Tf Animated toys

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by Alpha Prime, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Alpha Prime

Alpha Prime Ten Years Strong

anyone have a clue how these are going to work? We knew the movie toys were going to be hard to perfect and Hasbro did a great job making them look close, but do you think they can pull off the new animated ones? And we going to see transforming toys again before the next movie?

questions, comments....answers

2. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Action Master style is my guess. Otherwise, there is no way they will look accurate.

3. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I expect the toys will transform, and am guessing they will either be A/E/C/Classics aesthetic or some hybrid of that with GI Joe Sigma 6 aesthetic.

I believe it was stated at a Hasbro panel in past that the one mandate for any given piece of Transformers mainline merchandise is that it must somehow transform.

4. angeltread

angeltread TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    well, i'm glad somebody started a toy related thread. hopefully, we can keep this toys and toys only.

first, i wasn't aware that the transformers franchise now revolved around the cartoon and not the toys. don't the toy designers dictate to the animators how the characters should look because of how the toys are already designed? the animation style itself wouldn't really matter.

therefore, i would think it would be rather difficult to tell what the toys would be like exactly; but why in the world would they be worse than what we've had in recent non-movie lines such as cybertron and classics? my guess is we can expect more of that.

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    We've only seen Optimus, and for all we know, that was just a dramatic/dynamic shot. I think the toys will be pretty accurate.

6. Magelite

Magelite I make stupid look good

The cartoon is a stylized representation of the toys, not the other way round.

7. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Actually, we now seen all the Autobots. And I'm sorry, but I don't see how any of these designs could actually be made to Transform. They most certainly can't transform into the vehicle modes shown in a real, 3D world.

Honestly, I don't think the toys are going to look so much like the show. Yes, they'll be recognizable as the same basic idea/design, but I really would bet that the show is going to be SEVERELY stylized as far as it's representations of the toys. Severely.

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Yeah, when I posted that, I had no knowledge of the god-awful image posted in the news section.

9. Alpha Prime

agreed.

10. Vangelus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Really, it's not striking me as any different than most of G1, Japanese late 80's G1, BW2, BW Neo, or Armada (at times) in terms of the animation models taking severe liberties over trying to convey perfect representations of the toys. Or the vice-versa example of many of the movie toys altering the movie model to accomodate toyhood.

Ratchet and Bulkhead's transformations are also pretty clear to me even through the stylization (front of the vehicle = torso, other parts flip out around it). I'm quite sure the toys will be doable, especially given what we've seen possible engineering-wise for the movie line.

11. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    I would imagine that the toys will work just as they have in Beast Wars (season I), Beast Machines, and the original cartoon, by vaguely mirroring the cartoon counterparts and providing a close approximation of the two (or more) character modes without having a slavish devotion to 100% accurate and toylike animation of the A/E/C series'.

12. Taker

Taker Chilean TF Fan

Well, looking at the new picture of the Autobots, their respective vehicle modes are really cool, even a little realistic. My guess: those vehicle modes will be presented in the toyline, and the robot modes will be more realistic and less cartoonish, OR they will look something like Armada Host Shot, with a nice car mode but a Playskool looking robot.

13. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I dig the vehicle modes. As for bot modes, eh..I like Bumblebee..that has to be worth something.

Anyways, as I said in the past..I COULD see the toyline working, and now that we have a look at alt modes..I think it could be interesting.

14. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    There's two ways the toys can suffer. It's either/or.

A) The vehicle modes will suffer, but the 'bot modes will look semi-accurate, or B) The 'bot modes will suffer and the vehicles will be more accurate.

Even though I detest the designs, I'd have to say the former is better.

15. Vangelus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Amusing thing about the Autobot roster shot:

They're -embracing- the fact that a TF motorcycle is likely as large as an ambulance. :lol 

16. Alpha Prime

well, i know that they could look like the ole g1 toys, but with the perfection kids are getting from the movie toys, hasbro might be in a bit of trouble. i mean look, the toys have become simply amazing compaired to what? 4 years ago with armada's (mainly) non-poseable toys , like megatron, hotshot, prime (super mode the most), scavenger, etc. Kids are going to want a badass robot that shoots other badass robots after this movie. look at spiderman, kids eat the movie toys.. But they wont lay a finger on the titaniums, b/c they have no poseability(and they cost more). look at the jaks specific pokemon toys, they're everywhere because they're big plastic poke'blocks. they don't move.

It's like ford next year, instead of selling the '09 mustang, they bring back the model t as their sports car.

17. Alpha Prime

Vangelus, you know hasbro dosen't believe in a unified sacle for toys. EX: voyager movie starcream(need i say more)

Or the show for that matter. ex: starscream...in every season...ever

robot car vs robot air plane....they wouldn't be the same size. the plane has to be a considerable bit taller.

18. angeltread

angeltread TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    yes, thank you. and put much more succinctly than i did.

like we're saying, they're already designed... we just haven't seen any yet. but anyway, if history is any indication, the majority of transformers (toys) are designed around the alt mode (thankfully). they do, sometimes, get designed around the bot mode... cyb metroplex and menasor. 2 good examples of why designing around the bot mode tends to result in crappy transformers despite the decent looking bot modes.

19. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

Folks:

No way will the whole line be Actionmasters, IMHO. This movie line has just reinforced the trend that the toys come first. The goal seems to be a good toy with two good modes and show accuracy, in that order...and when accuracy gets in the way of the other things, the designers let it go. I call that a good thing.

My guess is that these toys will be much like the FAB's or Classics Bee, or Cybertron Quickmix -- robot and vehicle modes that are somewhat 'cute' but not without realism. If, however, they do decide to go the Penny Racers chibi route, that's nothing we haven't seen before; the Minibots were like that, and kept most of those proportions on the show, and in the comics.

I'm not worried at all. I think that first movie Starscream sketch blew out all the worry-circuits, and as it turned out the movie toys weren't so bad after all.

20. Vangelus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I meant the show model. :D  Usually motorbikes aren't drawn to be quite as clearly enormous, as I recall.

Wasn't meant to be a pro or con, just something chuckleworthy.