took total control of the group and was totatally B.A. It was probably his best moment of the entire series. Starscream cowarded like a little girl (which is normal) but I thought it was his great ambition to be leader of the Decepticons and worshiped. So what gives with that?

I also think this was Jazz's greatest episode. Jazz was awesome in The God Gambit. It really showed his good side and showed off his fighting skill. He also appeared to be portrayed a little back into his 2nd in command role and was in control.

What kind of thoughts does every one else have about this episode?

2. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I love that episode, and agree it seems to be written by atheists pushing an agenda into impressionable minds. However, discussion of this episode is dangerously close to breaking rule #10. I predict a locked thread.

3. Rodimus

I hope not. I just want to discuss the episode along with thoughts episodes can provoke, not have a debate. That would be a record if a thread got locked just because of a plot in a Transformers episode. :lol 

4. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Well, the plot of that particular episode is about religion. Debate or not, the subject is completely off topic because of the tendency for it to lead into debates/arguments/fighting.

5. Boy who screams

Boy who screams Banned

I thought it was more about not following stuff blindly, not really an attack on religion itself.

6. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Good Thread. Always wanted to discuss this episode. Also, the fact that this is one of the only, if not few, episodes where a human character dies, because that priest guy certainly didn't go to his happy place

7. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    This is one of my favourite episodes of the old show, simply because it focuses on Astrotrain a lot and I really liked him as a kid.

I agree Boy Who Screams, I don't think that the idea of the episode was to push Atheism (or anything for that matter) but rather as a lesson on blind, unquestioning and irrational loyalty out of fear, to anything.

And besides, it also gifted Astrotrain with one of his funniest lines of dialogue ever.

"Die, like the worm you are"

8. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And Cosmos got some much-needed screen time.

9. Cyber_Tronian

Cyber_Tronian Well-Known Member

I liked the episode a lot. I think it can be interpreted a few different ways, whether or not there was a hidden agenda behind it or not, can be argued. Put a notch on the list of great G1 episodes.

10. transfan_seek

transfan_seek Well-Known Member

its episodes like this that make you REALLY think "what were the writers thinking?"
    and i mean that in a good way

11. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It also lends some sort of credit to the fact that, for some writers, the show was more than just a way to sell toys. Even if they weren't trying to make a point with the episode, we're here discussing it.

12. butz

butz slippery when wet

It was a VERY good Jazz episode, and as Jazz was one of my personal favorites, I really enjoyed it.

13. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I can't say I loved God gambit, but I didn't hate it at all.

It had Jazz and Astrotrain in it.

14. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

Kinda more on topic, another episode that sticks with me as subtle "critical thinking" introduction is The Golden Lagoon. The way Beachcomber sadly laments the Autobot's "victory" at the end is awesome.

15. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ditto. Anyway, I loved the line Jazz used. "We're not gods...we're just fancy machines..." Jazz will always be one of my favorite all time characters. I really miss Scatman.

16. Rodimus

"Critical thinking." That's the phrase I really needed for this thread. Thanks! Good post!

You know though, I'm also wondering if any one has any ideas why Astrotrain took authority of Starscream in this episode. To me that just seemed a bit odd beings how Starscream was always trying to overthrow Megatron to lead the Decepticons himself, and especially with the chance to be worshiped right there on that planet you would think he wouldn't stand for that from Astrotrain. But then maybe he didn't mind it because Astrotrain was his ticket home? That and he was low on energy? What do you guys think?

17. giga-galvatron

giga-galvatron Decepticon S.T.A.G ******

If you wanna be technical, the episode was supposedly written with Megatron being worshipped instead of Astrotrain but since Astrotrain was a new toy at the time, they replaced Megatron with him.

18. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

I also really liked this episode and I didn't take it as an attack on religion at all but rather just not following something blindly without understanding it. It actually pushed the envelope especially considering its timeframe (anyone remember how much people talked about the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon?). I also liked the prominent role of Astrotrain for this one. He really was a powerful Decepticon especially considering he was one of the few who could space travel. I also agree that Golden Lagoon is another one that really makes you think ESPECIALLY the last minute or so of the episode.