TF animated Ebay theory

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by ANDROID PRIME, Feb 1, 2008.

1. ANDROID PRIME

ANDROID PRIME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ok Im an economic/businiess student. I've always thought that its to bad for hasbro (business wise) that they cant charge collectors who have such a higher demand more money for transformers than they do kids and parents who wouldn't spend over the retail price for a toy. My idea for hasbro was to sell toys online early for a higher price than retail. This would maximize profits for hasbro in two ways. take advantage of demand for toys and when the toys eventually do hit shelves it gives more kids and parents chances to find them becasue they aren't snatched up by collectors.

Now with all the transformers animated toys on ebay for only 10$ higher than their retail price. collectors are happy becasue they get their toys months in advance and kids will be happy when they can actually find the toys they want (unlike the movie line). this seems a little to convienient in my opinion.

my theory is that the reason there are so many animated toys on ebay was intentionaly planned by hasbro to maximize profits by exploiting demand.(witch isn't illegal)

one theory that might explain the fact that hasbro is doing this through ebay instead of their online store is that if they showed the price for their new line of toys as 10-20$ higher than normal it might scare away parents and kids who frequent their site. they know that collectors frequent ebay and that it would be the best place to try this out.

Its just an idea, Any thoughts?

2. Archatron

Archatron Banned

Ebay:
    totally plausible, from someone who bought one. lol Namely me.

3. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    Making $5000 on ebay would be a drop in the hat with retail sales of animated. Would be a waste of time for Hasbro.

4. Backpack

Backpack Scattershot who?

I've been thinking this for a long time now. Except not ebay, but more the online retailers such as BBTS. Though I wasn't working in the price hike idea, but more of a means to cut down on collectors and scalpers getting the toys instead of kids. If hardcore collectors get their TFs 6 months early, the scalpers will leave the general release alone because fan base already has everything they want.

There is a problem with this line of thinking though. If traffic dies down in the retail chains, it's likely that stores will cut way back or stop carrying the product because it no longer appears all that popular.

I do still think there is model in there that Hasbro should consider. With the ever shrinking amount of shelf space at stores and the ever increasing product they want to put out, online seems like a great place to get more stuff out there at one time. Like say with animated. Hasbro puts it on hold so they can sell more movie toys, which leaves no room for animated. Well sell animated through online sources and keep the buzz train moving. Or better yet, sell the Movie toys online and get the animated line to the stores.

5. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    The quantities of Animated toys that have been sold to date on eBay are less than what would be sold in one day in the toy stores. Hasbro wouldn't gain anything by delaying mass sales to sell individual items one at a time.

6. ANDROID PRIME

ANDROID PRIME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yeah I know hasbro isn't really doing this, but from an economic standpoint it would make a lot of sense if they did something similar.

7. knook

knook Let the Virus Consume You

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was thinking about this, obviously not in that much detail but I think you're right

8. Primus

News Credits:
    I was thinking this said more about the economy in China then it did about Hasbro...

9. microclone

microclone Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    im not sure its anything of the kind, its more likely a far simpler scenario.

factory workers have been told they can sneak this stuff out for x amount of money, selling it to the ebay sellers (the ebay seelers could be the factory staff). we are talking a few dozen figures or maybe a few hundred at most over a few months, to hasbro thats an insignificant amount of extra revenue and very unlikey to be any part of their plan to make money. Anybody who works in a factory of any kind knows full well that workers are always carrying stuff out, it could be car parts or bread, dont matter, its happens in every factory pretty much.

10. King of kings

King of kings Well-Known Member

I gotta agree with Microclone on this one.

11. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

Ehh.. Not sure where your finding the 10 bucks more on Ebay.. Most of the ones I spot are expensive. x.x;

12. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

eBay is being used as a viral marketing tool to spread word of mouth on awesomeness of figures.

Isn't it obvious?!

13. King of kings

King of kings Well-Known Member

They are, I bought three of them and they cost me a small fortune to get them MISB.

14. microclone

microclone Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    highly unlikely, why would hasbro do this with animated figures, you are giving the property way to much importance, you think hasbro would deliberately have a few guys in china selling a few toys on ebay to show the world how great the toys are?? how many kids are going to see these?? pretty much zero. Now if movie toys boxes were being opened and rogue animated pieces were being found as teasers then id agree hasbro would be behind that.

as i said before, this is most likely factory staff making a quick $ or two, think of the wages of those guys/girls and consider what $100 for a freakin toy means to them.

this type of thig could have happened with any TF line but for some reason (nice toys maybe??) theanimated line has alot of fans already, can you imagine upcoming cybertron toys having had the same impact?? did this happen with the movie toys????

15. puppylove

puppylove mini ops caretaker

News Credits:
    i would love to know that too? did this happen with any other line of toys?

also, the prices on ebay are ridiculous! i would rather buy them all at the stores when they come out for the price of what just one seems to be going for on ebay, and that doesn't include the price gouging shipping the sellers are also asking for.

i also saw someplace online (can't remember where!) that someone theorized the late release of the toys is to maximize profits for the holiday season. if the toys come out in april/may then by the time holiday season starts they will seem old. so by delaying it to mid-summer the toys will still be fresh in the minds of parents buying for their kids. i don't know if that is true, but it seems plausible.

16. McBradders

It was a joke.

17. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    Twist, what have we told you about joking on the internet?

18. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    This is the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. Listen to this man, he is wise...

19. McBradders

:( 

Eat more beans?

20. Primus

News Credits:
    And handsome!