TF Comics: Why do you like them?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Wodicus, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Wodicus

Wodicus Active Member

I was just in the thread asking who got started on Transformers through the original comics. That got me to thinking about why I like the TF comics so much. I love comics books as a medium as I think it combines two great ideas of using art and writing to tell a great story. So, I got to thinking, the reason why I love the comics so much I find that they can explore the universe, the factions, the history, the characters and all that stuff in so much greater detail then the cartoons ever have. I like the old Marvel G1 comics because they took ideas and characters from the G1 series and ran with them in whole different directions, one example is when Shockwave took over the Decepticons and how the Autobots were all killed. They also used characters that never appeared in the cartoon, such as the Seacons.

I also like the new stuff as it is taking the basic ideas for the universe and the characters and putting a whole new spin on it. I like how with the IDW stuff they are actually going to explore the ideologies behind being an Autobot and a Decepticon, or at least I get the impression they are anyway. I also like how they are taking characters and reworking them, making them seem more individualistic, make them stand out more as "people" and looking at why they fight. I think the Spotlights are brilliant for that, giving a look into the inner thinking and feelings of these great characters.

So I was just wondering what you other comic readers think of the comics, old and new G1 or something else. Feel free to discuss what you like, what you want to see.

2. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I've only read what few Marvel comics of the Transformers my brother had, but what I've read were certainly entertaining. However, I like IDW's comics the best. You got to admit it, they do a fairly good job reinventing the G1 characters and putting them into a more modern context.

3. CookSux

CookSux Infectious Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    In all honesty, as much as I liked IDW's stuff, some of it is still a bit rubbish (Hot Rod's Magnificence... really?). Part of me doesn't want Furman anywhere near G1, and wish Brad Mick err James somethingsomething wrote for them instead. His ongoing G1 stuff was great and spot on in my opinion. But to each their own.

I guess I like Transformers comics because it does give a chance to explore different things that mainstream children's cartoons can't, plus more fiction can't hurt in general.

4. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Have to disagree about "Mad Brick" and his G1 output - in fact, any of the Dreamwave G1 output. The worst fan w*nk writing of anykind. Truly awful.

As for why I like the Marvel Saga (the UK complete saga, mind you) - it was an engaging, decade-long ongoing story featuring pretty much every available Transformer cooked up for G1, and all-new ones besides (e.g. Impactor). Despite being a kids comic, it was written in a (mostly) intelligent manner that rewarded long-time readers (not many comics at the time were citing events that happened over 100 issues previous) for their attention and enthusiasm.

It also gave us some truly definitive characterisations (haven't I said this before?). Shockwave, Blaster, Ultra Magnus, Scorponok, Soundwave - the list goes on: All these characters were far superior in the comics to how the were presented in other mediums (e.g. the cartoon).

Although I enjoy the IDW stories, they have the same problem that most comics these days have (and Furman himself has alluded to this) - every story 'arc' is written with a trade paperback edition in mind, so most stories are either compressed/stretched to fit either 4 or 6 issues. Which means reading an individual issue often leaves you unfulfilled or feeling like it's not really gone anywhere.

Compare an issue of Marvel TF to a modern IDW/DW one. The difference in terms of pacing, excitement - and most importantly, entertainment I'd say - is apparent.

Heck, an issue like "The Smelting Pool" would probably be eeked out to a six-part mini-series these days...

5. lazerrodphill

lazerrodphill Well-Known Member

Why does everyone hate dreamwave so much. It was tight nit and not as loose as the new stuff. Predaking versus bruticus, sunstorm , jetfire come on, that was great stuff. Don figs artwork is the best ever and the stoties were good and at times great. Do'nt forget war within.

6. Velcrohead

Velcrohead Banned

Cartoon: Autobots and Decepticons stand firing at each other and not hitting a damn thing, and 15 seconds into the battle, Megatron loses his shit and calls the retreat, abandoning whatever absurd weapon-of-the-day he had acquired. Despite being completely ineffectual, none of the Decepticons question him, with the exception of Starscream, who is sort of like Haywire from Prison Break, only with less testosterone.

Comics: Autobots and Decepticons have firefights where just about everybody gets COMPLETELY fucked up, with nearly entire factions wiped out within 3 or 4 issues of the Marvel comic. Megatron is ruthless as hell, but has issues with equally ruthless competitors trying to screw him over.

I rest my case.

7. Pride21

Pride21 Honor Wisdom Virtue

Two reasons one is the pre earth stories (which is nice due to no humans and you get to know a little about their past) and second would have to be better/different characterzation a good example of that is idw's spotlight wheelie.

8. Dreweido

Dreweido Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The people who work on them are fans of the brand (very talented fans!) and the fact that I've gotten to know (and work) with a lot of them before and after they 'made it' and they are still great people.

So I wish all the best for them that's why I like TF Comics (modern ones)... the old ones? Well I would get them for a 1.15 an issue as I accumulated money from 7th grade into high school until Dreamwave made Transformers a comic that demanded more than a dollar and a quarter (and ultimately made their TF comics worth around a quarter)

9. MushroomPrime

MushroomPrime ******

News Credits:
    you didn't just hit the nail on the head, you built a whole damn house

10. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    CUZ I MAKES DEM

:p 

nah...but seriously... i like comics because its another medium in which the stories can be taken to more deeper levels. characters have the potential to be fleshed out a lot more. the stories far more grander and deeper.

I like the comics mostly because there's the chance/opportunity/potential to make some really great and satisfying stories/characters

The only thing that I can say against it is that i've yet to read such a story lol.

Most the stories i've read have tried to do that and fail. they forget what they're doing. continuity errors begin to run rampant. The market interferes cutting some stories short

honestly i cant really say i've read a comic thats really done it "right" but mostly thats just my own opinion. I'd like to see Transformers handled differently than has been done thus far but i digress.

i like comics cuz they're fun. Merging art and story is always great. I have a lot of friends who create the comics and yeah.

The more fiction the better IMO

11. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I like comics because they're like cartoons that don't move. :) 

12. Tman978

Tman978 Really CHILL!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I was reading the Dreamwave and IDW comics. I like that they are a bit more realistic. (violent)

13. Wingwolf77

Wingwolf77 Decepticon Dark lord

I loved the Marvel comic. Much deeper story than the cartoon.

I LOVED Dreamwave. It was Transformers perfection. To me anyway.

The only reason I never got the IDW issues was that I didn't like the idea of another reboot. And I did pick up the 1st 2 issues and I could not get into them.

14. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

The Marvel comics will always be canon to me. A decade long with a great cast and an engaging mythology. Plus the UK DVD featuring Agenda featured a background story that tied Beast Wars into Marvel G1. The stories further expanded in the Universe comics.

That said, I absolutely loved Dreamwave. Initially I was sceptical about restarting G1 given my love for Marvel UK but it won me over as the writers had an amazing grasp of the characters and their universe. The MTMTE series really reflected this. Loved the new characters such as Sunstorm and Bumper and the fact that they made repaints like Soundblaster individual characters. At least that's the impression I got had they continued. Then there was the designs of the War Within cast and on top of everything, they made Armada/Energon engaging where I found I looked forward to each issue unlike the awful cartoon.

IDW is definitely the weakest of the TF comic series, not helped by the fact that it was another retelling when we had two excellent runs already, both screaming to be continued. Had we not gotten the Marvel/ Dreamwave runs, it may have held up better. Not saying it's bad but I definitely preferred the others. Much prefer Dreamwave's Prowl and Ramjet and Marvel's Thunderwing and Scorponok.

Have to agree with the previous poster who stated he'd rather see Brad Mick write TF rather than Furman. At least get him to teach Furman how to write dialogue.

Also I love Devil's Due TF/GI Joe stuff. Nice designs and I loce their Serpentor.

15. -Mainframe-

-Mainframe- Well-Known Member

I liked the art and most of the stories in Dreamwave.
    I didn't like Sunstreaker as a gay robot. :crazy: 

Prime shooting Devastator in the face was a nice touch.
    Also, Superion intercepting the nuclear bomb.

Timelines isn't that bad either.

16. galvatron1701

galvatron1701 cassette

I never got to read the Marvel stuff the first time around, in fact it was only 3 years ago I bought an issue, and I don't want to read the marvel series until I have at least a large chunk to make a continuation.

I was brought up on the cartoon, as I was given the entire video collection by an uncle when I was about 8. I watched those episodes every day. Then, when I was 15 my dad bought the first issue of Dreamwave's TF, and I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.

Yes, it was cheesy, with the living metal thing covering the earth, but it was still Transformers! The Dreamwave G1 series got better and better (except for Micromasters, but let's forget that). The War Within series I read atleast once a month, and I'm still in awe at the very first issue.

IDW has done good work, but at the beginning I really didnt like it. The whole Verity/Hunter thing just pissed me off, and I almost cried when they were brought back from the dead just recently.

However, IDW is getting better. The Revelation series, the spotlights, I'm even loving AHM, but Dreamwave will always be my Marvel! (That is until I have all 332 issues, then the reading may begin!)

17. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    I got into the comics with Spotlight Sixshot ive been reading them ever since im not a heavy reader but theres ones that I must read when they come out like AHM and RoS and the Spotlights

18. Boy who screams

Boy who screams Banned

Marvel: Art was bleh. Even for the time...

DW: Ongoing wasn't that great, War Within had some nice moments, but overall, not that great, pretty much just fanwank.

IDW: Easily the strongest comic continuity. I love the effort Furman has gone to to create a solid, 3D, working universe. I've really been enjoying it so far. Then they had to go DW on us and make AHM. Man I hate it.

19. Grimlocka go-go

Grimlocka go-go Back from the Dead TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    One reason I love the comics, specially the newer ones, is that they can do stuff like Stormbringer, give awsome detail to characters that you'd hardly ever see because their toy isn't as popular, and make them important, or at least fun to read.

20. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Why do I love the comics?
    The art plays a big role in it. Dead serious. I love the art for the most part. The stories that go along with that art are really hit and miss though. Here's a quick rundown of some recent stuff that I've read.

IDW: Infiltration
    I like it. Sure, it's a slow start, but it builds. And builds. And I like that they're taking their time with it.

IDW: Escalation
    Uh... so much for taking it slow. Lots of action, the robots are all over the place and blowing stuff up. Stealth? Disguise? Human perspective? All those themes they were trying to emphasize in the frst mini? Gone. Still, some nice action and I can't complain too much, though I hate headmasters and the Machination. Secret government conspiracies- say it isn't so.

IDW: Devastation
    Humans, Autobots, Decepticons, The Reapers, The Dead Universe, The Machination- what was this, a contest to see how many sub-plots they could cram into 6 issues? Ugh. I've lost track of what they were all doing.

IDW: Stormbringer
    A simplistic story about crazy Thunderwing going crazy and blowing stuff up. Bare bones plot but at least it's direct and to the point. I can dig it.

IDW: Megatron Origin
    Worthless. Issue 1 starts out with a young, inexperienced Megatron. By issue 2 he's already a seasoned strategist and hardened warrior. Wasn't the whole point of this story to show us *HOW* he became the Megatron we all know? Doesn't help that the story we do get is complete rubbish too. Absolutely worthless.

IDW: Spotlights
    So far the best issue IMO dealt with Kup. It was such a unique story where TF stories are concerned, that it felt like a breath of fresh air. The rest are okay.
    The Revelation tie-ins for the most recent spotlights are not so great, though. There's so much story to tell, that it feels less like a character study and more like just another issue in the main title.

IDW: All Hail Megatron
    So far all I've seen are Decepticons blowing stuff up. No plot. No direction. Just blow stuff up. The art is magnificent, and I enjoy it for its simple stupidity. I'm told that it's supposed to run for 12 issues, so hopefully there's a story in there somewhere, but really- they couldn't do more with the first 2 issues?

IDW: Beast Wars The Gathering
    The first issue seemed good. Not perfect, not great. Just good. Then the next 3 issues took a big, beasties-sized dump all over that. GIGANTIC CAST- too many to even attempt to care about.

IDW: Beast Wars The Ascending
    This mini does the exact opposite of everything that made the show great. We barely even knew the characters from the first mini and already they're dumping even more people into the mix and dishing out yet another epic Unicron saga and the whole fate of the universe rests with them. Complete rubbish. Worthless. Burns really good though. :D 

IDW: Evolutions
    Cancelled after the first 2 issues. Just not my thing.

IDW: 2007 Movie prequel
    Meh. Not bad, not great. Didn't really add anything pertinent to the story.

IDW: 2007 Movie adaptation
    I really should read that some time...

IDW: The Reign of Starscream
    I got into a good discussion about this mini series. The truth of the matter is, I don't think the story is all that bad. It's just that the story focuses on the deathly serious movie Decepticons and all the fun and adventure-y feel of the movie is lost. Also, the movie aesthetic for the robots doesn't translate well to still pictures. Since they're so alien looking, it really helps to see their movements, their body language and hear their voices to develop them. So... not bad, but I just wasn't into it.

IDW: Saga of the Allspark
    Ehh... I haven't found much worth in these yet.