Test shot value question

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Insane Galvatron, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I was wondering if the alternator test shots are worth anything. I don't see any on ebay ( except a Silverstreak that claims to be BT, even without diecast ). I figure this is either due to rarity, or lack of interest/value. I've been thinking of selling my Smokescreen test shot to get some money for Botcon, but would rather keep it than sell it for nothing. What do you guys think? Rare, or undesired?

2. Samana Rombuca

Samana Rombuca Well-Known Member

I don't know about Smokescreen because generally the final product is more desirable unless the test shot is a variant of the final release, such as Decepticharge and Tracks (the yellow one, which I desperately seek :(  ). On the other hand, part of the desirability is from the "me first!" thinking that pervades when you can have something before it hits retail. It's not as interesting when you have the final one (more) readily available. It really depends. There are some people out there that collect these things though. This is just my opinion and my thinking though.

3. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    Rarity. You don't see any on ebay because every one of them has found a permanent place in somebody's collection.

I figure you'd get a fair price. A bit less than you paid, since it's an old mould. Set a starting price at ten bucks less than you got it for and see where it goes from there.

4. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    Thanks Ferret, I may try that. Couldn't hurt I suppose. I know I wanted this one test shot because it was of the first alt released. I know my willingness to sell it comes from owning the final product, so that will affect the price I'm sure.

5. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

About how much are you looking for it, I'm interested in it. Probably can't afford it, but interested.

6. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    It's the kind of thing that appeals to a very select market. If you can find a buyer you could probably get a fair price, though for older stuff, most test shot collectors would probably own one already.
    If it were something that never got released (example: The Smokescreen Armada Hot Shot repaint) there might be more demand, since it never got a release and is therefore a very limited item.

7. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    PM coming.

8. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm not sure what the current value for 'em is, either. I have a test shot of LOC Megatron that's mostly black, with white for the hands, head, and legs. Very cool look, and it only cost me $10 on eBay (+ $10 shipping). A neat piece in my LOC collection.

-Tony!