TF Character Designs and Marketing

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Detractacon86, Feb 24, 2007.

1. Detractacon86

Detractacon86 New Member

But also keep in mind this is a project that requires a very strong artistic eye. Some of the designs are just ugly, some are okay, some are way off. I'm willing to bet that the designs were hastily approved for one reason or another. There is no doubt about that. I don't mind the streamlined look, but the TFs look rushed; maybe 2-3 more drafts should have been done.

You are correct, but I wouldn't fit into the same category as those fans. This is different, with TFs, the narrative is secondary to the appearance. With this film, its a popcorn flick, so I'm not really expecting anything fantastic from the script. Its the presentation primarily. They would have been better off not trying to introduce the movie as G1 because then fans expectations get skewed.

I'm am not saying that toys are the only reason they changed the designs (though I bet it played a role). It was just an example for why marketing was especially important for this film. I could also talk about the GM deal and how the chevy insignia was so cleverly flashed across the screen on BB's grille (where an Autobot sign should be) but I think that is self explanatory.

-Come'On guys, let's be OPTIMistic: 1)If I see it beforehand and I don't like it, then I don't get that PO'ed feeling when I'm in a theater and I know I blew money on a scrubby film. 2)If I see it beforehand and I like it, I might just let my friends drag me into the theater to see it. That's all, my perfect plan for a film like this...

I am totally up for it. I think it would be a fun way to vent out frustrations. Anybody can join in if they want. I get first dibs on Megatron...

2. turk128

turk128 Well-Known Member

I also can't wait for the fan made movie that will blow away effects done by ILM, too ;) 

3. turk128

Detractacon86, you might think Bay doesn't have a 'strong artistic eye' (that's overlooking all his work) but with Speilberg and ILM behind him, it doesn't matter. Van Helsing was a POS but it was filled with great designs and art thanks to ILM.

And you don't hastily approve anything when it comes to big blockbusters. Practically everything is planned out ahead of time, any changes are in the form of 'tweaks' (i.e. minor detail changes). A rushed production on any blockbuster can be smelt from a mile away (i.e. internet and Hollywood dirt sheet would be talking about it). The fact that you're practically the first to suggest/insist this, is very telling.

When the 'Art of Transformers' book eventually comes out, the numerous art pieces and designs found in said book would barely scratch the surface of what ILM does with any production. They don't think in one or two more drafts, they think in how many possible variations can you have, no limit.

4. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I think you understand that's trictly subjective and just your opinion, so while I strongly disagree, I won't bother arguing.
    Every fan thinks he doesn't fall into that category. Every fan thinks the object of his admiration is special and its plight is unique. And while the plot may indeed be secondary to the presentation (as is usually the case with Transformers), we haven't seen that full presentation yet; merely parts of what's going to be presented. And even so, the presentation is secondary to the concept, which is quite intact. Not much more than that concept was ever suitable for a live action movie for adults and teens.
    Yeah, the GM deal is there, certainly. Neither Bay nor Spielberg are any stranger to product placement (Microsoft in The Island, Reece's Pieces in E.T.). I doubt it affected the aesthetic direction of the film, however. The vehicle modes are the most traditional aspect of these designs, Megatron excluded. And if the thought of toys affected the movie designs at all, it probably held them back from being even more radical. Again, the designs had to be something that Hasbro could reasonably make a halfway accurate toy out of. Otherwise, they could go as nuts as they wanted with it.

5. viper2391

viper2391 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yap watched them all in horror! Apparently Bay is only good a blowing things up. Period.

6. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    No kidding. I once saw a Making of SW Episode 3 that included a bit where they were choosing a design for General Grievous. They had literally HUNDREDS of concept art on a 15-20 meter wall, and they choose the one we know because of the head (the rest of the body was the basic skeleton frame of that specific concept art, and they added the rest from about 10 different concepts). ILM has a SERIOUS eye to detail for that kind of thing.

7. turk128

What they won't even let anyone get a glimpse of is the erotic spoofs the artists do on any given production ;) 

ILM gets the cream of the crop, the best of the best. It's mind boggling how much talent can be found there (ditto Weta). I think artists with self grandious view of themselves should be forced to take a short tour of ILM, it's very much an ego check; i.e. check your ego at the door or else there's gonna be alot of mental trauma.