TF ANIMATED ANTHOLOGY in JAPAN

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Masabon, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    The decapitated head (Headmaster?) certainly reminds me of Gurren Lagaan too.

You had the chance to meet him in person? That's cool! Did you get his autograph?

I wouldn't be sorry; seems like an honest mistake. Some people just don't know how to correct others without also coming off as sounding pretentious (and rude) themselves.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Spontificus

Spontificus Well-Known Member

I think that is supposed to be SG Ultra Magnus.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    Cool. It's a little hard to tell from his signature frenetic art style but it does look similar to SG UM now that you mention it.

4. prfctcellrulz

prfctcellrulz Pokémon Trainer/WWE Champion

News Credits:
    This SG Magnus had it FAR worse than than G1 SG Magnus.

5. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Sensei is used for professional comic book artists, PERIOD. I don't care who you checked with. What's most likely is that you did not convey the issue accurately to your colleague. And we're not talking about anime at all, by the way. We're talking about a comic book artist. Completely different.

For example, if they talk with Oda Eiichiro, creator of One Piece, for an interview, they call him Oda sensei, or just plain sensei. Not Oda san. Same with any working comic artist. I've seen it a billion times on the news, in print interviews, in every single volume of the Shonen Jump Ryuu dvds which interview the cartoonists working for various Shueisha magazines (now up to volume 25). How you've managed to avoid ever hearing this while living in a country filled with comics and comics talk is baffling to me, but you are completely off base here. It's the same as for a novelist, or the author of any book. Sensei. Even the editor that an artist is working for calls that artist "sensei".

No, the artist's assistants are not called "sensei". Because they're assistants. That's not what we're talking about. Sakamoto is no longer an assistant. He IS the main artist on what he works on now. And we're not talking about anime. People working in an animation studio would not be called sensei because other than a director or screenwriter, they are basically ALL assistants in that case.

6. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy Banned

News Credits:
    I'm not of base. The person i asked is married to an artist at a Japanese videogame company and is a complete anime/manga otaku. Sakamoto would be sensei if he was the main artist for any given work, such as a comic, anime, videogame, etc. However, it's about context. If he's one of many in-house artists at Takara, there may be times he's referred to as "San".

Also, there are times, she has assured me, that even if he was the main artist, he might be referred to as 'san".

I think I'll go with the Japanese person here on this one.

7. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Well, that's the point. He IS the main artist of a given work. Several.

And I'll go with the Japanese person, too. My wife. Who has been living in Japan and reading manga since birth.

8. TM2 Dinobot

TM2 Dinobot closet otaku

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    <.<

*sidesteps inadvertent conversation*

Yes, I did. He was super, super nice. One of the nicest artists I've ever met. I butchered like 8 words of Japanese before the translator whom we both knew showed up. He even did a commission of Legends TAI for me. My only regret is that it wasn't slutty enough, but he already had several people fuss at him that weekend. Super cool guy. Very nice. I really can't overstate that.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Hydra Custom

Hydra Custom Tokyo Bancho

News Credits:
    I don't understand who you're disagreeing with? He is the main artist. He's been the Japanese artist most consistently involved with TF's for a couple years now...

• Like Like x 2
  10. RobotKnight95

RobotKnight95 Unamused and Insane

News Credits:
    That primal actually looks pretty good. I may not be a big Animated fan (cartoon-wise) but damn those are some good toys. BW Megatron looks off. I can't put my finger on it but I dont think it works that well. Then again this custom looks fantastic so maybe it's just a stock photography thing.
    [​IMG]

Anyone got pics of the Prime Wreck Gar figure? I wanna see that :3

• Like Like x 3
  11. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy Banned

News Credits:
    Is that so? So he does ALL or most of the illustrations for Takara Tomy's Transformers? Also, does "packaging illustrator" adhere to the same principals as comic, animation naming?

Like I said, even when I mentioned this to my colleague, she stated that it could be "Sensei" OR "San" for naming, even for packaging artists.

12. TM2 Dinobot

TM2 Dinobot closet otaku

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    AFAIK, yes. He has been their head artist for several years now. He has massive influence on story elements. And that's a good thing, cause the guy is a super nerd. Seriously, he's like a walking TFWiki. He's pulled characters out that I never even heard of.

• Like Like x 1
  13. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy Banned

News Credits:
    Indeed. If only he would cease with the sukebe stuff commercially.

14. soybean56

soybean56 Well-Known Member

I need that Sentinel Prime repainted in BW Optimus Primal yesterday! That works so, so well :) 

15. axl6533

axl6533 metal forever

News Credits:
    Love this art of sari like to see full body shot wish we had season 4

16. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    "Slutty enough"... You're sounding exactly like the type of bottom feeder I imagine some of his artwork would appeal to. Living the stereotype there!

As for he book itself, I absolutely love it. 90% of the artwork is fantastic and I love what it represents; a celebration of the best Transformers series alongside Beast Wars in my eyes. If I had any complaints it would be that some of the artwork doesn't massively match Animated's usual style. I love Alex Milne's artwork usually, but if Animated Grandus wasn't already there and I didn't know what it was based on, it wouldn't have struck me as particularly Animated, for example.

Its a terrible shame that the BW Animated figures never saw the light... An absolute match made in heaven; I'd especially have loved that BW/Animated Megatron! Looks so awesome!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  17. TM2 Dinobot

TM2 Dinobot closet otaku

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]

Stereotypes are not without their basis in reality. Funnily enough, there's a possibility I have more college than you do. So, don't just a book by its cover, I suppose.

Now, if I could just shake the stereotype of being an unemployed post grad, that'd be great. Hahahahahah*weeps internally*ahahaha

Edit: I feel obliged to point out that it is sometimes difficult to tell when I am playing devil's advocate, when I am being more of a troll than I should be, or when I am just being my argumentative, pervy self. Occasionally it's difficult for even I to tell. Sorry. :/ But there is an ignore option available, and I feel we have dallied long enough on this particular point. Let us move on, shall we?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  18. MrAllenBenjamin

MrAllenBenjamin Active Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  19. Type-R

Type-R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  20. st.ranger

st.ranger Emperor of Destruction

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    When this become available? Is there any chance TT will release something new for Animated? I would like to see Shattered Glass.