TF Artist battle thread. Likes/Dislikes Love/Hate HERE!

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Shin Densetsu, Nov 17, 2006.

1. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    Okay fellas. We have the artists we like and dislike, some of us are very opinionated, some of us understand, some of don't. Some of us take constructive criticism personal, some of us think some of the artists are the best thing since sliced bread.

Whatever. This is the tf artists discussion, DISCUSS THE TF ARTISTS! ANY OF THEM!

Me, I like Don Figueroa, Joe Ng, and James Raiz. James Raiz rules!

2. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

I don't know much about them, but the TF artist that has stuck out in my mind is Guido Guidi. Usually I don't check the names of the TF artists unless i'm really impressed. Every time i've checked it turns out to be a picture from Guido.

3. butz

butz slippery when wet

I like just about anything that isn't by Pat Lee. Its amazing how he could take something as simple as Prime's chest and make it look so terrible.

4. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Guido Guidi is my absolute favorite by far. distant second is Hirofumi Ichikawa, and third is Don Figueroa.

5. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    Ichikawa rules!! I also like the artists that did the dynamic looking g1 manga. The guy who drew the cover for THS-02 ehobby black convoy is awesome as well.

Guido really came into his own with the hearts of steel minis. Thats what made me give a 2nd glance to his work.

6. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    My favourite artists are Don Figueroa and Guido Guidi.

Does anybody like Floro Dery's work? If not, then you are a racist.

Well, according to him, anyway.

7. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    At the moment, my top two are Don and Su. Both have a great style that works amazingly well with robots all around. I'd like to see Don draw some Brave stuff sometime. :D 

8. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    My personal favorite is DON. I've been intrigued by his stuff since he did Macromasters. His style reminds me an awful lot of what I remember fondly when I think about Transformers - giant, proud, strong machines. The attitude and emotion he puts into each character's image is just amazing.

9. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

Guido Guidi and Don Figueroa are both my faves.

10. SubotaiBaghatur

SubotaiBaghatur Borys of Ebe

I really liked Andy Wildman when he took over Marvel G1 towards the end of that run. The art had been so inconsistent on that book his pencils were a nice addition. Although a little rough and angular, Geoff Senior wasnt too bad either.

These days I would have to go with Don, his stuff really stands out. I liked the pencils, inking, and colors on Stormbringer, probably the series I have most enjoyed since Furman's G1 stuff.

11. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Don and Guido, everyone else I dont pay much attention to, although Alex Milen and Joe Ng are good too.

12. ZeroMayhem

ZeroMayhem Henshin a Go-Go Baby!

Makotron, no question my fav. His work is dynamic and outstanding. Also several japanese guys whos names I unfortunately don't know.

13. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

I'm surprised that EJ Su isn't getting more love. His work really appeals to me. I find it really refreshing to see work with such a strong linearity, that doesn't rely overly on slick computer colouring effects. Though I'll admit that he needs to work on his humans...

What I like most about his stuff is that rather than looking at -anime- as his influence, he looks to -manga-. Too many artists (especially at DW) misunderstood that computer colouring and anime-styling does not necessarily make for good comic book storytelling. Manga is a true comic-book narrative medium, and Su really knows how to work that angle. He tells a story and captures action very well. The sharp detail and realism of the robots and tech is nice as well. His Megatron is one of my faves to date. Also, his covers for IDW have been awesome.

Don is one of the better TF artists working the current "standard" anime style... I love his work when it comes to straight character art and illustrations. However, I still find that his visual storytelling is cramped, and perhaps hampered by his style to a degree. He doesn't handle "action" so well.

And although it's been said many times before... damn, I wish William Johnson had stuck around longer on the Marvel Transformers book! His "Warrior School" still stands as one of the best 2 issues of any TF series in my opinion. While still working in a nice simple style, he imbued the characters with a lot of life and movement.... and he was clearly someone who understood how to do comics... his use of panelling, framing and mood really stands out.

14. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

Favorites are DON, Joe Ng (aka ngboy) and Makotron.

15. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    I wish the inkers/colorists would get much more credit than they ever do. As great as some of the artists truly are, much of their work wouldn't have 1/10 the impact it does if it wasn't colored so nicely. Not to mention the skill it takes to even decipher some of the art they're given. Much of it looks very sketched before an inker gets through with it and defines everything, so their eye for detail is probably more spot on that anyone's.

Inkers are like the drummers of the comic world :)  Hardly anyone notices or appreciates them even though their 1/2 of the final output.

16. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    Hmm. I think my all time favourite is still Geoff Senior. Can't even really explain why, but I just love it. Totally seems to fit Transformers.

My 2 current favourites, though are DON and EJ Su. Su's work looks best uncoloured, though. Just the linework is amazing. As for Don... just, man, he's so creative. I love all his re imaginings.

17. Harbinger

Harbinger ecnayonnA

that Harbringer/Annoyance guy. his 3d stuff was so cool. but the slack bastard has given up on it now it seems.

18. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    I wouldn't say 1/10 the impact, the penciler sets the stage, good colors can't save a bad drawing.

While EJ's work is looking better in Escalation, I wish he would pay more attention to the accuracy of the alternate modes for the transformers. I don't mind his covers, they have a nice painted approach to them, however look at the way he drew the F-22 alt modes for the seekers, once I saw those(amongst other things as well aside those) I couljdn't help but be dissapointed. To be fair, in my opinion though, there aren't many people in the comic industry to begin with that can draw planes well. I love the Ultimates comics drawn by Bryan Hitch and I was pretty dissapointed the minute I saw him draw planes in the background since they were so innaccurate(the ones where they are more prominent are not so bad). That said I do like the consistency in EJ's work, and the story/visuals have a high level of clarity. Thicker contour lines for the inks could help too(HAH I remember that one time I got flamed here for saying that).

As far as anime styled or influenced artists, I'm REALLY feeling Makotron's work right now. His Sixshot is awesome and his drawings truly evoke nostalgia but in a fresh, dynamic way.

19. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Don, Andy Wildman (especially when inked by Stephen Baskerville), EJ Su, & Mako.

20. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I'd say Guido Guidi and Marcelo Matere are my current favourites (not to mention absolutely fantastic guys to meet and talk to), and I have an excellent piece from Alex Milne as well. I saw a picture of Cyclonus on a throne by Makotron which I thought was absolutely scintillating. Where can I find more of his work?

As for fan artists, I'm with Paul Vromen all the way.

All the best
    Maz