TF Classics VS TF Masterpiece

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by GrimlockAutobot, Jun 13, 2012.

?

Should I Sell My TF Classics Collection and Go "All In" With this Newer MP Line?

1. Yes.

33 vote(s)
    34.4%
  2. No.

63 vote(s)
    65.6%
  1. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    Am I crazy?

I'm seriously considering selling my Transformers Classics/Henkei/Universe etc. collection so that I can jump on board with this new Masterpiece Line.

For me, it's all about getting the best representation of each G1 Character from my childhood.

Ever since they scaled the MP Line down with the introduction of MP-08 and with the recent teaser images of Sideswipe and Red Alert, IMO the MP line is now the new TF Classics. Does that make sense?

The new MP figures are indeed the best representation of each character IMO.

I'm still trying to decide what to do here. What would you do?

2. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

i think im going to hang onto the classics (i have like them all) and add the masterpiece line as well.

3. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't think Sideswipe makes much of a collection all by himself.

Sure maybe we'll get Prowl and friends, a few other cars, but consider the rate at which these come out. The Masterpiece line would have to go on for a VERY long time to even get in the same ballpark as Classicversegen.

Perhaps it would help us help you if you told us what your current collection looked like and what members of it you consider essential.

4. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    Well since you say you want the best representation of G1, you CAN'T go past the MP line.

5. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    I have a LARGE collection of Classics.

The only ones in my Classics collection I consider essential are United Megatron, Grimlock (of course) and Rodimus/Hot Rod.

The thing about the Masterpiece figures coming out gradually is what appeals to me.

I'm getting tired of hunting the Classics figures down when they come out....the time in between would give me a much needed breather and instead of chasing down an entire wave (or two) the MP line consists of hunting down only a figure or two at a time.

Plus, I think my collection is getting too big....I'm starting to appreciate quality over quantity.

6. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I get what you mean. Some of the CHUG TFs don't cut it and I wished they were more closer to their original G1 counterparts. E.g. Mirage and Optimus and even Megatron.

Those that make the cut are the Prowl mold, Ironhide mold, the Seekers, Jazz, Sideswipe, Soundstreaker, Hound and Wheeljack.

If you are patient, then you should focus on the MP line. I got a feeling TakaraTomy is going full steam ahead. If they live up to their promise of scaling the MP line and maintain a consistent good QC, it will be the TF line for G1 fans. I only hope there won't be a global recession that may slow down the plans for the line.

7. scoobsterinc

scoobsterinc Scoobs

News Credits:
    I wouldnt sell all your classics since the masterpiece line is really slow when bringing out new figures I woud buy masterpiece figures with your spare money

8. Optimus Bruce

Optimus Bruce Human Germ

Exactly the same for me.

Once I hit my late teens the original toys went into the loft, but then in my late 20s I stumbled across MP04 and all of a sudden I was 6 again!

Be warned though, I doubt you will stick with just MP10 onwards once you get the taste....

Check this out as a preview of what awaits you should you make the leap :

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...case/611786-optimus-bruces-mp-collection.html

9. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Well, I guess it depends on what kind of fan you are. Since you describe yourself as a purist G1 fan, yeah, maybe that's the best thing for you (though you'll be in for a loooong wait to get a full '84-'86 lineup; chances are it will never actually be completed).

Myself, I wouldn't do it. Classics =/= G1, they are two distinctly different lines and offer different collecting experiences. I enjoy the re-imagined neo-G1 aspect of Classics, while still of course appreciating the faithful G1-ness of the new Masterpiece approach. I'll be continuing to collect both lines, and feel like I'll get a lot of satisfaction out of both of them.

10. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    If you want to sell off a huge classics collection for a MP collection that will only have 3 or 4 releases a year then go for it. MP figures are great and I plan on collecting both.

11. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    this, especially the bolded part. thanks for saving me the typing.

12. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well it really sounds like you just want a smaller collection of higher quality pieces. So go for it, but what I wouldn't count on is them releasing everything, or even one particular thing, that you want. You can't assume MPs are going to be around for 20 years.

As for Classic Grimlock, I already sold his ass off when MP arrived, and I only keep Classics Rod because MP is too big to pose with lots of other guys. :lol 

13. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    Do it. Classics are shit. Get in with a proper collectors line.

14. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    If you don't mind spending Japanese import prices go ahead. But if you don't, tru is a pain and classics figures are everywhere.

15. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm thinking about starting to collect MPs, but I'm definitely keeping my Classics. I'd wait for more MPs to come out before making a decision now.

16. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

I think some of the talk about the direction of the MP line is premature.

Yes, there's been some new molds announced but 1 Lamborghini license is no guarantee of more new Autobot car molds ( except maybe Sunstreaker ) which is what some people seem to be assuming.

If they happen then great, it's about time Takara gave us more "ultimate" versions of the G1 designs to accompany iGear's PP series and Mini Warriors but I take nothing for granted and wouldn't be at all suprised if Soundwave is the last all new mold for a good while....unless they do several of his minions which would be smaller and less complex to produce.

I grew tired of the reimagined style during Generations/United and have recently decided to offload everything I have which is 90% of my Autobot collection and a couple of Decepticons.

17. droseprime1

droseprime1 Well-Known Member

Go for mp's!

There really awesome and accurate and its all about quality not quantity when collecting (well for some:)  )

18. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

i really dont trust has/tak to follow through with the mp line. a complete classics collection with some 3rd party help is really impressive and has almost all the characters represented properly. i cant trade that for a POSSIBLE future line. I am going to try to keep up with the mp releases though.

19. seali_me

seali_me Well-Known Member

I was thinking about the same thing. I'd wait a little bit more.

I want to see more before I pull.

20. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    Dude, do BOTH! I love my Henkei , United collection. In a way, I look at them as more of the G1 updates, an my MP's as just that.