TF Character Designs and Marketing

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Detractacon86, Feb 24, 2007.

1. Detractacon86

Detractacon86 New Member

The recent TFMovie designs can be attributed more towards marketing than anything else. It was a no brainer they would change the appearance of the TFs. All it takes is a look back at some of the scrapped concepts for recent comic movies to know this.

Transformers obviously has greater marketing potential than any recent comic film because of the toys. Keeping the G1 designs the same would leave little room for marketing. Its a smart business move to change their appearance for this. Everyone is acting like if the blocky-bot models were maintained that the robots would look more G1ish. This is only half true.

The blocky-bot models would still be altered in some sort of way to fit the marketing demand so that complaints could still be received from hardcore fans. An example is Armada/Energon etc., which keep the blocky appearance, but are still sometimes hated on by G1 fans.

Bay's explanation for the sleeker, sexier look only explains a portion of the character design rant. Regardless of how the bodies look, you can still retain the basic definitive features of the robots. For example, "movie" Prime has chest windows with a "mouthplate" and a G1 shaped helmet, etc. Every TF has a distinct feature that is recognizable for that character, and is capable of being retained despite any alterations in design. If you look at the movie concepts, you will see that the further you get from Prime, the further this principle is lost. This lack of consistency is confusing especially when considering Megatron.

At the bottom line, Michael Bay, who originally dismissed the project, is more into the film because of the Box Office potential instead of being a fan himself. This could result in a failure to recognize why fans feel a connection to the TFs. Films like LotR would have been horrendously thrashed if Peter Jackson had a similar outlook. If the director is not a fan, it will show in the film.

Michael Bay's lack of attention to detail might have little effect on the masses, but could lead big fans like myself to download the film for free instead of hitting the theater on release day.

2. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Okay, I'll bite.
    You're right that marketing is a reason for the design changes, but it's not about the toys. To begin with, if the designs are the way they are because of the toys, they wouldn't have gone in a direction that makes it so difficult to make accurate toys. Also, the fact that the so-called G1 "look" has existed before wouldn't in itself keep the film or the merchandise from selling if they did go with more faithful designs. The change of visual identity is needed to sell the movie, not the toys. The movie designs need to express that it isn't about the toys or about "cartoon" robots for larger audiences to take the film seriously.
    All of the Autobots have something in common with their G1 counterparts. Prime, Bumblebee, and Jazz should be obvious. Ratchet has an updated version of the original's alt mode. Ironhide sports the crest on the top of his head, even if his face is different and there's more stuff on his head. As for the Decepticons, the two most important ones do have several touches from the originals, but they are subtle. The other deceps are pretty much all-new characters.
    I'm sorry, but "DUH". Prime is trying to hide. Megatron is not, as he thinks it's beneath him. If you've been following the movie info at all for any length of time, you'd know that.
    If you watch the interviews with Michael Bay, it should be obvious that he's genuinely very excited about the film. The man is passionate about making big flashy action movies. Fan or not, what draws him to the film is what he can do with it on the screen. That kind of attitude is our best chance at getting a quality film and not just a massive fan-wank that nobody else will watch.
    Do you have any idea how many hardcore LOTR fans bash those films for not being faithful to the source material? Believe me, there are plenty of them out there.
    Go ahead. It won't make one bit of difference.

3. OmegaVPrime

OmegaVPrime Uhm, yea? So what?

Ebay:
    And today class FlamePanther will be dicecting the daily posts, watch and learn :lol 

4. flamepanther

I find it's easier not to miss any important points when answering long posts that way. Some people hate it. Too bad for them. :p 

5. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    bay's lack of attention to detail? have you never watched any of his movies?

6. OmegaVPrime

Ebay:
    Eh amen to that, I think the best point made was that its not going to matter if anyone downloads it of the internet, its still going to make some good money.

Eh just my opinion :) 

7. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    big deal, as if fans downloading would even account for the tiniest of percentages of a movie's income....

8. OmegaVPrime

Ebay:
    Eh sorry for the tid of rasionalitie on the boards Detractacon, weve have been down these roads before in earlier threads and it has become quite frowned upon on the possibilities of downloading runing the movie . All the same welcome to TFW2005! :lol 

9. Drax

Drax The Dark Light

Damn guys it doesnt take all of you against this one guy. He was just stating his opinion(s) and he had some thought out points but i guess overall i think he missed a few detailed parts of the movie that had been released. Still i dont think all of you should go against him.. if anything keep youre comments more neutral and not so many " you are going down! i will take youre stupid points apart and make you look like an idiot!" attitudes. Thats just my O, im just here trying to help no one out but keep everything balanced.

10. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

I think we should derail this thread into the : Are you going to D/L the movie or watch in Theatres?

For me, I will go no matter what people say. How often does a TF movie come out? I think the fans owe it to Transformers to see the film.

11. Ultimate_Menasor

Ultimate_Menasor peanut butter jelly time!

exactly how i feel Gnaw...I'm going to see it too. i honestly dont care if
    it's NOT G1..

12. turk128

turk128 Well-Known Member

Heh, I was scratching my head at that, too.

Flamepanther, great job of taking the stick away from another beaten dead horse. IMO, I love the way you handled that, almost teacher-like.

13. Poho

News Credits:
    im with you. irregardless of whether or not it stays true to G1, there is going to be a high-budget movie with transformers in it made by the best CGI company on the planet. why would you not see it? did all those G1 die-hards complain when RiD, Energon, and Cybertron came out? i dont remember any of those guys looking anything like G1...

14. OmegaVPrime

Ebay:
    True a little change goes a long ways when you think about it, well in this case translating a transformer in 2007 from 1986 lol but IMO

I tihnk we will be paying for a great movie this year, plus Pirates of the Carribean comes out in like nothing shorter than a month, gotta go see it :D 

15. Poho

News Credits:
    not to mention 300, and the last Bourne movie.

16. Detractacon86

Detractacon86 New Member

This supports what I said earlier, the further you get from Prime, the more distinction you lose with each robot. I don't mind the "sleekness" , that is not the point because you can still keep the definitive features of each 'Bot regardless. To be honest, it looked like they didn't care or ran out of time. Either of these is actually more reasonable than a lack of attention to detail (I kinda got carried away).

I figured it was something like that, which is why I deleted that phrase. Apparently it was still there somehow for you to see...hmmm I'll look into that.

I have no doubt the film will have jaw-dropping action, that's what Bay does. But action alone does not a good film make. The CG animators deserve the real credit before Bay gets any. Do you have any idea the nightmare those guys will have transforming these new intricate TFs? My hats off to them, maybe later I'll rent the DVD just to see how much sleep those guys lost trying to get it done before the deadline.

The extended versions are much closer to the source material than many people think. Plus the changes made were not as drastic as what is being done with this TF flick.

If you want to buy into what Hollywood tells you the TFs are, then go for it. I just happen to disagree. Not to mention I could design better TFs for a movie. Anyone up for a mock TF movie design fanart contest-poll?

17. OmegaVPrime

Ebay:
    Well, as much as I admire your persona, its not the best idea. Be thankfull we are going to get a TF movie :thumb 

18. Longhaul53

Longhaul53 Guest

I think it's a very bold statement to say that you can design better TFs than some of the top entertainment design talent in the world... But, on the other hand - seeing is believing - so no one can really Credit/Discredit your statement until you show us your goods. Personally, i think it's a cool idea to do the mock TF Movie design Fan Art poll thingie...

Do you have any art in the fan-art forums? Or a link to a website showing off your design chops?

19. flamepanther

And someone who isn't a life-long fan does not necessarily a bad film make. He's into the concept now, and that's what matters most. Keep in mind, he's not the one writing the scripts, he's not the one making the designs, and he's not the only person who decides to use what he got. Tom and Don appear to be fans, at least to some degree. Spielberg has been a fan since G1 started. They had to approve the script and the designs too, and they have a lot of say in what kind of film Bay makes. Bay tells the actors, effects engineers, and stunt crews what to do, and decides how what he's given to work with is going to look on screen. That's a lot of control, but not total control.
    ...which is a lot less drastic than a lot of the hardcore TF fans are making it out to be. The plot had to be tweaked or it would be a disaster. The biggest changes are just cosmetic. Rule of thumb: the most inflexible hardcore fans of any property will always think that their movie is unacceptably and drastically off-base from the source. It's true of LOTR, it's true of Harry Potter, and it's true of Spider-Man.
    I'll buy into what I think Transformers are. In terms of taking the basic concept of G1 and turning it into something that's aimed at teens and adults in a more mainstream audience, we seem to be getting about what I expected. Take the traditional G1 fiction, take the cartoony Diaclone toys out of it, take (most of) the stupidity and aimless storytelling out of it, and streamline what's left for a two-hour story. That's the best they could possibly do. I'm going to ignore your idle boasting about designs.

In any case, I'm pretty sure your notion of the designs being chosen in order to sell toys is way off. Even if they had been, that would be perfectly true to what Transformers has been in the past. As it is, this is the first time high profile Transformers media hasn't been centered around the toys.

20. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I always love it when this statement shows up in most of the movie threads...I get a good laugh out of it:lol