TF Crossovers Build Quality

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TM2 D-bot, Dec 1, 2009.

1. TM2 D-bot

TM2 D-bot Forsight Into the Future Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have only 3 Marvel TF Crossovers, but all have the same problems:

Loose parts
    Flimsy plastic
    Excessive flash

I just bought a Thor and took him out of package. Just laying him on my desk, his wings popped out and are extremely loose. His landing gear also won't support his weight, and if I shake him lightly everything begins to unpeg.

My Hulk has a bum arm guard panel straight out of the package, and generally the plastic just feels cheap all around.

Are all figures in this line like this? They just feel cheaper than mainline TFs. Are the Star Wars Crossovers any better?

2. all are dead

all are dead Being a nerd is my game.

News Credits:
    they have a few like that but i found mine to be all fine. and also thor's bad cause its overall an awful figure.

3. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

X-overs Wolverine is easily one of the best figures in the line, and for Crossovers, that's saying alot. What isn't made of ratcheting joints easily can be tightened or loosened as needed with a little screwdriver work, and while the feet are a little wonky, he's pretty fun.

I just want a Dr. Doom warship already. He's probably the only Marvel X-over figure I'd buy and keep as it is out of the box, since I can actually see Dr. Doom building a giant transforming exo-suit in his image.

4. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    My Hulk doesn't have any problems, but I haven't touched the line since him anyway.

5. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The waist on my SW Crossovers Turbo Tank broke after 2 transformations. Needless to say, that was the last one I bought.

6. TM2 D-bot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just transformed Thor into robot mode. How in the hell do I fold the cockpit nose flush on his fuselage like this pic shows:

[​IMG]

Mine just sit there with the ends pointing outwards. The right forearm on mine is extremely loose and he just feels like a knock off all around. I still like how he looks but damn if he doesn't feel cheap.

I'll be opening Captain America in a while. Wish I could find Wolverine locally but it seems he never made it here :( 

7. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  8. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

You can't make it fold like that. I never could. As far as the Marvel Crossovers go, they seem to feel "cheaper." Almost Knock offish. The best imo are Wolvie, Captain America and the Human Torch.

9. TM2 D-bot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah the only Star Wars TFs I'm interested in are Commander Cody and the Death Star. I was actually considering Chewbacca so thanks for the heads up.

Yeah I almost snapped the cockpit nose trying to see if I could fold it up that way.

Just took out the Captain and he feels better than the other two, but his plastic is still cheap. I actually like the mold detailing on these but it's a shame they don't have any paint detailing to bring them out. I do not like three things about the Captain though:

His arms are flimsy and the shoulders are not broad enough for the rest of his body. Also couldn't they find a way to peg in the shoulder armor (Hummer fenders)?
    His legs could have actually been made to compact even further by some aditional hinges. They look wierd from the side and back.
    And my biggest complaint is the head. I can't make his chin be visible. The star part just keeps blocking it and he looks odd, anyone else have this problem?

10. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

/\ All those problems are part of the mold. I hate that the head is so low in him.

11. TM2 D-bot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I tried pushing in the star all the way while pulling his roof back. I finally managed at least his mouth to be visible. And his arms are way loose, especially of you pull them outwards and play with the hinge in order to pose him.

12. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    A SW TFs better? F*CK NO.

13. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Most of my Crossovers are fine, except for Venom, who has a very loose shoulder.

14. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    I was never really all that impressed with the Marvel Crossovers. I have Venom, black costume Spidey, & War Machine. War Machine is the best of the three IMO. I actually prefer the SW Crossovers the Marvel ones. The early SW crossovers are horrid but the latest ones are pretty decent. Not TakTomy TF great but they look awesome in alt mode and have improved articulation in bot mode. The Death Star Darth & Turbo Tank are among the better ones in the line.

15. 1987olds442

1987olds442 Cam Maximus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I had to use my dremel on him to get the panels to fold like that... I bought this figure on the sole purpose to kitbash and if you don't fold the wings like a cape it actually looks better. My main gripe is the knees it's hard to pose them. The Cap figure is a nice figure I'm almost done kitbashing him into a Classics themed Animated Bulkhead.

16. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    I have a total of 7 Marvel crossovers, Cap, Hulk, War Machine, Venom, Human Torch, and the Spiderman/Ironman two pack. I've only had a couple issues with any of them. Mostly just a few smaller panels not wanting to stay pegged. The worst issue is on Torch. His elbows are extremely tight. When I tried bending them all the way, the part of the joint on the forearm cracked clear through. Oddly enough, the arms are still tight enough, but now work better than they did originally. First time I've ever seen breaking a toy, as an improvement.

Other than that, the only real issues I have are with the two pack, and those are all design decisions, and not qc problems.

Cap's arms are not floppy. It seems you haven't transformed them completely. After you get them out, you're supposed to slide them all the way back, until they click. It's a little hard to do, but you don't need to worry about breaking it. Same goes for the head. You're supposed to pull it up until it clicks out. Then the star on the chest won't cover anything.

17. TM2 D-bot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The arms are transformed correctly (pushed all the way back), but his arms when I pose him are just floppy. Thanks for the head bit though, I finally pulled it out completely, but the star bit still covers part of his lower chin.

18. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

the quality control on animated was pretty shoddy too, lots of spilled paint, overly loose balljoints and parts that fall off without much provocation. whereas universe and movieverse seems to have generally better paint apps and are less likely to have bits drop off.

that said, i thought the jap toys were supposed to be more tightly controlled and my henkei! skyfire has some absolutely awful paint on his helmet, it looks like somebody in the factory sried to touch it up using tipex and the visor is pretty messy. perhaps the general QA standards have just slipped on some of the lines to keep the figures pouring out to meet demand.

19. TM2 D-bot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Comparing directly my Universe with Henkei couterparts I see almost the same quality in both. It should be since they essentially came from the same factory and workers. The only bad one I have is Universe Devastator in that his legs won't stay connected, and his feet and arm attachments come off just by glancing at them.

Animated was pretty good for me except for Deluxe Bumblebee's hood halves always popping of the ball joints, and my Leader Megs having electronic problems.

20. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Sounds like you've just been having some really horrible luck with qc. I've generally been very lucky. I think the only bad figure I've gotten in a long time was Animated Sunstorm.