Customs: Testors or Citadel?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by stereotentacles, May 24, 2012.

1. stereotentacles

stereotentacles New Member

Hi, I wanna do a Knock Out repaint (after some practice, of course) and I'm wondering which one of these brands I should use.
    After excessive googling, I finally found Canadian websites to buy both Testors and Citadel, but I have no idea which I should spring for. Most resources I've seen have recommended Testors so I'm a bit biased there.

Another question if I do go for Testors: should I buy a set (looking at this one: PAINT FINISHING KIT ACRYLIC - PM Hobbycraft) or should I buy some 1/2 oz. pots of Model Master individually?

Sorry about the rambling, haha. ;; Any tips for either brand is appreciated!

2. NEST SOLDIER

NEST SOLDIER IRONHIDE'S DRIVER

I've used Testors products, and they're a reputable brand. I would, however, recommend that you buy Model Masters, which is a higher end line from Testors, with some really cool color choices, including a metalizer series with some nice metallic colors.

3. stereotentacles

stereotentacles New Member

Thanks! I had a feeling that selling them individually was a sign of a higher end product, haha.
    Now if only they didn't cost so much.

4. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I use Citadels, mostly because they're easier to find in individual colors. All the Testors I can find are enamel, which I don't like using, and the acrylics are only in bundles.

5. aledromo

aledromo Decepticon at the Gate

Testors' website has a great selection of Model Masters stuff, and not too pricey if you make a list in advance (shipping's the killer, so try to get it all out of the way at once). Easy to work with, great finish. I've never used Citadels, but probably won't ever because of how happy I am with Testors.

6. SG hailstorm

SG hailstorm JaAm aficionado

News Credits:
    Model masters or citadel, testors depending on what type of plastic takes really long to dry and runs the risk of smudging overtime IME, but ultimately its yer choice

7. Dr. Grimlockisking

Dr. Grimlockisking Twitter @GrimlockIsKing

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  8. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Toy Designer

I use Citadel's paints, mainly because they are easy to paint with and they coat very well. I've touched Model Master, but i don't feel the need to explore it since i have Citadel paints which i'm happy with.

9. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i use both, each have their strengths and weaknesses, i prefer citadel, probably just because i've used them more, but some other brands are sneaking in

10. ironjazz

ironjazz Tie Fighter pilot

News Credits:
    Citadel.

11. phoenixliger

phoenixliger Ogre

I use both citadel and model masters plus tamiya paints the citadel tend to be a bit thicker whitch i use for lighter colors and detailing modelmasters are a bit more lose and tend to require a few more coats but as already been said are great for metals plus i prefer using them when dry brushing. for large areas i use my tamiya paints they coat well and the glosses shine nicely

12. MPrime10

MPrime10 Boomsticks.

Testors has a great look. The only probablem I've ever had is trying to clean the brush afterwards.

13. NEST SOLDIER

NEST SOLDIER IRONHIDE'S DRIVER

Scale Hobbyist has Testors, Model Masters, and Tamiya paints at reasonable prices. I order all my MM stuff from them, simply because it's cheaper. His spray cans are about two dollars less than retail cost at Hobby Lobby or direct cost from Testors.

14. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

Start out with citadel because it is cake to apply and it is water based. Try all hobby paint and try to learn as many as possiable. This expands your color and texture selection. Each brand has its pros and cons. At some point it becomes a prefrence. I use all brands mentioned plus others like floquil. But citadel is a fantastic beginer paint In my opinion.

15. Billzilla

Billzilla Skepticon

News Credits:
    WOW! Thanks for the tip! This website has damn near everything!

On topic: I've used both pretty much interchangeably. It's mostly about what colors I need and if I want to order it or go out and get it right away (I have a GamesWorkshop pretty near me that sells Citadel, but I have to get Testors online).. either one, it really doesn't matter much. I guess Citadel edges Testors out for me just because I can go see the colors in person, but that's not really the paint's fault.

16. Plainsjumper

Plainsjumper Well-Known Member

I use Model Masters Acrylic. Acrylics were more forgiving for me... chose a wrong color for my second ever repaint & so just tossed it into a plastic container with Oxyclean and took the paint off and tried again. :D 

17. Fartini

Fartini Banned

Same here. I tend to use the Citadel metallics though for metallic parts since they seem better to me.

I used both MM and Citadel on my Knockout, OP. MM: Clear Red, Chrome Yellow, Semi-Gloss Black, Flat Black, and Primer in place of white since I could find none. Citadel: Scab Red, Codex Grey, Chainmail, Boltgun Metal, and Ice Blue for the "energy blast" on the staff. It turned out decent enough for me and I'm still working at detailing small bits.

[​IMG]