Terribly disappointed of Beast Machines

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by SpriteSODA, Aug 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpriteSODA

SpriteSODA Well-Known Member

Hi guys,
    Recently I've finished watching the Beast Wars series, and it simply rocked - the great story line, the references to G1, the amazing voice acting and so on.
    Excited and eager for more, I started watching Beast Machines. Man, what a let down. I've only watched the first 4 episodes, but I can already understand that this is not the same thing. the new robot modes of our fellow comrades looks disgusting, un-transformers like, everything is too chaotic and disoriented, and Megatron stopped saying "Yesssss!".

Am I nuts? should I just keep watching hoping its going to improve?

Thx.

2. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Your not nuts...Beast Machines started out great, but quickly became a terrible terrible show.

3. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Everybody is dissapointed in Beast Machines, though for varying reasons.

I hope you like bickering. Lots and lots of bickering. Because that's what you get in Beast Machines.

4. butz

butz slippery when wet

Wow, a time traveler, from the year 1999!

5. SpriteSODA

^ ^ good one.

6. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

I thought it ended well. and i really liked beastchanger and obsidion.

7. butz

butz slippery when wet

I'd say, don't set your expectations too high, and you might end up liking it. The ending is pretty weak though; everything leading up to it was really cool, but man ... you'll see what I'm talking about if you keep watching it.

8. Fit For natalie

News Credits:
    From the TF Wiki's timeline of Transformers:

* July 16-18 - At BotCon 1999 in Saint Paul, Minnesota, the first episode of Beast Machines, "The Reformatting" is previewed, to overwhelming fan enjoyment.

* Everyone hates Beast Machines.

9. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Yeah, pretty much. It could have been so much better than it was. I liked that it was much darker than anything seen in Transformers before...but there was just so much wrong with it, I felt horribly let down in the end.

10. SpriteSODA

yup its such a shame, I already miss Megatron saying yessss, brushing his T-Rex's teeth and playing with a rubber duck =P

11. Samana Rombuca

Samana Rombuca Well-Known Member

Season 1 was the shiz. Season 2 felt like they had nothing left to draw on so they kept stretching out S1 subject matter until the show became hammered shite. Not to say that it was bad, but it feels like they couldn't find a good way to resolve things after S1 and they lost focus (or I did :dunce ). They make some characters very obsessive, stupid, arrogant, whatever you want to call it. But later additions really make it more enjoyable towards the end of the show. Beast Machines really is grim and more serious, but also more concerned with deep thought/morality, or something. You have to come to terms with how it takes what you know and then twists it. Despite my lament, I did enjoy every minute of it; doesn't mean I wouldn't change a thing. And I don't want to spoil anything so good luck, if you care to watch (which you should).

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I like BM, but only if I don't consider it transformers.

It's really very good, but it destroys everything G1 and BW set to establish as cannon, and for that, I can never forgive.

13. Samana Rombuca

Samana Rombuca Well-Known Member

everything...? :sly: 

14. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Not everybody is. I for one love the story, and love that it's the only time in Transformers history that Megatron's viewpoint actually has a tiny bit of weight behind it. It's not just "wipe out anyone who stands in my way," it's "technology over organics." Now, he takes it to a crazy-ass extreme, as he always does, but at least he had a decent starting point.

The ending sucked visually, but since it tied into some of the weird theories I've always held about Transformers, it worked well for me. And there are some truly great moments in the character revelations that were just awesome. My wife loved Thrust's true character to the point that she practically cheered when he showed up for a moment.

I won't say it's the best ever or anything, but there's a lot more depth there than there is in most Transformers shows. Especially looking back at it from now.

15. butz

butz slippery when wet

See, that was my problem with the ending too; not so much what happened, but how it all looked. Then again, I heard that the ending got rushed because they wanted to pull the plug on it sooner than planned or something.

16. cuad

cuad VOK EMISSARY

News Credits:
    It wasn't very transformer-ish. But it was watchable and enjoyable.

17. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

That was one of my main complaints about the series. Megatron was completely out of character suddenly hating all things organic. It totally came out of left field, and I never understood the reasoning behind his character change.

18. Fit For natalie

News Credits:
    It's Dan DiDio's fault. He was the one who informed Marv Wolfman BM had nothing to do with G1, then instructed Bob Skir and Marty Isenberg to disregard previous series because Beast Wars was too 'continuity heavy'.

You know a show has issues when even the actors reportedly didn't like it that much.

19. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

I personally am at the opposite end of the spectrum... when I watched Beast Machines all the way through for the first time when the DVD came out I loved it! Don't know why everyone seems to hate it, but I do admit that the Maximals' designs are a bit, er... meh.

Oh and I always figured that Megatron hated the organics because in season 1 of Beast Wars he had to deal with having a T-Rex head for a hand. Then it was gone when he got upgraded to being a Transmetal. Then when he got dunked in lava and turned into a dragon he had a stupid animal head for a hand again. That was the last straw and he knew that he had to purge his beast mode.

Obviously that's just a joke theory (or is it?!) :inquisiti 

But I really wish they had kept going with this continuity. Even if they had to take a break and show R.I.D (which I wouldn't mind because R.I.D was awesome too)

20. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I actually felt the exact opposite.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.