Customs: Testors vs Krylon?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Wreckgar, Jul 21, 2007.

1. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

WHich is better. I've gotten back the kitbashing bug and wanted to do some repaints. I have used Testors before but have a few cans of Krylon Fusion. So what is better to use? Does Krylon really have a better coating or is cleaner?

Anything from advice to comparison pics would be appreciated.

2. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I have some old Testors I'm using to get rid of it... I'm not really fond of it at all for Transformers, but I think it would do OK with model cars and stuff that doesnt have so many parts rubbing together.

3. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I have some old Testors I'm using to get rid of it... I'm not really fond of it at all for Transformers, but I think it would do OK with model cars and stuff that doesnt have so many parts rubbing together.

4. anemis

anemis Well-Known Member

tamiya

5. anemis

anemis Well-Known Member

tamiya

6. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

^^ what he said. I use tamiya acrylics for all of my hand-painting stuff, and I just got some of their polycarbonate spray for doing an entire vehicle recolor (towline into ironhide) and must say that it seems to be better than krylon. I had been a die-hard testors model master user, until I tried tamiya on a whim. tamiya is better because it glides on super smooth, and has a hint of acetone (you'll notice the smell the second you open a jar) which makes it bond with the plastic really well.

krylon is weird stuff. I've used it with much success on two alt repaints, but you've got to be careful about how long you wait in between coats. if you wait too long, the paint will do this weird spider-webby thing and look horrible the second you apply it. but as long as you get it right, it's hard as a rock.

if you're looking for tamiya paints, I would recommend tower hobbies as a great online store to order from.

7. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

^^ what he said. I use tamiya acrylics for all of my hand-painting stuff, and I just got some of their polycarbonate spray for doing an entire vehicle recolor (towline into ironhide) and must say that it seems to be better than krylon. I had been a die-hard testors model master user, until I tried tamiya on a whim. tamiya is better because it glides on super smooth, and has a hint of acetone (you'll notice the smell the second you open a jar) which makes it bond with the plastic really well.

krylon is weird stuff. I've used it with much success on two alt repaints, but you've got to be careful about how long you wait in between coats. if you wait too long, the paint will do this weird spider-webby thing and look horrible the second you apply it. but as long as you get it right, it's hard as a rock.

if you're looking for tamiya paints, I would recommend tower hobbies as a great online store to order from.

8. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I used Tamiya spray for a Thundercracker repaint and I wasn't all that impressed when it came to areas that rubbed. Definitely a nice finish, though.

Krylon is good stuff, but you have to get the hang of using it. Even light coats are too much, you have to just mist it from about a foot away and do ONE pass, wait 5 minutes and repeat. Someone once described the process as "letting the color build", and I'd say that nails the idea. It definitely takes patience, and even then the finish isn't glass smooth, but it's not bad. However, the stuff is tough as hell once you give it a week to fully bond.

I use the cheap Walmart Testors bottle paints for small details and it seems fine, though some colors are better than others.

9. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I used Tamiya spray for a Thundercracker repaint and I wasn't all that impressed when it came to areas that rubbed. Definitely a nice finish, though.

Krylon is good stuff, but you have to get the hang of using it. Even light coats are too much, you have to just mist it from about a foot away and do ONE pass, wait 5 minutes and repeat. Someone once described the process as "letting the color build", and I'd say that nails the idea. It definitely takes patience, and even then the finish isn't glass smooth, but it's not bad. However, the stuff is tough as hell once you give it a week to fully bond.

I use the cheap Walmart Testors bottle paints for small details and it seems fine, though some colors are better than others.

10. agesthreeandup

agesthreeandup Energon Supplier

News Credits:
    I use Tamiya for everything. You can always coat it with Future for a good solid finish after as well.

Spencer.

11. agesthreeandup

agesthreeandup Energon Supplier

News Credits:
    I use Tamiya for everything. You can always coat it with Future for a good solid finish after as well.

Spencer.

12. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

What kind of Testors? If you're looking at the enamels or spray paints, go with Krylon.

Personally, I paint all of mine with Testors acrylics. I use both the standard Testors and the Model Master line. I've tried Tamiya, and wasn't impressed. It doesn't airbrush as well as the Testors lines.

13. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

What kind of Testors? If you're looking at the enamels or spray paints, go with Krylon.

Personally, I paint all of mine with Testors acrylics. I use both the standard Testors and the Model Master line. I've tried Tamiya, and wasn't impressed. It doesn't airbrush as well as the Testors lines.

14. Wreckgar

What about dye? In particular, how does the navy go on yellow? Does it actually turn blue or go green?

15. Wreckgar

What about dye? In particular, how does the navy go on yellow? Does it actually turn blue or go green?

16. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Robot art guy

News Credits:
    So anyone know what kind of magic paint Hasbro uses? I mean, yeah theres some paint (like the stripes on 77 camaro bee) that flakes off all of a sudden, but then Hasbro often uses paints that dont dissolve with thinner, and can take a bullet or jackhammer without scratching one bit.

Anyone know what they use? For example, on my 77 Bumblebee, the stripes flaked off so easily everywhere except for the center section and button of the hood. Its INVINCIBLE I couldnt even scratch it.

17. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Robot art guy

News Credits:
    So anyone know what kind of magic paint Hasbro uses? I mean, yeah theres some paint (like the stripes on 77 camaro bee) that flakes off all of a sudden, but then Hasbro often uses paints that dont dissolve with thinner, and can take a bullet or jackhammer without scratching one bit.

Anyone know what they use? For example, on my 77 Bumblebee, the stripes flaked off so easily everywhere except for the center section and button of the hood. Its INVINCIBLE I couldnt even scratch it.

18. K1dnotorious

K1dnotorious Old Skool Like Kup

well, I'm guessing that for the most part they use coloured plastics to save on paint and then just paint the details

19. K1dnotorious

K1dnotorious Old Skool Like Kup

well, I'm guessing that for the most part they use coloured plastics to save on paint and then just paint the details

20. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Robot art guy

News Credits:
    bumping this in case anyone in the industry knows the answer :p