Tennessee.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NemesisBruticus, Apr 4, 2009.

1. NemesisBruticus

NemesisBruticus Banned

Im going down to Tennessee this summer to visit some relatives, what is it like down there, compared to New york?

2. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob since 2007

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Is Tennesssee where Miley Cyrus live?

3. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

^Dunno it's an awesome song though

4. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

I'm moving there for graduate school. I have no idea what life there is like. I am very interested to see the responses in this thread...

5. NemesisBruticus

NemesisBruticus Banned

The related threads made me lol

6. koh4711

koh4711 King of Hearts

Ebay:
    In terms of weather, rain and thunderstorms can crop up a little more in summer than they might in other places. I don't know if Tennessee's got the humidity problems than Georgia does, off hand, but if it does... yikes.

My roommate's from New York(a little ways outside NYC), and I know she said coming to Oklahoma, it was a bit of a shock how many people would randomly strike up conversations around the city. It's much the same in Tennessee, from what I've heard.

Naturally, all this depends a little on which part of the state you're going to. I know a bit more about Knoxville than other places. I've heard some people say there's not a lot to do(my old boss said she went to a corporate meeting there, and everyone kept asking "Have you been to the new Walmart?" like it was Disney World). However, if you like animals, the Knoxville Zoo's worth a stop for sure. We're actually driving four hours out of our way on a trip to Florida to go there, though I suppose it doesn't hurt it's the leading zoo for the animals I'm researching.

Now, if you're outside the bigger cities, it might be a bit of a culture shock. I know it was for my fiancee and roomie when they went from Orange County and New York, respectively, to a small town in Arizona. If you're used to running around and doing a lot, you might get a little stir crazy.

Hope some of this helps!

7. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    tennessee is frickin awesome, you will have oodles of fun :lolol  .....but watch out when parking....they park WEIRD!!!!!!

seriously, we went to nashville to a k-mart and the lines for parking were marked like this:
    \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
    ///////////////

and line after line of cars were parked like this on the lines:
    lllllllllllllllllll
    lllllllllllllllllll

it was a WTF moment for sure :lolol 

8. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Ah... Tennessee. The volunteer state. The land of agriculture, commerce, excellent SWAT training and Pamela Rogers Turner (PROTIP: Google). Yum. :p 

9. Prowl_Delta_31

Prowl_Delta_31 Eating your donuts

News Credits:
  10. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

Which is in a dry county. I always found that funny.

11. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

My parents have friends who live in Tennessee in a town called Paris (which they have a replica of the Eiffel Tower in the town's park). All I know is that the town of Paris, Tennessee isn't too far from the Nashville area, as my parents were able to visit Andrew Jackson's home, the Hermitage.

I've never been down there personally, but from what I heard it's not so bad down there. People seem to be very nice there.

12. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    It depends on where you go in Tennessee. Nashville compared to Murfreesboro are two very different places. Like in Georgia Atlanta is to Savannah. There are a lot of different types of towns and terrains.

13. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Gatlinburg is pretty cool, Knoxville smells like burnt ass, and Nashville rocks. And you can go white water rafting in Chatanooga on the Ocoee (sp?).

14. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

Any gossip on Memphis?

15. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

Sweet!

16. Blackstar

Blackstar Aaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! TFW2005 Supporter

Memphis is the gang capital of the state....lots of crime, scary in places at night. I've lived in the state all my life...lots of great parks and scenery, the people are usually really friendly, and it's easy to get most places.

Welcome to the promised land!

17. Maximum Burn

Maximum Burn JETS AND HELI!! I LIKEY!

Really? Man, I got to talk to my cousins then. I've been missing out. All they did was either paintball or hanging out at the mall or the parking lot of walmart.

If you are going there, be prepared for ear popping effect cause of the mountains and it's slightly humid. It's sort of difficult to get used to if you live in the city a lot. I heard that mountains is where the KKK gather or so I am told. I think they were messing with me cause I am from the city.

18. chrizgrv

chrizgrv lurker in the depths

I would not be surprised.

I live in the county above Memphis. Memphis has some great places to visit. You just have to be smart and careful of your surroundings like in any city.

19. Wolfguard

Wolfguard Your own personal Jesus.

^ Shelby County by chance?

I lived in Bartlett between the fall of 1982 and summer of 1985. It wasn't so bad - I'm going back to visit when I have the money and time. Most of the people were really nice, and the small town feel was cool. Found a bunch of imported Mospeada and Macross stuff there when the Gobot and Transformer craze began in 84.

The weather...well, early spring, and the fall and winter were great - snow days off for school. The late spring and entire summer were hell. I don't like the heat, and it gets HOT...like evil hot. Tons of wasps too - hornets, yellow jackets and cicada killers. If you dig the heat and don't mind the bugs, you'll prolly have a great time.

20. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've had friends who I visited there. Lots of Southern hospitality, lets of clean air. Great national parks. Lots to see and do in Nashville and Memphis. Lots of mountain roads, so learn to drive them well.