Ten Cent Plague?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by jessecuster, May 19, 2008.

1. jessecuster

jessecuster One Goal!

News Credits:
    Has anyone else read this book the Ten Cent Plague? Its all about the the institution of the comics code in the 1950s and how Frederic Wertham's book Seduction of The Innocent led to the state of how comics have been regarded since then. Its really fascinating and has led me to picking up a number of older horror, crime, war, and such comics.

For a very interesting treatise on the history of comics I highly recommend it.

2. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I've looked at it, but I already have a couple of other books that cover some of the same ground (Gerard Jones's Men of Tomorrow and the excellent Comic Book Nation). It's not one of my favorite periods in comic history, so I'm not really inclined to read another book about it.

3. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

I saw the author on Book TV (a great way to get a survey of the books out there) and it looked interesting. I was well aware of Wertham's Seduction of the Innocent, but wasn't aware just how widespread and accepted the view was (at least if 10cP's author is correct).

4. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

NPR's On Point did a show about the book and the topic ~2 months ago. It's worth a listen, if nothing else.

5. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

You should actually read the Senate Subcommittee hearings, great if dishearting history. Its shocking how the government was out to shut down crime and horror comics anyway they could.

I have it on order now...since I'm writing thesis on this period and comic books I better include this work lol.

Another great book on the subject is Martin Barker's A Haunt of Fears, which covers Britain's reaction to American crime and horror comcis during this period.