2D Artwork: TF card game

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by CrashElements, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Listen to Aernaroth :) 

2. CrashElements

CrashElements Customizur

I did :)  tacking what he sed into considereration thats were the hole starting of with points at the begining came from read my second last post i mentioned what im gana be changing and thanx :) 

3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Well, this is going to really be determined by how you want the game to play out, and what you want the objective to be. Using other TCGs as an example, many times the objective is to break through defenses and directly damage the player or otherwise exhaust their resources, until a certain limit is reached. In others, the objective is to have total control over territory, and others still, to eliminate a certain number of troops available to the opponent. And then there's ones that are a race to win a certain number of points.

You have to decide what kind of gameplay you want in the game, and then structure that game around the objective. Do you want the game to be heavily momentum based, where a player can take an advantage and then capitalize upon it, utterly and totally defeating their opponent and taking complete control of the game? Or do you want the game to be very back and forth and based on countering, with an ending outcome with only a small difference between the situations of the players? It's sort of hard to think about in advance, and playtesting is a big help in this, even at such an early stage (you don't have to play an entire game, just maybe play a few cards agaisnt eachother and see what happens if players do different things).

Remember that bigger numbers (as in YuGi Oh) just make the math harder, and slow down the gameplay in general. It's better to use smaller numbers, or even counters, from my experience, in tracking health and damage. Want a card to take 1-5 hits before it goes down? Go with that, don't multiply those numbers by 20 for the sake of making it seem more like a video game. I like the idea of equipment as a modifier for the character cards, and counters would make it pretty easy to track usage, but at the same time, necessitating the use of weapons and ammunition would be one more thing for the player to keep track of. The simpler you can make the game, the easier it will be for players to pick it up, the faster and more intense the gameplay can be, and (in my experience) the more enjoyable it will be.

Keep in mind above all else, that card games are a completely different medium than video games, and that what works in one will not necessarily work in another. You have to approach a card game as it's own medium, and plan it accordingly. You can draw concepts and abilities and characters from the video games, but be careful how you do so.

I'd really reccommend looking into the rules for the GI Joe and the World of Warcraft trading card games, they might have some useful information in terms of gameplay mechanics.

edit: I had another idea. Are there any comic shops around you, or gaming shops? Many of these have league nights for various collectible card games. I'm sure they wouldn't mind if you went to one or two to watch, which would expose you to not only how some of the games you're less familiar with work, but how people approach playing them. Just be courteous, honest, and unintrusive to the people playing.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  4. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Like the artwork for the cards, and other than a little stretch for Bee the bots look pretty good, don't want to get into the details of how you intend to play the game, but I like the pretty cards you've made so far. :) 

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    If you're using Photoshop, when you scale you can hold the Shift key while you scale the image to retain the original properties. Since we've been discussing that point as well, I thought I'd through that tip out there (Ctrl+T/hold Shift>use mouse tool to scale).

6. Slipstreamer 8

Slipstreamer 8 Well-Known Member

Would like to see Airachnid and Knock out

7. CrashElements

CrashElements Customizur

Ok il make those 2 for the next 2 examples when i redo the cards according to every ones suggestions. Thanx every one who commented sorry il get back to every one when im home its hard repling to every ones coments via cell phone. Be on the look out il be showng the next cards on sunday :) 

8. CrashElements

CrashElements Customizur

Knock Out

here is Knock Out like Slipstreamer 8 requested the empty part on him is were im planing on putting the new attack info and sumining info haven't figer it out yet so its just blank for now. still working on Airachnid but i cant find the tec speks for her if eny one can just give them to me pls. when i have a full working game il upload all the prime cards reworked with all the new stuff. then later move onto the udder TF cast. tanx to evrey one whose bin siporting me and giving advice

Attached Files:

9. Ranger Silver 6

Ranger Silver 6 Avatar by Pinpoint

In my opinion the best way would be to include the bots personal weapon on the card, but have it make no affect on the cards stats. Then the seperate weapons cards would have affects like firepower +2 and the like. Have players choose the stats they want to use unless a location card overrides it. Best way I can explain it is to look at the top Trumps transformers cards, but remove the alt form cards. I am not the best at getting my thoughts out of my head so I hope that made sense.

10. CrashElements

CrashElements Customizur

thanx il look into that :)  maby at the end of all this il try tirn this card game into a flash game or sum thing so under ppl can play aswel

11. CrashElements

CrashElements Customizur

base cards

these are the cards you need to destroy to win the game destroy all 5 base cards of your opponent and you win this isnt the final templet but just the concept idea

Attached Files:

12. Ranger Silver 6

Ranger Silver 6 Avatar by Pinpoint

You might want to have different names for the different pieces of the base. Maybe something like hull, reactor, engines. Just a thought.

13. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I like the idea of destroying locations or base elements, but how would you destroy them? What conditions would a player need to meet to reach, attack, and disable one of the sections? How would this tie into how other location cards are played?

14. CrashElements

CrashElements Customizur

ya i will do that this was just to show you guys the concept idea. the cards will be a different color and have different names. Just wanted o see if you guys like the idea of havng the ship in parts as a base card before i spend time on all the detail on the card

15. CrashElements

CrashElements Customizur

How to Win

Attack your opponent with your Bot. Each time one of your bots attacks your opponent and isn't blocked, it destroy one or more of the opponent's base cards. When your opponent has no base cards left, have one of your bots attack him one more time to win.

Turn Order

1. Draw a card.

Only the person who plays first skips drawing a card on his first turn. Drawing a card means taking it from the top of your deck and putting it into your hand. As soon as you draw the last card of your deck, you lose.

2. Play cards.

You can play as many bot, field, weapon, and defense cards as your energon points can afford during this step. You can play any card in any order.

3. Attack with your bot

You can attack with your bots in the battle zone. You can't attack with bots you just put into the battle zone "unless there ability allows them to" this turn because they are being bereft on the battle. As many of your bots as you want can attack each turn. Choose one, have it attack, choose another one, have that one attack, and so on.

You cannot play a bot, field, weapon, and defense cards, after one of your bots attacks.

4. End your turn.

Tell your opponent you're done. Now it's your opponent's turn! Continue taking turns until one of you wins.

How to play a bot

Choose a bot from your hand. The cost for a bot is in the bottom right corner. If you can't pay the cost, you can't play the bot. You pay a cost's cost by subtracting the cost from your energon total. After you pay for a bot, put it into the battle zone. There's no limit to the number of bots you can have in the battle zone. bots can't attack on the turn they have bin put into the battle zone "unless there ability allows them to" this turn because they are being bereft on the battle. They will be able to attack on your next turn.

sum thing like that for the game so far

16. CrashElements

CrashElements Customizur

autobots

the cards look sum thing like this now with attack points the have a cost and kill points

Attached Files:

17. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Like the shots/poses you chose for the Autobots! :thumb 

The Nemesis cards are interesting...takes all 5 of them and the ship stretches across all 5. Will the writing/description change from card to card or be the same as it is now? Just curious.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  18. CrashElements

CrashElements Customizur

thank you :) 

19. CrashElements

CrashElements Customizur

small bumbibee

Attached Files:

20. Bumblebee765

Bumblebee765 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Looking good, I look forward to seeing more of these. :thumb