TF club - Worth joining?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by MaxLinden, Jan 31, 2011.

1. MaxLinden

MaxLinden Auto-Con

News Credits:
    I want to know those who are subscripted to it...
    Tell me everything about it and is it worth it for someone like me who is a hardcore TF fan to join and start a subscription.
    or Should I wait on it right now.

2. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    If you live in the US, it's probably worth it.
    If you live in the US and plan to go to Botcon, it's definitely worth it (because of the discount you get for preregistering costs with club membership).
    If you live anywhere else in the world, it's honestly not really worth it (the club magazine will usually arrive so late that you'll already have seen everything interesting in it online by then, and it costs a lot more to join)
    If you live overseas and you plan to go to Botcon, it's vaguely worth it.

3. MaxLinden

MaxLinden Auto-Con

News Credits:
    Then I guess I may have to.... Maybe going to Botcon so ya....

4. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    I've been a member the past few years, and unless you like the free figures/club exclusives or plan on going to BotCon, I'd say it isn't worth the $40-some to join.

5. MaxLinden

MaxLinden Auto-Con

News Credits:
    Do you get a free figure each month or just one time.

6. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    One figure a year.

7. Obsidian X

Obsidian X Dork of the moon

This years free figure is a blue repaint of Classic Hot Rod into the RID character Sideburns.
    If you like TF comics there is also that as a further incentive. There are a few pages of comics in every magazine. I like the clubs comics, not everyone does though.

8. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    It really does depend on whether you plan on going to botcon and/or ordering things from the club website. If the answer is yes to both, then yeah, you'll save money by joining the club. If its one or the other, then you might benefit from it, especially if the one you're planning on is botcon. If you're not planning to do either, it's probably not worth your while, as the figure and access to their publications don't really justify the cost on their own.

For example, a few years ago the discount on the botcon exclusives set was nearly 60 bucks for club members. When I worked out the discounts related to the membership fee, if I counted the figure and yearly magazine subscription as worth around 30 bucks to me then I broke even.

9. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    As mentioned, if you live in the US and you're either going to Botcon or getting the non-attendee set, yes. If you plan on getting a club exclusive figure, then sure. Otherwise pass.

10. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    I view it more as buying a cool exclusive figure, and getting a few magazines for free. If you want the "free" toy and/or might want any other club-exclusive product it's a no-brainer.

In the internet-age the utility of the magazine as a source for "news" is laughable, and the fiction and comics and whatnot are, IMO, only slightly-better-than-average fanfic with a whiff of canonicity, so all in all, it's all about the toys.

I've been a uninterrupted member since year 1, Glen/3H's year 1.

Though I never got my Mega SCF Skywarp, (;) ) I'm all about the toys.

D/L

11. jtwhoib

jtwhoib Protocol

Ebay:
    Is there a specific time of year you have to join to be able to get the free figures?

12. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    If you join before a certain date (sometime in April, I think), you get this year's free toy, if you join after that, you'll get next year's toy when it comes out next year. Buying a membership at any time entitles you to the free toy, but they're only shipped once a year.

13. Soundwave2

Soundwave2 Excitement! My Style!!!

News Credits:
    Just getting that Sideburn figure is enough for me to wanna sign up this year. You have until March 16 until you miss out on getting him.

14. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you're planning on either going to BotCon or ordering the BotCon toys and/or you like the freebie figure, then I would say it's probably worth the price of membership. If you don't plan on doing any of those things, then it's absolutely not worth the cost, IMO. The magazine is basically useless for news since anything 'new' has probably long since been leaked by Hasbro and shown up here. Or the magazine takes so long to arrive, even to US members, that pictures of anything new are easily available elsewhere on the 'net. The quality of the fiction has also been plummeting over the past few years, as well, particularly the writing on the comic and that godawful 'Recordicons' thing they started recently. The character profiles are generally decent, but those are really only interesting if you like that year's "theme". The Club forum is fairly poor, IMO, and while the Club store does get some good stuff in every once in awhile, it doesn't happen often enough to justify the cost of membership.

There's also the issue of other Club exclusives, besides the freebie and the BotCon figures. If you aren't already a member and want an exclusive, wait to join until the exclusive actually goes up for pre-order, not when the exclusive is first announced, since the exclusives are frequently delayed for months at a time. Pre-existing members also don't have priority on pre-ordering exclusives ahead of people joining at the same time as pre-ordering the item(s), so there's no benefit to being a member before an exclusive goes up for pre-order (assuming that's the only reason you want to join).

15. KWFlange

KWFlange You're So Jelly

If you have a membership by March 16th 2011 you will get the exclusive figure. If it is after i assume you would get next year's figure.
    I am a member myself and really enjoy the "private" forums. Not alot goes on so it is not nearly as entertaining as this forum, but it is troll free (few will pay $40 to troll) and there are some good conversations which spark.

As a member you also get a discount to botcon (which I swear i will make it to one day lol) and 6 magazines with exclusive content.

All and all I believe it is worth it. The figure alone could be sold for the $40 on ebay. but then you're just looking @ 6 magazines and a reduced price for other older TFCC and Botcon figures. Oh and botcon discount.

16. ronin0510

ronin0510 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    yeah i am joining this year for the first time just cause 1) I have always wanted to. 2) Sideburn Figure 3) I was planning to go to botcon but now i cant but i do want the botcon set this year.

17. OhSlag!

OhSlag! Well-Known Member

I don't think I will able to attend botcon, but still kinda want the exclusives. Can I get a discount on the non-attendee exclusives with the membership?

18. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    It was answered in this thread, yes. You get a discount. For us US folks, the discount is greater then the membership fee which is why it's worthwhile to join the club to get the non-attending set.

19. KWFlange

KWFlange You're So Jelly

And to supplement this answer, you can also get your hands on past TFCC member figures and Botcon figures at a discount as well. Granted the selection is limited at this point, but it is there.