Tennessee Recommendations?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by koh4711, Aug 10, 2011.

1. koh4711

koh4711 King of Hearts

Ebay:
    Okay, so... I'm leaving for a road trip to Tennessee here in just about a week, and will be seeing my mom for the first time in a very long while. I'm also thrilled that I'll finally be able to visit the Knoxville Zoo, which is essentially the red panda capitol of the United States, and I'm hopeful I'll get to chat with the keepers and make some contacts for when school's done.

And... yeah. That's literally all we have planned.

Anyone have any suggestions for what we might visit? We're staying in Newport, with Knoxville a little more than an hour away. We'll also be driving through Nashville and Memphis(Note to self: Take Thunder flags off car before driving through Memphis), so while we probably won't have a whole lot of time, if there's any kind of "must stop by" restaurant or anything, I'd welcome suggestions.

Thanks for any help you can pass along!

2. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    You're heading for the home of Jack Daniel's Whiskey. A pilgrimage to their distillery is a must.

3. Gort

Gort Klaatu barada nikto TFW2005 Supporter

Just south of Knoxville are Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. There is tons of crazy tourist attractions there - Dollywood, a waterpark (Wilderness Lodge), mini golf, video arcades, dinner shows, gokarts, strange museums. It's like redneck Las Vegas, but it's a ton of fun. If you make it to Chattanooga, they have a great aquarium and children's museum (12 and under would enjoy this). There is also a nice park across the river and an art museum. We live near Atlanta, but we visit Chattanooga at least six times a year and usually get to Pigeon Forge once or twice.

4. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    Memphis also have a very nice zoo. Graceland (if your an Elvis fan) and also the Human Rights museum at the place of Martin Luther King's assassination.

5. cagliostro

cagliostro Victi Vincimus

A better state? :D 

6. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    BOOO!!!:thumbdown 

Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg would be my suggestions. They have all the stuff mentioned plus Gatlinburg also has an aquarium that's not as large as Chattanooga's but it's good as well.

Chattanooga has the aquarium, Ruby Falls, Rock City, and an amusement park called Lake Winnepesaukah (technically in north GA but it's not far).

I'm sure there's lots to do in Nashville, but I haven't been there in a while other than my uncle's funeral last year. Also not sure what places reopened after the flood damage from a couple of years ago.

7. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Spend some time in nashville, if you are a nightlife kinda person hang out on broad and look for The Big Bang its a piano bar with dueling pianists who are quite talented if its the same guys.

flying suacer has a lot of fun beers on tap if you are into that kinda thing

if in memphis for a while check out Beale Street. (spelling?) its a lot of fun and should be done atleast once, the street performers are pretty good too!

and things that dont involve alcohol.................. well its the south their aren't any

8. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

I recommend Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg as well, though they are quite touristy. My brother lives in Sevierville (just outside of PF). My wife and I liked the area so much we got married there and spent our honeymoon in Gatlinburg. Helps to have family who knows people to get you into local attractions and shit for free.

9. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If you love music...all kinds...you can get your fill in and around the Nashville area, tons of bars and clubs to park yourself and listen. The future stars of tomorrow play everywhere. Music Row has museums galore to visit.. Also Nashville has a zoo as well. There's an elephant sanctuary about 1 1/2 away from Nashville too.

Memphis for the blues, the Peabody for the ducks and the pyramid!! :D 

Not sure of your other interests, but give us a hint and we can tell ya things to see.

10. Ecchokat

Ecchokat Ponyologiest for Hire!

Ebay:
    Gatlinburg is a must. The Ripley's aquriume and Musem is cool. Their is a Knife work place around peigon forge