TF:Animated vs. The Live-Action Movie

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Pauly T, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Pauly T

Pauly T Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    OK, this isn't "which is better?" or any other typical "versus" type stuff, but I've noticed something with all the TF2 stuff blowing up here recently:

If TFA is the "kids show" and TF2 is the "ultra-realistic/bad-ass/more mature" incarnation, how come, for the most part, the TFA discussions are reasonable, rational, and filled with a lot of people who understand the workings of animation while the movie threads are filled with rancor, bickering, and include a significant number of posters whose speculation seems to indicate they don't have the slightest clue as to how a movie is made?

I just find it perplexing, is all...

2. rabbid1

rabbid1 Well-Known Member

Seems to me that a post like this just wants to start a fight.

3. red00wolf

red00wolf Insatiable collector

He has somthing of a point though.

4. rabbid1

rabbid1 Well-Known Member

I've seen flame wars over the movie and flame wars over animated, with folk on either side of the issue being either trolls or reasonable.

However, anyone who says:
    "the movie threads are filled with rancor, bickering, and include a significant number of posters whose speculation seems to indicate they don't have the slightest clue as to how a movie is made"
    Is picking a fight.

So fine: TF Movie critics are ignorant while TF Animated fans are enlightened.

So why would someone who finds the arguements "perplexing" set out to start another fight?

5. Harbinger

Harbinger ecnayonnA

thems fighting words!

6. Prowl_Delta_31

Prowl_Delta_31 Eating your donuts

News Credits:
    I love them both just for what they are.......but........I will throw another wrench in the works..................Nothing will ever be as good as G1. What,What? Yeah I said it.

7. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

Totally agree with the wrench thrown. :) 

8. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think one of the unique factors of the movie is that, as such a wide and popular release, it's brought in a lot of more casual and older fans who tend to be very vocal about the changes from the G1 cartoon.

Animated, on the other hand, is really only being watched by those of us who really want to see it. There are some people who really hate the designs, but by and large most of them have either ignored the show or given it a shot and moved on.

9. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Oh, I'll throw another one in! Nothing will ever be as good as MARVEL G1! YEAH TAKE THAT HATERS!!!! :lol 

Seriously though... while the OP has a point to some extent... it does look as though he's trying to start a fight (even if it's unintentional on his part). And, to be frank, I saw a lot of flam wars start over Animated when it first came out at the beginning of the year that were just as bad as the crap that goes on in the movie threads (which is why I eventually bowed out of the movie threads last movie).

The only difference seems to be that the people whom have negative opinions about Animated seem to have stopped going into the Animated forums and posting. Which is a shame, because as long as a descenting opinion is presented in a well thought out and reasonable matter I see no reason for it to be a bad thing. It is someone's opinion after all.

10. wipeyourfeet

wipeyourfeet Winner of the Internet

News Credits:
    How long before this thread is locked?

I think the reason there are considerable more flame wars over the Movie is because this is the event that showcases our fandom to a huge international audience. It could make lots of people hate our hobby if it sucks.

Animated is a tribute to G1. IN MY OPINION (note: not against those who think otherwise) I think G1 was great but Animated is better in terms of toys and the cartoon, but G1 has that nostalgic value to it. It is less main stream so less people care about how it impacts upon people.

But thats just my two cents.

11. Raven Zombie

Raven Zombie Liege Ravnos Muerte

hats along the lines of what im thinking.
    plus, the fact is, you watch the movie for a couple hours, its over, you either liked it or not.
    animated, is a half hour show, that could change your mind every week, and in the long run, is longer.

now if you only compare the movie to the first 3 eppisodes, as a movie... the oppinions would be alot different.

12. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Perhaps the Animated team is just better at PR with the old fans than the movie team is.

Seems like much of the focus for the live action film was on the new fans leaving some older fans with the feeling they had been thrown out with the bath water. Wasn't really helped by reassurance that old fans would feel at home in the new movie only get somewhat relagated to just easter eggs. Easter eggs are fine, but some people were just expecting a lot more. Likely didn't help with people working on the film saying they were fans of Transformers and then we can't even have an arm cannon on Megatron. Plus the directors war with Ain't Cool News often got twisted around as to attacks on other fans which didn't really help some fans feel at home but at war instead.

Animated gives us enough nods to all the different series that it really shows the people working on it are as hard core as any Transformers geek here. Sort of harder to attack one of your own. Plus it's not like it's everywhere every time you turn on the TV so if you tried it and didn't like it unless you watch Cartoon a lot then you don't hear much about it outside of somewhere like this.

Could also be a factor that people can see Animated as an alternative instead this is all we are going to get. If you didn't like the movie look or the movie character then for a while you just sort of S.O.L. because movie related things were all you were going to find on the shelves. Animated toys on the other hand hit when we've got word on the upcoming Universe/Classics toys and the filming of the second movie which means more movie related toys in the works. Well okay and I guess some Classics fans may have blamed the movie for the death of Classics leaving some bad feelings there as well.

13. Kimmer

Kimmer Well-Known Member

it's actualy pretty simple. animated,although it's own entity,has many g1 homages and even has pieces from the original storyline in tact. not only that but the way they just slip them in is also very cool and clever. also some of the designs may be funky but some are also very recognizable such as prime,megs,magnus,and the dinobots.

then we have the movie. pretty much all of the original story was trashed,the bots are ******ed looking trash heaps,worst writing ever,horrible acting,etc,etc,etc. imo we get so much anger from the movie because so many of us waited years for the live action version and what we got was so NOT what we wanted and it was just sickening. not only was it not in the same ballpark but it wasn't in the same universe(no pun intended). plus it was just flat out corny and ridiculous. it was almost insultingly bad. also it doesn't help any that the dick director has this "i can change anything i want just because i can attitude".

14. CryoPrime

CryoPrime Cody A.

Why do people want to argue over all this garbage, we're all here for one reason. We're TF fans at heart and that's all that matters.

15. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Welcome to the internet DUDE! :thumb 

16. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Both.

Put G1 in here that's the toughest question of all time..enough to overload my circutry.

17. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    To me, Animated>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Movie

18. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This will end badly...
    My two cents:
    TFA was made by fans for fans and to bring in a new generation.

The movie was made by hollywood people to build a franchise.

Both I feel were equally talented but made for two TOTALLY differernt markets with different goals in mind. Both used what was needed from the source material to accomplish their goals. Both were very succesfull at what they did.

I think the difference is that some fans have been dreaming of the live action movie for 20 years. As such alot of emotion/expectations comes along with that. TFA was just the next cartoon after 3 subpar series, I dont think expectations weren't that high and fans were just blown away by it's quality

19. Velcrohead

Velcrohead Banned

Um, yeah, this thread was started to cause a fight, I don't care what the OP says. Just the very wording of the question was meant to raise a ruckus.

Quite frankly, I've seen some rather vitriolic arguments over Animated, too, bub.

In any case, I happen to love both, as both are doing worlds of good for our fandom right now. That being said, Animated seems to be a show that only appeals to or affects a niche of even our own ardent fans. Personally, I feel silly as an adult (not in the target audience) to argue about any show that's on the Cartoon Network. That's why I don't really go into the Animated section, plus the fact that I don't watch the cartoons as aired (thank you, TiVo) and thus I keep from getting any major spoilers.

As for the movie, I think that draws in a much broader audience. To be honest, ALL of us are going to see the TF movies. I don't care how much you hated the first one, you know as well as I do that even the most vocal haters on this board will have their ass in a seat on opening day. That's not quite the same with Animated, since many of us either watch it later and catch up or just don't watch it at all. And the movie is a much more radical change (at least visually) so there are naturally people who don't care for the direction in which it goes.

I used to be a strident geewunner, and I didn't care for anything but that particular canon, but I did myself the favor of actually forcing myself to watch every other series (including the Japanese ones--I had a night job where I had nothing to do but watch a portable DVD player all night at the time.) So I have found something to appreciate about every single universe of Transformers that have come along, from TV to comics to movies. Will I let that stop me from getting into a robust discussion? Hell no :) 

20. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    I like them both each for the reasons that make them so different.