Customs: Testors Decal maker kit ?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by PrimulArchangel, Sep 3, 2007.

1. PrimulArchangel

PrimulArchangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Has anyone ever used the Testors Decal maker kit ?

I seen it in walmart , it says you can design and print your own decals on your printer.. I was just wondering how good it is because i was thinking about trying it out on my Custom Red Alert im making and i wanted to print out all the Japanese lettering that goes on the tail fin and such.

Is it worth it or is it garbage ?

-Curt

2. Bobby Lemain

Bobby Lemain Cassette Man

I haven't personally used it but it isn't completely garbage... just keep in mind that printers can't print the color white

3. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I just used ordinary label paper... Label paper + Image/text + Printer = Decals
    It did help to get the template on MS Word so everything was on one label.

4. Bobby Lemain

Bobby Lemain Cassette Man

I used to make weird stickers with doublesided-tape, paper, and packaging tape, but I also use CD label stickers with packaging tape so ya...

5. Cody2003

Cody2003 Well-Known Member

I tried it last year while finishing a couple of alts. It doesn't work, well at least it half works, unless you have a laserjet. Inkjet printers need a sealer. They print fine, and look pretty good, but when you try to put them in water to transfer them, the ink washes off. You have to buy a sealer seperately to cure the ink, but I havn't seen it anywhere.....

so save your money. at least until you find the sealer, or someone who has a laserjet printer.

6. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

I've used it. The kit does come with the sealer, which is nothing more than clear coat. You can use any spray clear coat to seal the decals. The software it comes with is useless. It's only a demo version, so you can't import your own graphics, and the ones that are in the software are fairly low resolution.

I'd suggest just getting the packages of decal paper, and a can of Krylon clear coat. You can also pick up 8 1/2" by 11" sheets of decal paper at hobby shops. If you're using a laser jet printer, you can also get decal paper for laser jets, at hobby shops.

Remember decal paper comes in either clear or white, depending on what you're going to need.

7. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    I got it last year for an alt and found it sucks. Thank god it comes with the sealer so it's not a total waste but the decal sheets bits.

8. PrimulArchangel

PrimulArchangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Anyone know of a place i can order the decal sheets online ? i dont have a hobby shop near me so online would be my best choice.. I would think clear would work best for me since im printing out decals that are on the binaltech Red Alert.. Im making a custom version of my own so i want to get the decals that are on the orginal and no better way then to print them myself lol.. If not ill have to hand paint them..
    Thanks in advance guys :) 

-Curt

9. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits: