TF Classics VS TF Masterpiece

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by GrimlockAutobot, Jun 13, 2012.

?

Should I Sell My TF Classics Collection and Go "All In" With this Newer MP Line?

1. Yes.

33 vote(s)
    34.4%
  2. No.

63 vote(s)
    65.6%
  1. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Camaro Club! Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Looks to me like you've already made your decision.

2. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Known Member?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you want to cut down on your collection, than do it, but I personally wouldn't give up on Classics when we still have no idea which way the MP line is going to go. Plus, if you ever change your mind and wish you could get at least some of those Classics figures back, many will be a bitch to reacquire again.

3. Hothouse Prime

Hothouse Prime Not old... Just older.

This...

TBH, I was feeling the same until I realized I that I would be seeing 3 new figs a year TOPS. Between that and the fact that the majority of 3P products skew towards Classics, I can't justify walking away from the biggest portion of my collection.

4. graymer

graymer Well-Known Member

I am not going to be switching over.

Too much money for what will likely be an incomplete collection of characters. You can't possibly tell me that any of us expect MP version of Whirl, Defensor, Gnaw, or Blitzwing. At the rate they release characters, we'll all be dead. And that assumes the intent IS to produce those characters.

5. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    I wouldn't. I don't think there's any way in hell the MP line will be remotely close as expansive as Classics. But of course if you want to scale down anyway, thats your call. If money isn't an issue I'd just collect both lines.

6. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Once we see enough MPs then my Classics are hitting eBay.

Then again, I never really went for the Classics line "all out". I just have the Japanese versions of Hound, Sideswipe, Sunstreaker, Prowl, Hot Rod, Jazz and Bumblebee and I've always displayed them with MP-8 to MP-10 and the MP-seekers.

But yes, if the MP line can cover the 84/85 bots and some of the movie bots then Classics for me has no purpose.

I might even sell my BT and Alternity figures if the line REALLY wows me. After all - realistic vehicles + detailed adult-collector orientated G1 figures has been the holy grail ever since I picked up BT Smokescreen... And I only really have room for one line.

7. Magnus12

Magnus12 Well-Known Member

Well masterpieces certainly save space. If you only care about the core characters I say go MP! Although if you want a full g1 collection go classics. Personally I would mix&match maybe only get mps of big guys like grimlock who have wierd classics haha

8. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    I've been thinking of a similar idea, but not quite so purist. Binaltech should be included with Masterpiece. Eliminate all classics that have Masterpiece/Binaltech. Then eliminate all Binaltech that get a Masterpiece.

9. AMG

AMG Old School

Process of elimination. I like this idea the most.

10. Peanut04

Peanut04 Under Construction

News Credits:
    I actually did that awhile ago. I got rid of every Transformer I owned. I had about 60% of G1, 100% of RID, 90% of Alternators, and 100% of the classics. I just got kinda sick of all the real estate my collection was taking up in my house. I was starting to have trouble keeping up with all of the lines I was collecting. Couple that with the fact I couldn't display them the way I wanted, I just quit collecting completely. The only things I kept was my Masterpiece Prime, Grimlock, Binaltech red Jazz, Classics Jetfire, Revoltech Prime, Megatron, and Starscream. I've been watching the Masterpiece line pick up steam lately and really like what they have been offering, so I decided to start collecting Masterpiece figures only. I'm not getting the entire line though, I'm sticking to everything after MP-10. The only exception to that was MP-05 Megatron. The only thing I plan to purchase outside of the Masterpiece line is some of the better 3rd party stuff, like Hercules.

11. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    MP only for the win.

12. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    Are you saying that classics figures are and will be worth more than MP's. I doubt that very much.

To all the people saying that MP line won't do every character, it's probably true, but the classics line didn't do all the characters as well if I guess correctly.

13. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike MP & TF Collector

Ebay:
    I would say hold onto your Classics,like others have said it could take 30 years for them to even release the original 27 line that made up the 1984 characters.And sure Classics aren't as detailed as Masterpieces but they are nice in there own way,just keep them I say.

14. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

If what you want is the very best G1, yet modern, representation, then yeah, go for the Masterpiece figures.

For me, I've got MP-1 Prime, MP-5 Megatron, and I'll have Soundwave this winter. If they ever get to a (Porshe) Jazz, then I'll get him and I'll be done with the MPs.

15. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    He said expansive, not expensive :D 

To me there's too much difference in the lines, I can't see one as a substitute for another - it's kind of like comparing Classics to Alternators. There's different strengths and weaknesses to each. I'm not sure what I would do if I had to choose one over the other.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  16. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Volcanicus Torso

News Credits:
    Somewhere Wearing The Dinobots As Gloves & Boots
    Thanks for the responses everyone. Please keep 'em coming!!

Peanut, the comment that I bolded is a BIG factor in my own decision.

17. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    If I were you, I'd probably wait until we found out a little more about the new MP line and how far they intend to continue it.

I agree with you that the MP are much more accurate and satisfying representations of the G1 characters than the Classics ever will be. But for all we know, Takara could do 2 or 3 more of the new MPs and just stop because they weren't selling the way they wanted.

18. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    hahahhaa my bad.

19. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I recycle my toys all the time so I voted yes.

20. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Dump them, I guarantee that you won't miss any of those figures. Not that classics is a bad line but it just doesn't compare to the MP figures.

I'd rather have 3-4 STRONG figures every year over 10 repaints :2c: 

[​IMG]

Do it and buy yourself a new TV or PC with the cash left over. It's what I did :)