Terminology Thread?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by agravlin, Mar 1, 2007.

1. agravlin

agravlin Bearer of Reason

I've been here about two weeks, and I keep seeing all these terms such as "Diaclone" and "Gestalt" and "MISB", and MANY others, and I was wondering if there's a thread that explains all the hardcore Transformers collector terminology used on these boards?

Thanks. :) 

2. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

I don't think there is, actually. I can help you with some, but others will have better explanations for other things (such as Diaclone - I know what it is, someone else can explain it better though).

MISB = Mint In Sealed Box. Original, unopened, EVER.
    MIB = Mint In Box. Original toy in mint condition in original box... but it has been opened before, usually for display, or to make sure that everything's there.
    MOSC = Mint On Sealed Card. For those transformers who came on cards, rather than in boxxes. Such as Cybertron Deluxes and basics, or the Classics Deluxes.
    MOC = Mint On Card. I don't know how people reseal the bubbles, but, well... take a guess.

Gestault = Think figures like G1 Devastator, Menasor, Computron, Superion... basically, combiners. The combined figure is the gestault. Usually at least three figures are needed to qualify, I think (Energon Autobot Deluxes combined, for example, wouldn't really count)

3. Death333

Death333 Otherwise known as Dx3

News Credits:
    Diaclone & Microchange......these are the original toy lines that the first generation Transformers were pulled from. There are others toys pulled from other lines (IE: Jetfire was originally from Macross/Robotech) but for the most part the two lines mentioned above are the main lines that Transformers were built on. For more info GOOGLE either one of the above mentioned toy line names.

4. agravlin

So were the actual characters unoriginal too? Like, was there a bot who looked just like Optimus Prime before the "Transformers" franchise began?

5. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

Yep, his name was Battle Convoy, and was a non-sentient robot piloted by little men.

EDIT: this page has info about him.
    http://www.toyarchive.com/DiacloneOptimus.html

6. Death333

Death333 Otherwise known as Dx3

News Credits:
    To my knowledge: no. No cartoon was ever made and no real characters were developed. Just toys. Certain toys are exempt from the previous statement such as Jetfire, Roadbuster and Whirl.

The Microchange lines' premis was that real items such as a mini cassette recorder, a gun, Choro-Q cars (see bumblebee and cliffjumper or think Penny Racers) and what have you changed into robots.

The premis of Diaclone was originally mechs that were piloted by humans. Diaclone toys came with little drivers. This is why most G1 toys have cockpits and/or seats.

There's probably a lot of info I'm missing here but that's the basic gist.

Edit: Gr@mR

7. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

8. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They usually don't, that'd just make things worse. It just usually means that be card/bubble is still intact (like if the bubble was cut open only halfway to be able to access the figure), usually enough that the figure can be replaced inside the bubble.

Also, the word is "Gestalt", no "U" in sight. You got the definition in a previous thread, but again, it's not used in the German literal sense, as in "form/shape", but as in the definition popularized by psychology meaning "greater than the sum of its parts".

9. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Be careful with the terms MIB and MISB, some dodgey sellers will use MIB to mean sealed in box. STRANGE!

10. agravlin

What is this "mugenbine" that's popping up in threads today?

11. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Mugenbine is a one of the recent versions of "Machine Robo" (the toyline that became known as GoBots in North America). It features a system of core robots that can combine with their accessories to form animals or vehicles, or with each other, Lego-style, to form even larger machines.

12. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    welcome to the wonderful world of TF!

:D 

never to late to be a fan :) 

13. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    its all my fault really.

my bad guys!

*play with robo dumbo*