Customs: Testors Airbrush Mighty Mini Kit question

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by agentgro420, Aug 4, 2007.

1. agentgro420

agentgro420 Le potteux

Ebay:
    after 3 hand painted transformers, i was thinking about using airbrush and i found a Testors Mighty Mini kit at my local Wal-Mart. The question is, is this kit any good? will i buy this and regret it since i'm still a noob with airbrushing? should i buy something else before?something cheaper?(mighty mini are around 60$ CDN and i got 10% off on everything i buy at wal-mart).

2. ShawnL7

ShawnL7 Old School Transfan

I would suggest you get one of those Testors aerosol cans for airbrushing and use that to see if you like airbrushing first. The big thing you'll wanna watch out for is making sure the paint is thin enough to paint with. If it comes out in little globs it's way too thick still. Some paints come already airbrush-ready.
    Watch out for enamels. Dont use 'em! Only go for the Model Masters or Tamiya acrylic paints. And make sure to pick up a big bottle of paint thinner. And from my experience, the Testors brand paint thinner doesnt work for crap. You're better off just getting a big jug and having it around.
    A good rule is to make sure the paint is as thin as milk.

3. ShawnL7

ShawnL7 Old School Transfan

I would suggest you get one of those Testors aerosol cans for airbrushing and use that to see if you like airbrushing first. The big thing you'll wanna watch out for is making sure the paint is thin enough to paint with. If it comes out in little globs it's way too thick still. Some paints come already airbrush-ready.
    Watch out for enamels. Dont use 'em! Only go for the Model Masters or Tamiya acrylic paints. And make sure to pick up a big bottle of paint thinner. And from my experience, the Testors brand paint thinner doesnt work for crap. You're better off just getting a big jug and having it around.
    A good rule is to make sure the paint is as thin as milk.

4. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

I had one of the Testors airbrush kits. The the air valve on the airbrush stopped working right, after a couple of months. I went out and bought an Iwata airbrush, and an air compressor.

Testors acrylic paints are thin enough out of the bottle to airbrush, as is the Model Master acrylic line. Tamiya acrylics are not. Thin your paint in a seperate jar, and never pour your thinned paint back into its original jar. Thinned paint doesn't store well.

5. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

I had one of the Testors airbrush kits. The the air valve on the airbrush stopped working right, after a couple of months. I went out and bought an Iwata airbrush, and an air compressor.

Testors acrylic paints are thin enough out of the bottle to airbrush, as is the Model Master acrylic line. Tamiya acrylics are not. Thin your paint in a seperate jar, and never pour your thinned paint back into its original jar. Thinned paint doesn't store well.

6. agentgro420

agentgro420 Le potteux

Ebay:
    i'm sure i'll love airbrushing since i'll use it ONLY to paint big surfaces, and i'm using acrylic ONLY since it's easy to remove if you do a bad job.

thanks for the tip

***Now looking for a dremel stylus and a place to get styrene***

7. agentgro420

agentgro420 Le potteux

Ebay:
    i'm sure i'll love airbrushing since i'll use it ONLY to paint big surfaces, and i'm using acrylic ONLY since it's easy to remove if you do a bad job.

thanks for the tip

***Now looking for a dremel stylus and a place to get styrene***

8. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I bought the exact one you're talking about a few months ago. It's absolute shit. The little one you hook up to the testors air canisters using a black hose is far superior, and that's not even that great.

If it's just general colors, I'd say stick to the spray cans you can get from testors/krylon, etc. They work much better, and will likely end up costing you less in the long run. I'm not sure that they have them in acrylic, but if not, then I would suggest either getting a good quality airbrush and compressor, or one of the kits that attaches to an air canister.

9. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I bought the exact one you're talking about a few months ago. It's absolute shit. The little one you hook up to the testors air canisters using a black hose is far superior, and that's not even that great.

If it's just general colors, I'd say stick to the spray cans you can get from testors/krylon, etc. They work much better, and will likely end up costing you less in the long run. I'm not sure that they have them in acrylic, but if not, then I would suggest either getting a good quality airbrush and compressor, or one of the kits that attaches to an air canister.