Terabyte PS3

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by KAGE, Dec 21, 2009.

1. KAGE

KAGE aka: GibsonKAGE

News Credits:
    Is there some logical reason why Sony wont make or have the PS3 to support a terabyte hard drive?

I have a terabyte external on my computer with just about every show I can think of and I love watching and haven't even broke half yet. Thats even with back-up data included.

I use to share a PS3 (120G) with my brother till I got my own last week and theres a lot of things I want but I just don't trust 120G. I read that the PS3 wont support a terabyte if I wanted to upgrade it and all the madness I had to go through to copy my data over and having to replay Street Fighter and Marvel vs Capcom cause it wouldn't copy over was just silly -_-

I'm not much of a gamer but I just want some reassurance that 120G is a significant amount of space.

2. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

I haven't looked into it a whole lot honestly, but this is the first I've heard about a size cap on the HD you can put into a PS3. I've been considering a 500GB-1TB lately, but haven't looked into specifics yet. Would be nice to know one way or another before I spend the money to get one only to find out it won't work...

3. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    The PS3 uses a 2.5" drive. The max current capacity for this form factor is 640 GB - the only way to get a terabyte on a PS3 is to use a 3.5" drive, which will increase the size of the console.

An alternative is to buy an external 1 terabyte drive and plug it into your PS3 via the USB ports. Although, honestly, I have trouble filling my 80GB with valuable content...most of my TV shows, movies, and music are streamed from my PC.

4. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    I have a terabyte external hard drive with all my music films and TV shows on it, which I mainly play through the PS3.

I know I had to faff around something chronic to get it to work with the PS3, had to formatted as FAT32 (And most formatting tools won't format anything bigger than 32Gb as FAT32).

Even then, you can't put single files on it that are bigger than 4Gb.

So it's a bit of a compromise, but it works.

I have a 80Gb internal in my PS3 and that has been more than adequate so far for Game Data, Saves and downloaded games/demos.

5. Mixmaster

Mixmaster logh ghot SIS yoD TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I store my movies and music on 2.5 terabyte file and media server running Windows Home Server, which serves not only my PS3, but my PCs also. I found early on, that storing tons of music and movies on my PS3 was a pain in the arse when it came to backing up (which I do weekly).

6. KAGE

News Credits:
    I read it on a different message board I forger where.

How are you doing that? My PS3 wont read my drive, I have a Seagate.

What got me thinking about this was that I wanted to DL the oldschool Resident Evil games and 120 is not that much more than 80. I don't play many games but theres also the fact that some games have to "install" some information to be able to play.

I need to look into that, sounds cool!

7. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    Is your Seagate formatted FAT32?

8. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Good luck trying to find a 2.5 Tera hard drive, if you find one it will not be cheap. I would make a small upgrade now and wait for the prices to drop and sizes to get larger before making the tera jump.

9. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I have a 40G PS3 and haven't run into spacing trouble. I think you will be fine.

10. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    How is 120 "not much more than 80"? it's 40 more. that's a full third.

The PS1 RE games dont even hit 3GB together.

I've had a 60GB PS3 since March of 2007, I own 12 PS3 games, I have yet to uninstall a single game that requires an install, and I have 15 GB free. that's also taking into account the 10 PS1 games I have on my system.

120GB is fine. and again, they dont even make 1TB 2.5 hard drives.

11. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

It should be. Hell man, a vast majority of Xbox 360 owners, including myself, are still using the 20 gig HDD that came with it. I've had mine for almost 3 years now and have only used *maybe* 3/4 of the total available space. Granted, I don't download movies or TV shows or use Netflix, but still...

But if you're that worried, there is the 250 gig PS3 Slim available too. It's $50 more, but you get a little over twice the HDD space.

12. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yea, if you are just using your hard drive for game data the 120 will last you no problem. I have a ton of demos, home videos, music and PS2 saved data on mine and I am just over 120 gigs. I put a 320 gig hard drive in mine I bought a launch 60 gig and got a deal on a 2.5 HD from Amazon.

13. KAGE

News Credits:
    I don't think so how do I find out?

Sorry I'm still trying to understand the volume of data space. I have to remember not to look at just the number.

14. KAGE

News Credits:
    Never mind I got it! Now I just need somewhere to store all my files while I format this thing LOL!

15. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

I've got a 500gb in mine and it's pretty nice. I've got about 320GB left. Then again I don't store full length movies on it. I perfer to stream that stuff over my network.

16. Blackout32

Blackout32 Subdivisions

I put a 250gig drive in mine I got from tigerdirect but I have often wondered WHAT is the largest size you COULD put in a PS3. Mine was orginally the 60gig at launch so I wonder if I fill up my 250gig well formated to 232gig I had left, if I decided to buy a bigger one would it take a 320 or a 500gig.

17. KAGE

News Credits:
    when copying data over to a new HD you ever had any problems with saved games? I had issues with Street Fighter, all online stats were cool but "in game" saves I had to start over -_-'

Does backup and data transfer, copy that kind'a information?