tf cybertron: best line evar?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by KA, Jun 6, 2006.

1. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    since cyb is pratically done (with the exception of known toys unreleased in less than a dozen), what do you guys think of the above? this is my breakdown towards the above conclusion:

- toy aesthetic design:
    the best example of this is prime's super mode. the last super mode that looked this good is prolly from RID, and while RID prime had a more convincing alt mode, its interesting how cyb prime took the cab for boobs motif and made it fresh again.

- toy mechanics design:
    some of the better designs that showcased balance between quality bot and alt modes; red alert, armorhide. only problems have been the giant planet guys, which show an alarming trend towards lame alt modes since energon shockblast.

- packaging:
    the prism geomety has been problematic, but graphic and content wise, the designs have been snazzy and tasteful. plus, combining catalogs!

-gimmicks:
    energon trumps cyb thx to the return of traditional combiners, but cyb has been pretty good as far as the power up combiner guys; leobreaker, wing saber(?). the planet key gimmick is okay-ish, but at least not as problematic as energon's powerlinking.

2. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

It's quite possibly the best line so far. I looking forward more to Classics, though. It has no line wide gimmick to gimp up the toys. I think I'll like that line better than Cybertron.

3. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    maybe i should rephrase my query: best MAIN line.

4. JD

JD Well-Known Member

Oh shoot. And here I was thinking this would be about the dialogue from the show :( 

5. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    i think as a cartoon, it sup there underneath Beast Wars in terms of it being good [granted not AS good as BW, but the best we've gotten out of all this armada/energon junk]

the first series since RID i've made an effort to watch from start to end [and thanks to TVNihon i was able to ;)  ]

toy-wise. This is the first line ive ever really wanted to go completist on. They all look amazing.

i love how they tried to convey different themes for the different planets, and you can see on most, how while still being TFs the toys just "look" different enough. i thought that was played out well.

Not as many combiners as i would have liked [bring on the gestalts!] but theline is just awesome. very well detailed and fun toys. I dig the force chips as well [better than mini-cons. but then i wasnever really a fan of them in the first place xP]

packaging? very very nice. Best we've gotten yet and i love it. Its very pretty. Very clean. Love the backstory and bio/tech spec stuff aswell :D  really cool

6. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

i'm in agreement, however i have all galaxy force. the only real letdown figures in the line were the armada repaints...

RUNA*&^£""!"BOUT!

7. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I almost agreed ...until I thought of the vast amounts of gimmicks that G1 had!

G1's designs may seem bick-ish but by golly the gimmicks were obscene! We had combiners that could swap parts (scamble city concept), we had headmasters, target masters, powermasters, pretenders, city-bots, dinosaurs robots (dinbots)...

So sorry...G1 still takes it for me! :D 

8. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    damnit. best MODERN main line ever.

its really hard to compete with the original run due to its long run (what? 5-6 years).

the point of this discussion is to chart the progress of the vehicle lines since BM. are they getting better? or have they regressed?

9. CompuGlobal HyperMegatron

CompuGlobal HyperMegatron Nobody summons Megatron

Aesthetically speaking, I love this line. I love that 90% of the toys look awesome in both robot mode, and alt mode.

I'm not a big fan of gimmicks (I HATED Armada because of the god damned minicons, the only minicons I like are the combiners). But thankfully, Cybertron/Galaxy Force went a little less intrusive with their gimmick, resulting in sleek alt modes that still brought a little extra something to the table.

The lack of getsalts sucks. We got one, and that's a group of damn dirty minicons forming a crappy robot whose arms bend the wrong way (The least that Hasbro could have done when they repainted Perceptor into Bozo the Clown was fix that flaw).

The show was okay, once it got past the formulaic episodes with "Savage Claw Mode" it got a lot better. I really hated watching it and knowing exactly how it's going to go. Megatron fights Prime, Prime starts to lose to Megatron, Prime and Leobreaker combine, Savage Claw Mode Prime does one swipe and wins the episode. Yawn.

I do love the toys though, so much so that they are taking up prime display real estate.

Can't wait for the classic line, go go completist!

10. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    For the most part, I think it beats Energon bot-to-bot. Energon had some pretty good figures, but a much greater number of duds. Gimmick-wise, I'm on the fence. The powerlinking wasn't so bad in my eyes (not great of course) but it sure helps save display space. The keys are ok but after a few bots you end up with a big bag of keys and like 2 on the shelf to use with every bot you own.

As for beating RID... yes. RID had a handful of good figures from what I've seen, but there just weren't enough figures total, especially really good ones. And too many spychangers.

So yeah... CYB > BM/RID/ARM/ENER

11. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    lol.. I love these "best evar" threads. I thought Energon was the best evar and Armada before it? :rolleyes2 

In all seriousness, none of these lines can hold a candle to Beast Wars. While some of you kiddies don't like the 20 year old G1 toys, you have to admit that the realistic alt modes are a plus.

12. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    Have the vehicle lines after RID improved? Well, it's hard to not improve on Armada. Then comparing Energon & Cybertron... there's some ways each is better. It's close to a tie but I suppose Cybertron has a slight edge. Though I find many Cybertron figures have frustratingly, needlessly restricted articulation, such as Armorhide, Hardtop, CD Red Alert, Wreckloose, Shortround, and Brakedown.

13. Lonewolf

Lonewolf Well-Known Member

The best main line in the micron trilogy IMHO.

14. CompuGlobal HyperMegatron

CompuGlobal HyperMegatron Nobody summons Megatron

Really? I found Armorhide to have impressive articulation, for a scout class. Same with Brakedown, actually. I do agree on the others though, and I would like to add Backstop to that list! To add insult to injury, my CD Red Alert can't bend his right arm at the elbow, due to Hasbro QC(if you can call it that..).

15. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah I'd agree with that.. It is a great line.. At least the best main line since BW and RID..

16. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    Hands down really. Prime and Megatron rocks!!!! Plus we have some nice deluxes in the line like Downshift and Sideways.

17. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    LOL! Since that's the case, Cyberton is definately the best modern line to-date. Your first post head the nail on the dot in terms of descriptions! :wink: 

18. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    For me, Cybertron has by far been the best overall main line to date. Each line has had some great toys, but IMO Cybertron has a greater number of hits than misses. The RiD Car Bros. were astetically my fav TFs for a long time, mainly because of their amazing articulation...unfortunately they do seem a little scrawny and wobbly in comparison to, say, Cyb. Landmine who has amazing articulation and is sturdy as a rock. Engineering has just come a long ways, especially with unique transformations and details in the smaller toys. Not every toy is a winner (Backstop, Overhaul, Leobreaker, Override) but I think when all things are compared, Cybertron definitely comes out on top.

Though I think Classics will kick its ass:D 

19. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    "frustratingly, needlessly restricted articulation"

What I'm talking about on Armorhide is, why can't he lift his arms straight out at the shoulder? There's a tab of plastic in the way, why couldn't this just be a ball joint? Why doesn't he just have ball jointed knees instead of the hinge and slide, the ball joint could take care of those transformation details. Why no waist pivot? His design doesn't restrict it like some transformation schemes do.

Brakedown has ball joints at his shoulders and hips, but their like completely encircled so they can't bend outward. Cut a notch in and they could move more freely.

It's these small design oversights I'm talking about. Designs like Backstop are bad from the get-go.

Hardtop might be the best example. I do think he is awesome and he does have great articulation. BUT his design is basically the same as E.Sledge. E.Sledge can twist at the knee but Hardtop cannot simply because the corners of his upper thigh are square instead of rounded off.

20. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Yeah thats a big reason G1 will always be my fav...I loved the real world Alt modes...and why I like the vehicle modes in Alternators.

Though as far as Beast Wars goes, I think there were some great toys but overall the beast modes were really hampered and turned out as bricks...granted that was mainly in the beginning, but then when they tried to give the beast modes articulation, they pretty much had to make the robot arms and legs the beat arms and legs so the transformations were boring and predictable (for the most part, like I said there are plenty of gems in the BW toyline)...plus if you compare how long it took for the BW toyline to get some quality into it compared to Cyb. that had toys like Megatron, Optimus Prime, Starscream, Landmine, Hot Shot, and Vector Prime in the first wave (and in a much shorter toyline), there has to be some sort of considerations taken too...granted engineering has improved over the years too.