Terminator 2 judgement day - is it the best film ever made?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by megatron6661, May 5, 2011.

1. megatron6661

megatron6661 Well-Known Member

I was on YouTube listening to someone reviewing JD, is T2 the best film ever made? This film probably has no plot hole, there is possibly no weakness, it is possibly the perfect film, depends what other PPL see of what is wrong with T2. In my view terminator 2 is possibly the best film ever made. What is amazing about this film is the the CGI of JD, T2 it looks like it was made yesterday, it looks that brilliant by today's standards.

One said about T2JD, it is the anti blockbuster film. It has everything a blockbuster should have, but it is also a very emotional film that blockbuster films do lack today. For me this film is everything a blockbuster should be inspiring to, not making a quick buck.

2. karamazov80

karamazov80 Million Dollar Champion

T2 is a great film, but there are many better IMO. I like T1 better. As for crowd-pleasing action movies, I think this one is up there with Die Hard, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Matrix, Star Wars, and even the new Star Trek (that I think will be a classic for years to come). But I wouldn't rank it at the top of that list, either.

I think several Coen Brothers and Cronenberg films are more "perfect" films than anything Cameron has done, taking into consideration acting/direction, story, cinematography, pacing, and depth. Then there is Hitchcock, Akira Kurosawa, Sergio Leone, Quentin Tarantino, Spielberg, Bergman, Kubrick, films written by Paddy Chayefsky, etc. etc.

3. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
  4. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    I like it, but I have to say no.

5. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Time Travel Movies are always hard.
    For Example:
    If Sarah Conners stopped Judgment Day, how could John Conner have been born, as he was concvied by Sarah and Kyle Resse in the previous movie. If Judgment day never happend, there would be no reason to send Kyle Resse to the past and therefore John would not be born.

Does that make sense? I have always wondered about it.

6. megatron6661

Time travel has always been a a brain twister for film makers. Well the destiny was, john's father would be from the future. To possibly make it easier to explain this confusion - john's father was in the present, but since john sent someone to protect sarah, kyle falling for sarah changes who john's father is, but it does not change the fact john would be born. It is like fry and futurama, when they went back in time to the 40's, fry sleeping with his grandmother changes who the grandfather is, but it would not change the fact fry and his mother would still be born, it is just different fathers.

7. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    OP, I love you.

The director's cut of T2 is the best film ever made, with the theatrical version a close second. Rarely does a director's cut actually add so much more to a story.

8. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Close, It's my second fav.

My all-time fav is Forrest Gump.

9. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    John Connor would have been made by another guy. But when he sends Kyle Reese back, Kyle becomes his father. So basically the John Connor of that timeline is another John Connor, than the one who sent back Kyle Reese. He did not send Kyle back to ensure his existence, just to protect his mother. There is no paradoxon.

10. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    One of the best sequels ever made? Yes. Best movie ever? No.

11. j.a.f.o.

j.a.f.o. Just Looking, Not Buying

Topic isn't about what your "favorite" movie is, my friend.

I'd say T2 is among the best sci-fi movies out there.

I think the American Film Institute already ranked the 100 greatest films ever made (I believe T2 was on the list).

12. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    The time paradox isn't the plot hole that bugs be about T2 (at least, not as much), it's that in T1 they kept reiterating that the only reason Terminators can travel back in time is because of the organic tissue attached to their structure...then they send back a robot that's completely liquid metal.

13. megatron6661

It is a real brain twister, look at terminator 3 for example. Cameron tied 1 and 2 down has judgementday was stopped. T3 changed all that, so after every terminator film little things are altered, to create more sequels

14. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    So the origional John Connor has a different Dad then the T2 John Connor?

That is retarded.

15. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Terminator 2: Judgement Day is to me the action movie. Several other movies will have one or two things that it does better than T2, but rarely have I seen a movie that manages to balance all its various aspects with as much grace as it does.

It is imperfect, as all great things are but manages to be an excellent movie despite these flaws, although the Directors Cut (like Aliens) adds to it rather than detracts.

Terminator 2: Judgement Day is (along with Aliens) the yardsticks by which I would measure any sci-fi action movie sequel.

Best film ever made, no, even I the James Cameron fanboy, couldn't back that up. It is however an example on how to do the sequel game right

16. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wouldn't say it's the best sci-fi or action film ever, but I'm hard-pressed to think of more than a handful of movies that are better.

Maybe the Terminator franchise uses a system of time travel "rules" that cause alternate universes to branch off when changes are made to the past (IIRC, this is how time travel operates/operated in the Marvel universe). In this case, there's a point where Judgment Day either happens or it doesn't and that serves as the branch point, producing two alternate realities. In the universe where Judgment Day happens, Reese eventually goes back in time to before the branch point, to the common past that the Judgment Day and Non-Judgment Day universes share. Since John's conception occurs before the branch point, in that common past, he continues to exist in the non-Judgment Day reality even though Reese never goes back in time in that universe.

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  17. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    There ya go.

It's a fantastic movie, but not the best ever.

18. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree, but only because it is one of my favorite movies ever :) 

19. sh002

sh002 Banned

aliens

john connor's original dad is arnold. haha wouldn't that be a trip?

20. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    I believe that I brought this up in a T2 thread on here. Someone responded with: "Regardless of happenings, it is a continuous loop. Kyle comes back regardless, judgement day happens regardless." This is the only way that you can even make any sense of it. Like or hate part 3, but it touches on it. The Terminator explains that Judgment day is inevitable. Or the line of "You only postponed it." I had made up a timeline to help explain, but I can't find it.

Judgment day(before events of T1) was to happen roughly 2005(the year of T3). With Kyle and Terminator coming back in the first one, it moved judgment day up to 1997. In T2, they destroy Cyberdine and restore the original year of judgment day(hence postponing). Everything happens as it was supposed to, and paradox is explained.

Look at the movie The Time Machine(new one), he creates the machine to travel back in time to save his wife. A man from the future explains the paradox to why she must die every time, otherwise, he would not have created the machine.

As for the T-1000, the liquid metal possibly is explained to have created the appearance of organic tissue, how that works, I don't know. But that's what I gather on it.