Customs: Testors Acryl vs. Tamiya Acrylics - A discussion

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by simplygriff, May 3, 2010.

1. simplygriff

simplygriff µ - Elitist Dick

News Credits:
    I've been working on my second TF custom. I started using Testors Acryl paints because that was what I could find locally at the ole' Hobby Lobby. When they didn't have a color I needed I tried a hobby shop I'd never been to and found not only a fully stocked selection of Testors Acryl but a full spectrum of Tamiya Acrylic paints too. I picked up a few colors of gloss Tamiya that were out of stock in Testors and this is where I want to start the discussion.

The Tamiya paints don't seem to want to go on smoothly at all. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but they just seem to get sticky very fast in comparison to the Testors. Possibly it's a difference between flat and gloss since most of the Testor's I've used have been flat but even with other gloss acrylic paints from my Gundam modeling days never got "sticky" like this. What I mean is if I go back over something shortly after painting, even if it's just to blend an edge the paint pulls off.

So my personal question is am I doing something wrong? Do I need to thin it out of the bottle? If so, what with? I know I can thin Acryl with water or alcohol.

My overall question is which do you prefer and why? At this point I prefer the Acryl because it's easy to use right out of the bottle, thins easily, goes on smooth and cleans up in a snap. And until I found the Tamiya's it was easily available locally.
    -G

2. SwitchPrime

SwitchPrime Wrecker

Ebay:
    For me the Testors acryl is easier to work with and easier to find

3. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    testors is definitely easier, you should thin the Tamyia's down with some rubbing alcohol. In a new bottle of tamiya's paints I pretty much fill it the rest of the way with 90% alcohol, BUT I think you should probably use more like 75% alcohol instead, because it seems that the paint then dries up in the bottle.

4. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

Tamiya is a pain to brush paint. What I have found that works for me is to dip my brush in alcohol and then dip it into the paint, then brush the paint on. It takes some getting used to, but if you were doing a large area then a separate thinned mix might be better.

They are great for airbrushing though.

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    When any kind of paint is thicker, I'll use Future to thin it out some. Also, I like to keep my brushes wet while I paint. Not soaking wet, but in a cup of water while I paint. When I get ready to work with a color, I get the excess water off of the brush, and go to painting. I hope this help, bud :) 

This doesn't help with My Little Pony Cancer though :( 

6. simplygriff

News Credits:
    haha. They're working on a cure! :lol 

Actually the paint isn't thick at all. It seems kinda runny to me in all honesty. I did as OMEGAPRIME1983 mentioned last night working with it and mixed in some alcohol. The quick drying and stickyness seemed to be less of an issue but still not very brush friendly. I may try what Boggs6ft7 mentioned and dip back and forth between alcohol and the paint. I did that way back when, doing a black wash with water and Liquitex acrylics on a Gundam model.

Thanks for the assistance guys. 2nd custom is really close to being done!
    -G

7. Zildjian

Zildjian Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I love Tamiya. Testors is hit or miss for me. The dip in alcohol is the key. Keep your brush moist with it and it will go on smooth as silk.

8. simplygriff

News Credits:
    Cool. I'm gonna give that a shot. Do you guys change out your alcohol between colors or just use one container to dip in?
    -G

9. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I'm not that strict about it, I always have a container of alcohol out and unless I'm painting white, usually there is so little pigment in my dirty alcohol to cause any problems.

Others may be more strict on how they use their old alcohol, but as long as its not darker than the color you are painting with, you should be okay.

10. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

this is weird. I've only ever used tamiya paints, and I've never had a problem with them. I don't use alcohol, either. not in the bottle, and I don't dip my brush in it. I don't know if it's luck, or if I just adapted my style to the paint, but it's always worked for me.

11. simplygriff

News Credits:
    Just wanted to say I tried the "dip in alcohol; dip in paint" style last night and it worked perfectly. Granted I was only doing some very light dry brushing but it went on super smooth with zero stickiness. Thanks for the tips guys. 2nd Custom is done. Pics soon. :D 
    -G