Tesla launches Model S: Will it be better than the Fisker Karma?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Nutcrusher, Mar 26, 2009.

?

Which do you fancy more?

1. Fisker Karma

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Tesla Model S

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Volt is a Transformer

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. There's cheaper electric cars (that can't be registered as cars and they're too dangerous)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Electric cars suck. Long live internal combustion!!!

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Nutcrusher

Nutcrusher Decepticon

News Credits:
    Tesla Model S Concept
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not much details announced. It will be a full electric car like the Roadster. It may be built on an existing platform to save cost. Rumors of 440V fast charging system have been flying around. Different battery size will be offered (more capacity for more $$$). It's a 5 seater. And the concept has a 17in screen stuck on the dash. If it ever sees the day, it will cost around $60k.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Fisker Karma is a much more tangible prospect than the Model S. Fisker had been in a long legal battle with Tesla over industrial espionage and contract, etc... It won in Fisker's favor. The Karma is a PHEV like the Volt. It means that the electric car has a backup gasoline engine to run the electrical system. It can either be charged at home, or be filled up at the gas station. Electric car/hybrid car. The Karma's party piece is the design. The body was styled by Henrik Fisker, who has worked on some of the most beautiful cars in the world such as the BMW Z8, Aston Martin DB9 and the V8 Vantage. It also features a novel optional solar panel roof to charge the batteries. The price is much higher around $90k, but it's already sold out for the first year of production, and the car produces maximum of 408hp and a massive 959lbft of torque. The technological aspect is developed by California based Quantum Technology.

There is also a convertible version previewed earlier this year.

2. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I would like the Fisker, but could never afford it.

Once I get the room to build, I am going to do an S-10 electric conversion. I rarely drive 40 miles in a day and it would be ideal for someone like me (probably most of america too). Figured I could pick up an S10 with a blown engine for cheap and then convert is over for a few thousand. Then late on I can add things like brake generators, solar cells, etc...

As far as the mass maket is concerned the Electric with gas backup is the way to go. I know you can currently do this to a Prius hybrid easily, its not cheap, but better than shelling out a bunch for gas.