Customs: TF D&D Help

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by BlueObi, Mar 30, 2018.

1. BlueObi

BlueObi New Member

Hello everyone.

I'm attempting to plan a Transformers D&D session for my boyfriends birthday next month. This will be the first time I'll be DM though so I'm a bit lost. I was wondering if there is any base plates I can go off or anyone had any advice Please.

He loves Transformers and has mentioned that he wants to play a transformers D&D game but doesn't think our D&D group would want to. So I really want to surprise him with a day off it. I'm just not sure which is the best route to go down. I need to create up to seven character sheets ready for the day.

Thank you for any help in advance :D .

2. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

• Like Like x 1
  3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    There's also mechamorphosis, which was another system made for adapting Transformers concepts to D20.

With all due respect to haywired et all, I haven't seen a system I thought was perfect, but the good news is, it doesn't have to be. What I'd recommend instead, if you haven't DM'd before, is watching some good play sessions online (other than the penny-arcade ones and the adventure zone, I can't think of any, but look around for yourself, 'good' is probably going to be highly subjective in this case). Watch how they build their stories, play with NPCs, give their players leeway at times and reign them in at others. In terms of system, it shouldn't matter too much so long as your group is committed to keeping the story going (that is, so long as you don't have any rules-lawyers looking to min-max on loopholes and break the story/world), just think up what you want to do and how that reasonably could work within the system. If something isn't working, or if someone suggests a better way while you're playing, use that instead. What system are you planning on using, 5th ed?

Transformers is pretty archetypical, so it shouldn't be too hard to fit certain established characters into certain classes/roles and established abilities (or at least abilities that are similar), and if you have Autobot vs. Decepticon combat, it should be pretty symmetrical to normal humanoid combat in normal D&D (you could treat humans or humanoid sized characters as tiny characters instead of trying to scale the cybertronians upwards, after all).

Do you have a group ready to play, or is just going to be the two of you? If its players, who are some of their favourite (or least favourite, if you're feeling interesting) characters? If it's just the two of you, what are some of his favourite characters? Do you want to try and come up with some new ones for him?

4. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

D&D might be better suited for typical TFs adventures than is GURPS if only because of d20 being so heavily hack&slash ruleset made almost exclusively for powerbuilds and combat. A TF campaign is not going to be heavily based around problem solving, investigations or communication skills, so using something more sophisticated like GURPS might be overdoing it.

On the other hand, our old campaign was set in the Marvel US continuity, both Autobots and superpowered humans characters were allowed and GURPS has rules for superpowers and mecha, so...