TF: Classics, way to get a guy collecting again

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by DanoMcKenna, Oct 27, 2006.

1. DanoMcKenna

DanoMcKenna R.I.P

:thumb 

I haven't collected TF in a while, I didn't even pick up the BW 10th that I was REALLY excited about. But the classics have pulled me back in. These guys are so cool.

I found them at TRU, but then seeing that they cost $13 there I opted to drive down to target where they are $9.99.

But these guys are amazing. I got Hot Rod and Starscream and they are both the best versions of the characters that I have ever seen.

My ONLY complaint is that Starscream's shoulder cannons are a bit loose. Hot Rod is right out of my dreams nearly dead-on in terms of what he looked like in the cartoon. And both figures have a great way of not sticking EXACTLY to the original transformation, but still looking like the characters. With this line and the Titanium line, I am a very happy collector! I honestly like these better than the Alternators. I think the Alternators are better made toys, but these feel more like TFs to me.

2. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

To each their own, I always say (in ref. to your pref. for those lines over Alts)! So far, I only have Prime and Megs. from the Classics line (out of personal pref.), but I hope to get back in with the upcoming Jetfire.

And, yes, TRU's prices are sucking more and more....plus, their return policies of late are pushing me further and further away...

Enjoy your toys!

3. DanoMcKenna

DanoMcKenna R.I.P

What are their return policies like now? I don't think I've ever returned anything there...

And yeah, like I said before, I think the Alternators are better toys, but for some reason I enjoy these more. It makes sense in my head, trust me.

4. Pikatron

Pikatron Well-Known Member

I had no interest in collecting for the longest time until the Alts came out. Both modes were really detailed and I was hard-pressed to tell that those model cars were able to transform. I like the 6" Titaniums because of the almost Spawn-like amount of detail that goes into their paint jobs. (at least for Prime, Megs, Jetfire and Thundercracker).

These classics however are the best imo. Both modes look really nice and their robot forms are really articulate as well. Unlike the Titaniums, the Classics line appears durable enough to play with every day. Which I have definately been doing. I have all the ones that are out so far and can't wait for more!

5. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Sounds like Classics are doing what Car Robots did to a bunch of us in 00/01.

6. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    QFT

7. Zombie F Body

Zombie F Body Has left the building...

I had to return a couple of MLs that immediately broke right out of the package recently and had no troubles. They are starting to stress the no receipt, no return policy when you check out.

8. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    You think those two are great, wait until you get Bumblebee. ;) 

9. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Couldn't have said it any better myself. Beyond getting MP Prime a couple of years ago and collecting the Dreamwave comics, I still had the book shut when it came to buying them anymore, especially since every line since G1 has sucked something serious imo, even with all the new engineering upgrades.

But yeah, after holding off for a long time, I finally started picking up the Alternators since they were just too cool to pass up. Then the collector tidlewave overtook me again. As if the Classics aren't fantastic enough, but they're also giving us a plethora of War Within based titaniums. It's a perfect storm between those 3 lines and I couldn't be happier to invest in new TF's again.

10. DanoMcKenna

DanoMcKenna R.I.P

I KNOW! He looks great, he's actually the one I'm most excited for, but decided to buy the "cooler guys" first.

11. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    They already do that for most major retailers in some countries, like here. The US's liberal store return policies open themselves up to scams and switcheroos.
    It is unfortunate legitimate customers with real problems are hurt in the process.

12. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

Yeah I tried returning some unopened toys to the TRU last weekend, the guy was a bit of a prick about it, had kind of one of those asshole smiles going on like he was enjoying some little power trip, I think that's pretty stupid personally if they're still sealed but oh well I guess.

13. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Well, so long as you bought them there (or at another TRU) and have the reciept, they shouldn't have a problem.
    The only problem I've ever had was at Big W, the local equivalent of Walmart (hey even similar names). They more or less refused to give me a refund even though something I bought was missing parts and they had none in stock. I got angry and they refunded me and made a big deal out of it being an exception.

14. Rama Sha

Rama Sha Tosche Station Pimp

Ebay:
    I was pretty much out of collecting TFs. I haven’t liked the mainline toys since RID. I didn't like the direction Alternators took after Tracks (With the exception of Sunstreaker, and Skids. ) Reissues had stopped (and they weren't very affordable when they were around),I had stopped buying TFs comics after Dreamwave folded, and I had even stopped posting on TF message boards like this one (After all..what was there to talk about?) So I had stopped buying pretty much anything with the TF logo on it, more through alienation, then because of not wanting to buy.

But then Classics came along and got me excited about Transfromers again, I bought all the deluxes and would have the Voyagers if anyone would stock them around here. And I even stopped by a comic shop and picked up some of the new TFs comics out there. Classics got me back in the fold.

15. Deceptivore

Deceptivore Autobot Nutritionist

I'm also one that hadn't collected in years and suddenly found myself drooling over Alternators and MP Prime. Since then, I'm sucked back in. Between Alts, Beast Wars Anniversary, Classics, and even a Cybertron toy here and there; I'm doomed!

Glad you're finding the classics to your liking. All of them are worth your money, IMO.

16. DanoMcKenna

DanoMcKenna R.I.P

that's exactly how I was. Except I haven't started reading the comics again.

17. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

I dig these guys too. And, I haven't bought this many TFs from the first wave of a new line since RID.

Where do you live that TRU is charging $13 a pop for the Deluxes? The TRU where I got the my first couple Deluxes charged $10.99.

18. DanoMcKenna

DanoMcKenna R.I.P

I live in Whittier CA, so my local Toys R Us is in Montebello CA, only the classic deluxes are $13, the rest are 10.99. They have them labled as TF Vintage Classic or something like that, and Classics Megatron was $20. I thought he'd be somewhere arounf $15.

19. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    nope, he's a voyager, voyagers are $20.

20. fourth_heir

fourth_heir Well-Known Member

Damn right - I'm so bored of yet another year of G1 homages in the toyline that I've started filling the holes in my BM collection :thumb  (that line offered plenty of original, exciting designs!)

Thus far I have seen only four Classics that'll be gracing my shelf.