TF cartoon fiction: storytelling/characters

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by KA, Mar 3, 2007.

1. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    just mulling abt the upcoming 'heroes' series and decided to post a rundown of past series:

G1- lotsa stereotypes between both factions. autobot notable was bumblebee, a kid friendly character that was divorced from a brash, young but up n coming dude which was introduced via hot rod. prime was untouchable, unlike rodimus who was flawed.

decepts basically had the megs/starscream dynamic, repeated much in future series except BW.

BW - bumble and hot rod was merged into one character, cheetor. a different prime, one that was developing his leadership.

decepts had the super cool and competent baddie megs, skorponok/ravage were there as rebellious characters but not played up, more as sub plot. the introduction of baddie comedic relief waspinator, stereotype later used with energon garbage truck guy and yodelling snowmobile guy.

skip to AEC - similar to BW, but the starscream is reintroduced to create tension in decepts rank.

look fwd to thoughts and input on other series as well, and potential implied for heroes.

2. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    my own hope for heroes:

bots
    - untouchable prime type
    - cheetor type
    - mentor type, rhinox/red alert

cons
    - BW like megs
    - waspy type character
    - starscream

3. butz

butz slippery when wet

Wait, BW Scorpinok was rebellious?? I thought he was one of BW Megaton's most fiercely loyal followers?

4. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    oops sorry, i meant tarantulus as a subversive type.

5. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Based on the rumor mill from other threads, "Heroes" is supposed to have a 'younger' Optimus (I'm guessing that means a more Primal-like style of leadership, or maybe angsty Rodimus on the outside), Bumblebee (not sure if we're going for the Bumblebee or Hot Rod archetype here), and Ultra Magnus (no idea if he'll be G1 "I'm just a soldier" or RiD "STFU, I hate all you guys!" :)  ) Dunno too much about the Decepticon side, but there's a Megatron and a Starscream, so that probably is self-evident there.

6. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I always thought the contrast between pre- and post-movie G1 was notable.

Pre- had iconic embodiments of their respective faction's ideals. Prime was a crusader for freedom, without exception. Megatron was strength and conquest personified. Even their flaws are secondary to those ideals--Prime's weakness was compassion, Megs' was his singlemindedness.

Post- had flawed, all too mortal individuals. Hot Rod, despite the matrix, was a weak, unsure leader. Despite his self-doubt, he did try to do his best. Galvatron was batshit-insane.

I really view the two periods as gods vs men. I could enjoy either properly done, but I'm leaning towards Heroes being more of the latter, based on the view leaks we've had and the trend of recent popular cartoons in general to create a more personal conflict (like with Avatar, Naruto, etc.).

7. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    ooh, good post.

8. ZeroMayhem

ZeroMayhem Henshin a Go-Go Baby!

The megs/starscream dynamic I always felt was a small part of season 1 of BW with the Megatron/Terrorsaur relationship (the first BW I saw was the one with the floating island where Terrorsaur trys to take over). Their relationship during S1 wasn't played up quite as much as G1, but I think it was there. However once Terrorsaur died they moved on to more complex character dynamics within the show.

9. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    terrorsaur became redundant when BA came into the picture. how starscream had an inclination towards the good guys side was also an aspect in armada, which i like.

the thing terrorsaur, an agenda-less rebelliousness was just pointless.

10. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    Terrorsaur was practically a parody of Starscream. It's good that he died, but it really should have been by Megatron's hand.

Tarantulas doesn't deserve to be lumped in with that type. He wasn't rebelling against Megatron, he was running his own agenda the entire time, and he was doing it sucessfully. He didn't scream "Megatron is a fool! I am rightful leader!" like an idiot, he went out of his way to avoid scrutiny.

11. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    oi squirrelcar check your private messages, you never picked up your sig!!!

12. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I remembered reading somewhere that Terrorsaur was written out because the VA was asked to leave as he was er, dislike?

13. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    One of the things that made BW special (to me anyway) was the introduction of personal agendas, with lots of characters (especially on the Predacon side) doing what was best for them and their own goals, and keeping their true intentions a secret to those around them.

14. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    hells yeah. that was what i found endearing with g1 season 2, despite being hokey and lacking and overall plot arc, took time to explore individual bots motivations.