TF: Animated toys remind me of Adventures of Spawn figures

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by Pikatron, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Pikatron

Pikatron Well-Known Member

I was browsing through the prototype TF: Animated figures and their exaggerrated cartoon/comic look remind me a lot of the Adventure of Spawn (series 1, series 2) figures. Anyone else feel the same way? I haven't paid attention much to other toy lines so I'm not sure how often toy-makers decide to go for this sort of look.

2. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

That seems about right, they both have cartoonish proportions

3. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    It reminds me of KidRobot.

4. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    The thing is, TF Animated are going to have articulation, which is more than I can say about those Spawn "figures"

5. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The tf animated figures will "do stuff". You can pose them, transform them. My roommate has craptons of spawn figures, and I just don't get it. They're always just standing, or hunched over. You can't pose them at all(well, on some you can swing the arms up or down).

To each his own I guess.

6. thoughtcrime

thoughtcrime Well-Known Member

I see the similarity in aesthetic. The Animated figures remind me of Armada toys with articulation.

7. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

Everything looks like that these days. The Batman Animated Series style has been used to death. Batman, Justice League, Teen Titans, Fantastic 4, Iron Man, Avengers, Clone Wars, Jay & Silent Bob, Spawn animated, the list goes on & on. The one style I prayed they would NEVER use on Transformers just had to be used! I wanted the TMNT style but they just had to go with friggin Cartoon Network.:mad 

8. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

The Spawn statues, and I refuse to call them figures because McFarlane doesn't make 'figures' anymore, are based on a comic done in an 'animated' style. It's basically re-creating the DCAU/Marvel Animated stuff for Spawn characters. As such the asthetic will look the same as the Transformers: Animated stuff because that's loosely based on the same concepts.

But again, McFarlane doesn't make 'figures', he makes mini-statues. Just like those guys who make mini-statues of the modern MotU characters that match in size and asthetic to the canceled(pre-maturely imo) MotU toyline.

To be fair, all the DC:TAS stuff(JLU, Bats/Supes) and the Clone Wars were all done by the same people, as such it looks the same. The Teen Titans, and by relation the new TF show, use a modified more 'anime' and kid friendly version of the DCAU asthetic. Similarly all the Marvel Animated stuff is using the same asthetic to attempt to re-create the popularity of the DCAU franchise. My guess is McFarlane tried to do the same thing with Spawn, but only went half way by making it a comic book based on a non-existent cartoon asthetic.

But as much as I love the DCAU stuff, and to an extent the Teen Titans(though it apparently doesn't age well) I will agree those styles do not, nor have they ever, work well with robots. Never have I been impressed by a robot on either show because they've never looked robotic, as such I agree that those styles do not work with Transformers.

9. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    Whoa!! Thank you for correcting his generalization, but Clone Wars was not done by Bruce Timm & Co.

Star Wars:Clone Wars was done by Genndy Tartakovsky, who did Dexter's Labratory & Samurai Jack.

10. dlatkow

dlatkow Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Lol, that is exactly what I thought. I happen to be a big fan of the Dunnys and think these will look really cool in my showcase of Vinyl toys.

11. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Aesthetic yes, because they are both based on animated versions, however the toys are completely different, hasbro is putting a ton of articulation into their new figures while retaining the cartoon aesthetic, something a lot of fans wanted Mcfarlane to do, but he still hasn't. The only fully articulated figures he has coming out anytime soon are his halo 3 figures.

12. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Gah, right sorry >.<

Don't know how I screwed that one up. Clone Wars had a similar asthetic to Samurai Jack, which was what I was overlooking. I know the Clone Wars cartoon was done by people who worked on other CN cartoons and for some reason the JLU stuff popped into my head. Totally forgot about ol' Jack, as it's been far too long since I seen either.

Shame CN canceled both Jack and JLU, both shows were great and a lot better then a lot of stuff out today. CN has a bad habit of canceling great shows for no good reason...

13. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    No harm, no foul. :wink: 

CN is starting to sound like Fox...

14. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    I would kill for a Super Poseable Spawn figure. Too bad he'll never see the light of day. The closing thing we'll get is this...http://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_061807a.htm even then he lacks some body detail. Maybe we'll get a Spawn figure in the LCH line? Anyway back on topic, yes they do.

15. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    They made this figure:
    http://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_020503.htm

I own it and I must say, it the the best damn McFarlane figure of Spawn that I own.

The joints move perfectly, with just the right tightness on them to hold poses.
    He has long metal chains that he can hold and a HUGE stone crucifix base that he can stand on, even in a crouched position! The cape does not get in the way much because it is assembled from 12 individual parts with some parts intended to move.
    It is not very heavy, it moves to make room for poses, and it serves as a third leg to help him stand up if you don't place him on his base.

The first thing to remember is:

Just be careful of those little 2 skulls that are attached to those 2 red "tassels" near the upper part of his cape. Each skull is attached to a tassel that does move (to help with the purpose of not getting in the way of the figure's pose), but they can break off if not taken care of carefully. They are fragile, (but not fragile enough that if you brushed up against them they would fall off). I for one, just don't move them at all since the 2 on my figure are evenly and straightly positioned on the cape.

The second thing to look out for is:

Seeing IF your figure's cape is removable. ^Michael Crawford's figure DOES have a removable cape, mine does not.
    >Quoting this review: http://www.oafe.net/yo/i10s.php

"If you choose to take Spawn's cape off (it's glued in place by a large square block in his back), you'll really be able to appreciate the figure beneath."

You see, THIS particular Image 10th figure sold like Hot Cakes, so they had to make more to meet demand. This took a while and with it came a running change...The first figures made had a removable cape. However, the cape was a hassle to remove and to put back into the figure. So when collectors got their hands on the second batch of figures (these are the figures made to meet demand), they noticed that their capes were glued in! It is still possible to remove the cape and place it back in, but the capes were intentionally glued in by McFarlane toys to make sure they stayed in/on better. I actually like the figure this way since I don't have to worry about his cape possibly falling off (though I've never heard of this happening) if I perch him up on top of his giant stone crucifix.

So there you have it! The best damn poseable Spawn figure made so far by McFarlane Toys. I highly recommend it!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >>>>>And here are 2 more!

i.88 (Halloween Spawn)-Spawn series 24: Classic Comic Covers: http://www.oafe.net/yo/mcs24i88.php

This figure is basically a rehash of the Image 10th Spawn but with new parts, a hamburger head, and a Halloween themed base!

The figure's poseability: http://www.oafe.net/yo/art/mcs24i885.jpg

This third figure you can BUY NOW! It is a clear green McFarlane Exclusive - "Necroplasm Spawn 2"
    It's basically the Image 10th Spawn but molded in clear green plastic. And it's only $10.00!

http://store.spawn.com/detail.aspx?ID=926

ENJOY!

16. LadyStarscream

LadyStarscream Queen of Cybertron

Since we are complaining about Spawn figures, I wish he would bring Angela back or atleast do more classic type Angel figures. I miss those.

17. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    By the way, how are the Animated styled figures? Do they have stuck joints that need to be freed carefully?

I stopped buying McFarlane toys for good after my AVP Celtic Predator's joints were all stuck and I could not free any of them. AT ALL.

On the bright side, The quality and durability of their figures seemed to be great during the Clamshell days up right before the AVP line. Almost all my Spawn toys from times before clamshells have broken :( . It took a while for them to get it right, a blend of high-quality, durable figures and excellent paint details. The most common breakage for my old Spawn figures were the plastic parts that held their joints together breaking (and I was always careful). Their Spawn Movie toys on the other hand, never broke on me. Those were and still are good figures. I love my masked Basic Movie Spawn with his 2 ammo belts, pistol, and big gun that has a rolling ammo barrel & my Deluxe Movie Violator with his extending jaw, lunging head-spike, and his glowing red eyes. I wish I bought more Movie Spawn figures.