Temporal Escalation (AKA, Revenge of the Repaints)

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Fiction' started by peteynorth, Dec 22, 2005.

1. peteynorth

peteynorth TFW2005 Supporter

I created this story about a year ago, and left it un-updated for quite awhile. It’s been archived, so I’m reposting. Keep in mind that this was written prior to the seeming stay of execution for the Universe line, the news of the G1-Neo line, the new BW molds and many of the GF/Cyb molds. Also, please note that I’m attempting to keep the character sizes along the lines of the toys sizes, meaning that if Toy A is bigger than Toy B, then Character A will be bigger than Character B. The general rule is toy height in cm*1.6 = character height in feet for most characters, gestalts and giants might be cm*3.2 = feet, but that’s not hard and fast. Enjoy:

(Original author notes): In light of what appears to be the demise of 'Transformers: Universe', I figured I'd come out with a different direction for a repaint line. As I introduce the characters, I'll be presenting the applicable toy in [ ]'s. I’m envisioning this for a post Galaxy Force/Cybertron era, probably one coinciding with the post-movie line, so several of the ‘repaints’ will be Galaxy Force toys. I’m currently planning 6 parts, but that’s not a hard and fast number. Oh, and this LOOSELY takes place in the G1 cartoon universe.

Temporal Escalation A.K.A. Revenge of the Repaints

Part 1: If At First You Don’t Succeed

Sounds; sounds and blackness. Was this godhood? Surely the feeble attempts of one pathetic idealist weren't enough to stop him in his rise to omnipotence, but godhood should certainly not have left him feeling so...so...powerless. The sounds were trickling in much the way his final memories were, memories of unimaginable power and greatness, a sudden shift from absolute certainty to terrifying doubt, and the feelings of an emasculating reformation of his physical being, before slipping into utter oblivion.

The oblivion had apparently ended, as both his audio processors and mental faculties were now functioning to the point where he was aware of many individuals around him. Light slowly bled through the blackness, an indication that the optical sensors were now coming on line as well. Megatron looked up to see the blurry outlines of over a dozen forms standing in front of him throughout the room that he had awakened in. Concentrating on the form closest to him, the former conqueror slowly made out features that were his own. But as colors made their return to Megatron's visual capabilities, the deviations became abundant. What was once red was now blue; the face of black now light gray. And the stance combined with the infuriating smile on display revealed to Megatron the identity of his apparent body thief even before the voice confirmed it [BLUE REPAINT OF BEAST MACHINES DRAGON MEGATRON]. "Welcome back to existence, my dear Tyrotron."

Though still extremely weak and disoriented, the former warlord snarled angrily in reply. "You will address me as Megatron, Cryotek!"

"And continue to humor your delusions of greatness? No, my protégé, I think it's time you were dragged back into the real world; a world where you are nothing more than my useful lackey." The blue criminal leaned in and widened his grin. "But it is good to see that you have made it through your own death without any apparent complications." The smug Predacon smirked as he turned back around and looked to the group of robots standing throughout the room. "Some of those here doubted that I would have the skill to revive you after your disgraceful fall from grace. Your second fall from grace, actually, both occurring at the hands of a fledgling Optimus who had chosen a civilian lifestyle." Cryotek shook his head in shame as he turned back to his former pupil. "I used to feel pride at how your words and accomplishments reflected upon me, but now I feel only disgust."

Finally realizing that he was on his knees, Megatron rose from the ground, and recognized that he was once again in his original, yet Earth modified body [RobotMasters Megatron]. At least it seemed to be his original body, but there was one significant difference; at a little over nineteen feet, he was more that twice his original height. He then noted that Cryotek and the other Predacons present had been scaled up in much the same manner. Deciding to question this development later, Megatron addressed Cryotek's unflattering remarks. "If I am such a disgrace, then why revive me? Certainly a disappointment such as me is unworthy of being reawakened." Megatron smirked back, knowing that he must have something that Cryotek wanted for his former teacher to have re-animated him, and having no intention of giving whatever that was up without adequate compensation.

A predominantly green Predacon stepped forward and addressed the newly awakened Megatron [Beast Wars Cicadacon]. "We have summoned you here for a purpose."

Megatron peered up at the speaker, the voice bearing some familiarity but the physical form bearing none. "Who are you?"

Cryotek laughed at his former pupil's question. "Ah yes, I suppose you wouldn't recognize General Line of the TriPredacus Council in his new form." The blue robot then turned and waved his hand in the direction of the two Predacons that had been standing next to Line prior to him stepping forward [Beast Wars Ram Horn and Sea Clamp]. "And these are the other two members of our governing body, Hook and Sinker."

Megatron peered at them in confusion. "Why organic traits?" It was then that the black and purple Predacon realized that all of the Predacons in attendance were configured much as his crew had been shortly after crashing on pre-historic Earth.

The fearsome looking Hook replied. "Your failure in the conquest of Cybertron resulted in the entire planet being covered in technorganic material, and the entire populace possessing the ability to consume this material for sustenance."

Sinker snapped his claws before continuing. "That is, the entire populace with the exception of myself and my colleagues on the TriPredacus Council."

Megatron peered quizzically at each member of the TriPredacus Council as he asked a question. "Why would the Oracle not include you three when upgrading Cybertron's populace?" A gleam came over the fallen warlord's optics as he considered a possibility.

"We have yet to determine that," Line responded "but in order to consume the new technorganic material, thereby conserving our energon for endeavors beyond basic survival, we had to have an organic alternate mode. So we rebuilt ourselves into these current forms."

Megatron nodded. "I see, but why organic forms that seem to be Terran in origin? Planning a trip to Earth?" The black and purple Predacon snickered.

Cryotek turned to his former student and smiled. "As a matter of fact, we are, which is precisely why you were awakened."

"You really should see about getting your frame reformatted." Cheetor [Beast Machines deluxe] whispered.

"Slag that." The large Optimus [Big Convoy] replied in a louder, yet still whispered tone. "Being off-world and missing that salad toss was the best thing that could have happened for me. Now be quiet and get your mind back on business. I want this thing wrapped up quickly so I can see these creeps off to the detention facility and get back to cleaning up the mess you guys left on Earth."

"Mess?" Cheetor replied quietly, yet indignantly. "Sorry if we left a few paw-prints while rescuing existence, Optimus Grand."

The horned Optimus turned and sent a stern stare at the smaller Maximal to be silent, but softened as he saw the hurt look on Cheetor's face. "I guess you’re not familiar with my brand of humor. Your team did a magnificent job in both the Beast Wars and in the Beast/Machine conflict, and the entire galaxy will be forever in your debt, even if the majority of it will never know it. But there is still a lot of work to be done on prehistoric Earth. There's a Decepticon warship embedded in the Andes that needs to be returned to the bottom of the Pacific, there's the lab of a mad scientist deep below the surface of Easter Island that needs to be removed, there's debris from two modern ships that needs cleaning up, and few more stasis pods that need retrieving. I'm just glad that Agent Cerberus was able to retrieve and return Waspinator and the remains of several other Predacons." The normally serious Optimus allowed himself a quiet chuckle. "Though having returned during the height of the Vehicon occupation, Cerberus' opinion of his homecoming is far less positive than mine."

"I know, sorry to be so defensive." Cheetor replied.

"No problem kid, pretty normal for a Max your age to have a short fuse." Grand whispered as he raised the communicator on his left wrist to his faceplate. "Now let's get ready to break this party up and arrest these dirt bags. I've been waiting vorns to catch the TriPredacus Council in the middle of one of their schemes, and tracking them to a meeting with several Predacon criminals, including Cryotek, is an even bigger payoff than I could have hoped for." With a mental command, Optimus Grand switched on his communicator. "Optimus BattaLion, come in."

A voice quietly came through the speaker in Grand's wrist. "BattaLion here. I'm in position, just give the word old friend."

"Is all ready for launch, Magmatron?" Cryotek called out as he and the other Predacons entered a large hangar.

Megatron looked up to see a saurian Predacon [BW Neo Magmatron] standing nearly thirty and a half feet in height standing in the middle of the room next to a larger version of Covert Agent Ravage's transwarp ship. The enormous Predacon replied as he watched his comrades’ approach. "The stealth ship is fully fueled and ready for launch." Magmatron then turned to Megatron and growled. "Has the pretender provided the information that you need?"

Cryotek turned to Megatron, and then looked at the TriPredacus Council. "Ask away, my lords. I couldn't care less about your fallen Lieutenant."

Line drew a blade that was attached to one of his wings and pressed it against Megatron's throat. "The Maximals have been very tight lipped about the specifics regarding the Beast Wars. Most of these specifics are of no importance to us, but we do wish to know of the final location of Tarantulas. So please, let me know where we can pay our final respects to our fallen agent." With that the green Predacon increased the force to the blade against Megatron's neck.

Megatron raised a finger to the blade, slowly and politely pushed it away a few inches, smiled and cleared his throat. "No need for such dramatics, I'll be happy to tell you where you can find the remains of that treacherous arachnid. In what is now called Easter Island there is a cave, and in that cave you will find one of Tarantulas' labs, as well as bits and pieces of his carcass littered across the floor."

Line turned back to the two other members of the Council, both of whom stared at Megatron in disgust. Hook calmly, but angrily addressed Megatron. "We had you rebuilt and rescaled because we felt that you might be an asset in the battles to come. But your utter disrespect for your most valuable fallen comrade sickens us."

Sinker turned to Cryotek. "He's served his purpose, he's of no more use to us."

"GO!"

No sooner had Grand's command blurted through Optimus BattaLion's [RM LioConvoy] wrist communicator than the warrior was charging toward the secondary entrance to the facility that was holding their Predacon quarry. His team following closely behind him, BattaLion kicked in the metal door and charged in with pistols drawn. "Hard and fast Maximals! We're not here as executioners, but we're not here to take chances either! So no second chances, either they surrender or we take them down!"

The team of Maximals charged through the hallways, following their sensors to a room that apparently held all of the Predacons they were hunting. On the opposite end of the complex Optimus Grand's team was doing the same. Several seconds later BattaLion was kicking in another door and looking upon a group of giant Predacons next to an enormous, yet sleek craft. An enlarged Cryotek looked to be moments away from blasting what appeared to be an enlarged version of Megatron. Immediately brushing aside his surprise at the size of the Predacons, Megatron's apparent existence, and the presence of a ship identical in design to the one that reportedly had been used to transport Ravage to ancient Earth, BattaLion called out to the Predacons. "Release or power down your weapons now and prepare to be taken into custody!"

Cryotek, as well as the other Predacons present, looked at the seven Maximals and started laughing. The blue crime lord turned and called out to the largest member of the team. "Magmatron, eliminate these idiots."

Magmatron smiled and took a step toward the intruders, but the door on the other end of the hangar was torn off of its hinges by a massive kick and sent flying toward the center of the room. Grand came charging in, his big cannon drawn and ready for action. Upon seeing Magmatron, Grand growled and pointed his weapon directly at the massive Predacon's chest. "Nice upgrade, Magmatron, and a very considerate posture I might add. It gives me an easier target." With that Grand unloaded on the giant Predacon, the ordinance sending Magmatron stumbling back and falling to the ground.

"Predacons, return fire!" Line called out, and a moment later the hangar was awash with speeding rounds of various types.

"We don't have time for this!" Cryotek called out. "Board the ship, board it now!" The other Predacons, including the only marginally wounded Magmatron, began filing into the craft. The blue crime lord looked back at his protégé, whose execution had gone uncompleted due to the interruption of the Maximals. "Once again you cheat death, Tyrotron, but if the history that I am about to write deems you worthy of existence, know that I will make sure that existence is short and painful." The closing door removed Cryotek from view of Megatron and the Maximals, and the opening ceiling and the ignition of the thrusters made it clear that a Predacon escape was imminent.

Though more than a dozen feet shorter, BattaLion was able to tackle Megatron to the ground, and then point a pistol directly at the Predacon's face. "Don't move!" Covering Megatron with one pistol, BattaLion then pointed his other pistol up at the underside of the departing ship and fired with the rest of the Maximals.

Despite the combined firepower of the Maximals, the Predacon ship seemed to have no difficulty ascending into the sky and disappearing. Cryotek replaced Line in the pilot’s seat and casually steered the craft up into Cybertron's orbit, and only upon noticing the approach of several Maximal ships did he engage the stealth mode. The criminal laughed as he watched the blips on his sensor that represented the Maximal ships zip around in confusion at the apparent disappearance of the Predacon ship. "Maximal fools. I often wondered how evolution failed to weed your kind out of existence; I now realize that with my help, it will." The Predacon laughed as he sped farther out away from Cybertron and eventually catapulted the ship into transwarp space.

Although he was almost nine feet taller than the horned Maximal, Megatron took a submissive posture when Optimus Grand approached him. "Why if it isn't the great Optimus Grand. Your timing is, of course, impeccable."

Grand kept his cannon pointed at the Predacon's face as BattaLion pulled the prisoner to his feet. The golden optics of the burly Maximal narrowed as he peered at the Predacon captive. He then turned to Cheetor, who was approaching from behind him. "Is it him, Kid?" Cheetor stared, hatred burning in his optics. The infuriated Maximal started raising his rifle, intent on blasting his enlarged enemy to pieces, but Grand's hand came down, gripped the top of the rifle and directed it away from Megatron. "I guess that's a yes." Turning back to the prisoner, Grand addressed him. "Megatron, AKA Tyrotron, you are under arrest on the charges of grand theft, murder, attempted murder, attempted genocide, attempted...” Grand shook his head and looked toward BattaLion before once again addressing Megatron. "We don't have time to go over the entire list, but answer our questions regarding your cohorts, and we might get a few charges knocked off. Refuse, and I let the kid fire away."

Megatron chuckled lightly. "Yessss, Cheetor does look to be especially hopped up on catnip today, but unfortunately I haven't the slightest idea as to where my fellow Predacons are headed. As your mane-bearing colleague will attest to, they were about to kill me when you arrived."

"LIAR!" Cheetor called out, but refrained from reacting violently.

Grand looked to BattaLion, who nodded. "From what I saw when I first entered the hangar, that is very likely the truth. But that doesn't mean he doesn't have an knowledge concerning the other Predacons."

Grand cocked his cannon and looked up at Megatron. "I'm not going to play any games with you. Just know that unless there's a valid reason to let you live, I won't."

Megatron grinned, but there was a hint of fear displayed in his face. "That's not very Maximal of you, Grand. Why, I do believe that they could kick you out of the Optimus club for even saying such a thing."

Grand extended his arm and pointed his canon directly between Megatron's optics. "I trust you know my reputation. Other Optimii deal in ideals, I deal in realities. You are beyond redemption or rehabilitation, you are without conscience, and you have a knack for escaping internment. I feel completely justified in sparing existence from your presence, and I have no fear of any and all repercussions for this justice. If you know anything about me, then you must realize that these statements are true. And these reasons for why I would have no problem killing you are strictly business."

Grand's optics narrowed in anger. "But I have personal reasons for wanting you dead as well. There are several, but one clearly outweighs the others. My primary function is to train Optimii, to take Cybertronians with vast untapped potential and shape them into the pinnacle of our species. I have trained many, and am immeasurably proud of each, but there was only one whom I looked upon as a human would his own son. He was brilliant, physically gifted, and a hopeless idealist. His idealism and my cynicism led to many heated arguments, but each argument only increased my respect for the lad. Even his decision to avoid a military or law enforcement career in favor of scientific exploration only made me more proud of him." Grand's right index finger shook, his eagerness to squeeze the trigger and blast Megatron's head to oblivion clearly evident. "And while I immensely respect the one for which our order is named, Primal is truly Cybertron's greatest hero; a hero who died bringing an end to your tyranny. So believe me when I tell you that not only will I kill you, I'll be smiling beneath my faceplate as I do so."

BattaLion stepped forward, genuinely nervous that Grand might actually murder the prisoner. "Megatron, please tell us what Cryotek and the Council have on their agenda. If you don't, he will kill you. I promise that I'll do all I can to stop him, but in his current state, I know that I'd fail. So please, tell us what you know about your comrades."

Though fully aware that Grand would in fact pull the trigger, Megatron grinned as he replied. "I have no doubt that Grand would kill me, but he won't. You see, while I have no knowledge as to what my old mentor is up to, I do have some knowledge that you Maximals would find valuable."

BattaLion looked nervously at Grand, who was now shaking slightly out of fury and anticipation, before looking back at Megatron. "You'd better share it right now, Megatron. What do you know?"

"Only the whereabouts of Cybertron's greatest hero."

"Man, that thing gives me the creeps." The Predacon [G.F. Dinoshout] muttered as he looked out the port window upon the decapitated head of Unicron floating in orbit above Cybertron.

"Your comments are unnecessary, Ravenous." Sinker replied, almost angrily. "We have returned to the final days of the Great War to succeed where Tyrotron, or Megatron as he had taken to calling himself, failed. Only our attack on the past will be far more ambitious, far more encompassing, and will be impossible to stop."

"Yes,” Cryotek continued. "Our attack on the Autobots will be brutal, our assistance to the Decepticons will be immeasurable, and our victory will be assured. The Earth year 2007 will mark the point where history took a divergent path, one that ushered in the age of conquerors. Predacons forever!"

2. peteynorth

I've decided to list tech specs concerning the characters introduced in the finished chapters (at least once they've been modified into their new toy forms).

Autobots/Maximals

Name: Optimus Grand
    Toy: Beast Wars Neo Big Convoy
    Function: Maximal Military Commander
    Strength: 9
    Intelligence: 9.5
    Speed: 2
    Reflexes: 9
    Endurance: 9
    Courage: 10
    Firepower: 10
    Combat Skill: 10
    Function Skill: 10
    Height: 10'7" (pre-modified), 29'7" (modified),
    Weight: 3,500 lbs (pre-modified), 28,000 lbs (modified)

Name: Optimus BattaLion
    Toy: RobotMaster LioConvoy
    Function: Maximal Field General
    Strength: 6
    Intelligence: 9
    Speed: 5
    Reflexes: 10
    Endurance: 8.5
    Firepower: 7
    Combat Skill: 9.3
    Function Skill: 9.5
    Height: 6'7" (pre-modified), 19'3" (modified)
    Weight: 1,800 lbs (pre-modified), 15,500 lbs (modified)

Name: Cheetor
    Toy: Nightslash Cheetor
    Function: Maximal Reconnaissance
    Strength: 0.6 (Size modification not performed)
    Intelligence: 7.2
    Speed: 8
    Endurance: 1.2 (Size modification not performed)
    Courage: 9
    Firepower: 5
    Combat Skill: 7.5
    Function Skill: 8
    Height: 7'
    Weight: 1,000 lbs

Decepticons/Predacons

Name: Cryotek
    Toy: Beast Machines Megatron (dragon)
    Function: Predacon Crimelord
    Strength: 5
    Intelligence: 10
    Speed: 9
    Endurance: 8
    Courage: 7
    Firepower: 8
    Combat Skill: 7
    Height: 19' 5"
    Weight: 15,750 lbs

Name: Tyrotron, A.K.A. Megatron (BW/BM Megatron)
    Toy: RobotMasters Beast Megatron
    Function: Predacon Warlord (Fugitive)
    Strength: 6.5
    Speed: 4
    Firepower: 8
    Combat Skill: 9
    Height: 19' 2.5"
    Weight: 16,000 lbs

Name: Hook, A.K.A. Horn
    Toy: Beast Wars Ramhorn
    Function: TriPredacus Council Member - Political Manipulation
    Speed: 1.5
    Reflexes: 8.8
    Courage: 8
    Firepower: 2
    Height: 17' 7"
    Weight: 14,000 lbs

Name: Line, A.K.A. Cicadacon
    Toy: Beast Wars Cicadacon
    Function: TriPredacus Council Member - Espionage
    Strength: 3.5
    Speed: 7
    Reflexes: 9.5
    Endurance: 4
    Firepower: 3
    Combat Skill: 9.2
    Height: 16'
    Weight: 10,500 lbs

Name: Sinker, A.K.A. Sea Clamp
    Toy: Beast Wars Sea Clamp
    Function: TriPredacus Council Member - Military Operations
    Strength: 5.5
    Speed: 1
    Endurance: 7.5
    Combat Skill: 9.1
    Height: 19' 2.4"
    Weight: 13,500 lbs

Name: Magmatron
    Toy: Beast Wars Neo Magmatron
    Function: Predacon Warlord
    Strength: 9.3
    Intelligence: 7
    Speed: 3
    Reflexes: 7
    Firepower: 7
    Combat Skill: 9.6
    Function Skill: 7.5
    Height: 30' 5"
    Weight: 32,500 lbs

Name: Ravenous
    Toy: Galaxy Force Dinoshout
    Function: Predacon Warrior
    Intelligence: 4
    Endurance: 6
    Firepower: 4
    Function Skill: 5
    Height: 20' 9.6"
    Weight: 15,000 lbs

3. peteynorth

Part 2: Revisionist History

"Optics on full sensitivity, cadet; this is most likely a trap." BattaLion warned the smaller Optimus-in-training that was pushing ahead of the other four members of the search team.

Prowl [Beast Wars MagnaBoss Prowl] turned around and quickly fell back with the others. "My apologies, Optimus BattaLion. I guess I'm a little eager."

BattaLion looked to his best friend, the canine tracker who had been leading the group prior to the young Prowl rushing out ahead, and smiled beneath his faceplate at seeing Wolfang's [Galaxy Force Wolfang] toothy grin. It was an indication that they both were thinking that Prowl's comment about being eager was an enormous understatement. The youth's exceptional intelligence, honor, courage and code of ethics had brought him to the attention of the Council of Optimii shortly before Megatron's, or Tyrotron as they had come to find was his original name, unleashing of an incapacitating virus that had shut down the entire planet. But upon his reawakening, Prowl's desire to be an Optimus was so fervent that the first thing that he had done was to have his frame rebuilt into the likeness of an Optimus, something that was typically seen as taboo for anyone who had not completed the training.

But as frame redesigning was so commonplace in those days following the Great Reformatting, few took issue with Prowl's presumption. Even BattaLion, whose frame and alternate mode was specifically used as Prowl's model, felt no negativity toward the youth. It was just another example of Prowl's overpowering zeal. "Well just keep that eagerness in check." BattaLion then looked to the other two members of the search party, Ironhide and Talon [Beast Wars MagnaBoss Ironhide and Silverbolt], two Maximal security officers that were under Wolfang's tutelage. "And the suggestion to keep optics sensitive applies to you two as well."

Ironhide gruffly replied. "With all due respect, we'll be following Wolfang's suggestions. The Council of Optimii holds no authority over the Maximal Security Council."

The predominantly organic wolf snarled before transforming into robot mode. "Watch your tone, Ironhide!" Wolfang growled as he approached the hulking Maximal. "I failed to detect any 'due respect' in your comments to my friend, and if my senses didn't detect it, then it just wasn't there! Your response was totally uncalled for!"

Despite Wolfang's obvious anger, and his superior rank, Ironhide failed to back down. "Look sir, if I offended him as your friend, then I apologize. But if this is about him being an Optimus, I couldn't give less of a smelt. I don't see why these guys are held on a pedestal, they just adopt the appearance of an icon from a barbaric era and march around like they own the planet. The Security Council does all the real work, and the few tasks that the Optimii undertake usually get screwed up. Remember Protoform X?"

"I do." Prowl responded, feeling a controlled rage as he did so. "But according to the data tracks I read, that mission was sidetracked not due to the ineptitude of a young Maximal, but due to the ineptitude of the Security Council being unable to keep Predacon criminals from stealing the Golden Disk."

"Go smelt yourself, litter-box." Talon snarled as he made his way toward the neophyte Optimus.

"Enough!" BattaLion and Wolfang yelled in unison. BattaLion continued. "I'm sorry if some of you have some pent up feelings regarding our respective orders, but those need to be dealt with on YOUR time."

Wolfang picked it up from there, peering directly at Ironhide as he spoke. "We will discuss this matter later. From this point on you need to attend to business and help us fulfill our objective. Now, if whatever issue you have with Optimii, or his involvement in the Protoform X debacle, prevents you from aiding us in finding this particular subject let me know and I'll happily relieve you from duty. Otherwise, act like a professional and deal with your Optimus-envy some other time!"

The voice of Optimus Grand burst forth from BattaLion's wrist communicator. "Slag it you twits, you know smeltin' well that everything you morons say and do is being transmitted back to me and the Predacon scumbag, and I'm forced to hear him laugh at your idiocy! Now untuck your bearings and start acting like Maximals! Now, if you're done throwing tantrums, the scumbag says that you've got about another twelve miles to go in your current direction before you hit the tunnel that will take you down to the pit he last saw Primal. So get your fleshy hindquarters in gear!"

"Yes sir." BattaLion responded before watching Wolfang transform and following him deeper into technorganic depths of Cybertron.

"That's quite the crack team that you've assembled."

"Shut it, Tyrotron." Optimus Grand grumbled without turning to look at the giant Predacon prisoner chained to the wall behind him.

"You will address me as Megatron! I have done more to earn that mantle than my forebear!" The captive Predacon spat back.

"You've earned slag!" Grand snapped as he turned around. "One of the many reasons I wanted Cryotek so badly was so that I could brag about how my pupil kicked the slag out of his pupil. You had all the chips on both Earth and here on Cybertron, and he still handed you your skidplate on both worlds. You're not a conquerer; you're just a crime boss' lackey. Cryotek's choice for your name was quite appropriate, despite all your ambition; you'll never be anything more than his student. Your name change is simply a case of a pathetic worm riding another bot's thunder."

"That's funny, coming from a member of an order DEVOTED to riding another bot's thunder." The black and purple Predacon retorted. "And I will be far more than Cryotek's tyro! Your precious Primal may have been resourceful and tenacious, but ultimately history will remember him merely as a setback on my road to godhood."

"So, galactic domination isn't grand enough for you anymore, you wish to be a deity." Grand chuckled as he turned back around to the view screen displaying the search party's progress. "Well keep wishing. The most that you can aspire to from now on is to spend eternity in confinement, and that's only if my team finds Primal, and doesn't run afoul of any traps doing so. Even then there's no guarantee that I won't just blast you out of sheer animosity."

"Oh that was simply pathetic. Even the most ill-tempered of Optimii comes across as a joke when attempting to talk tough." Tyrotron quipped. "Now shut up and tell that canine to keep his tail down. I don't need the camera on BattaLion revealing how anatomically correct Wolfang is!"

"Certainly you can do better than Cicadacon." Cryotek laughed at the adopted name of Line.

"I am not your protégé, I have no need for an awe-inspiring handle. I need only to hide as much about myself as possible while in the past so as to protect myself in the years to come should we fail in this endeavor." The winged member of the TriPredacus Council responded.

"I understand your motivation, I happen to like Sinker's choice of the name Sea Clamp. Even Hook's new moniker of Horn is better than the unimaginative Cicadacon." Cryotek replied. "But if it makes you happy, then who am I to stand in your way?"

"It makes me neither happy nor sad, it merely suffices." Cicadacon replied in annoyance. "Now if we are finished discussing my choice in name, the other Council members and I have some business to attend to." With that all three members of the Predacon governing council started across the ship to the lone escape shuttle.

Magmatron started toward them as their intention to board became clear. "Hold it! Where do you think you're going?"

"As my colleague informed you, we have business to attend to." Sea Clamp grumbled at the large Predacon. "It does not concern you, so simply stand silently until you are told to do something, criminal."

Magmatron angrily increased his pace. "Criminal? I am a warrior, the best of our species, and..." Cryotek's hand gripping the enraged Predacon's arm caused him to stop and look at the leader to which he was loyal.

"Let them go, Magmatron. I am certain that there are many matters to which the TriPredacus Council must attend to that we know nothing about." Cryotek gave Magmatron a sly grin before turning to the departing leaders. "Primus speed, my friends, but tread carefully. This ship may be undetectable to our ancestors' scanners, but that shuttle is not. We are not yet ready to make our presence known."

"Worry not, we will not be detected." Horn replied as he followed the other members of the Council into the shuttle and sealed the hatch behind him. The energy pressure shields activated, the docking clamps released and the launch hatch opened, releasing the shuttle into space far above Cybertron.

Once the hatch resealed and the energy shields deactivated, Cryotek turned to Magmatron with a broad smile across his face. "I had been planning on simply killing them, but this development suits my purposes just as well."

Magmatron displayed a confused look. "Sir?"

Cryotek started toward the front of the ship as he addressed Magmatron's confusion. "We allied ourselves with the TriPredacus Council for the sole purpose of gaining access to this ship. That has obviously been accomplished, and their further involvement in our affairs will only be an impediment."

A stocky Predacon [Beast Wars Neo Guiledart] called out to the happy crime lord. "Cryotek, what exactly is our agenda? You've been very sketchy with the details."

"And with good reason, my dear Guiledart. Though I trust each and every member of my crew, strict discretion is still very necessary when dealing with the TriPredacus Council. They have ways of finding things out." Cryotek replied. "But I suppose it is time to let you seven in on my plan." The criminal mastermind watched as his seven bot crew assembled before him. "Right now the Decepticon army has been routed, their leadership is in Autobot custody, and final defeat is only months away. Our agenda, my friends, is to change all that."

"I don't see him."

Tyrotron's voice angrily barked through BattaLion's wrist speaker in response to his observation. "Look harder! Obviously he isn't clearly visible, or Cryotek would have destroyed him, but this is where we landed after our battle, and the point where I last saw him."

BattaLion heard the familiar cocking of Grand's cannon through his speaker prior to the Maximal Commander's voice. "Keep looking. If you don't find anything in an hour, then say your final goodbyes to our guest and head on back home."

"Understood." BattaLion then nodded to Wolfang, who then proceeded to sniff the entire subterranean cavern that Tyrotron had led them to. "Are you detecting anything?"

The canine turned his head toward the Optimus and nodded. "Cryotek and several other Predacons were here, including Meg...I mean Tyrotron." The wolf continued sniffing, stopped, and without looking back continued speaking to BattaLion. "And there's something else. It's kind of like Primal's scent, but it's a little different."

"That fits. That kid went through bodies like you go through chew toys." BattaLion joked, his mood lightened by the possibility that Tyrotron was telling the truth about the missing Optimus' whereabouts. "Everybody spread out and inspect every inch of this chamber. But remain cautious, it's not unheard of for Cryotek to leave unpleasant surprises."

"YOU HAVE COME FOR HIM AT LAST." The soft but imposing feminine voice sounded throughout the chamber. The startled Maximals looked in every direction, but their optic finally settled on a curtain of vegetation that was being pulled open. BattaLion rushed forward as he saw a charred and battered frame laying face down on the floor. "HIS DESTINY IS NOT YET COMPLETE." BattaLion knelt next to the frame and rolled it over onto its back. "AID HIM IN COMPLETING HIS, AND FULFILL YOURS AS WELL. EXISTENCE IS IN PERIL, AND ONLY YOUR COMBINED EFFORT CAN PERSERVE IT."

"Primal, can you hear me?" BattaLion called out, ignoring what the voice was saying to him.

"How can you tell it's him?" Talon asked.

"He just can." Wolfang responded, knowing that BattaLion was too focused on his fellow Optimus to respond to the feathered Maximal.

"Come on, kid, wake up!" BattaLion pleaded with the youngest Maximal ever to become an Optimus. "Wake up!" Then BattaLion froze. Something had caught his optic, something that made him peer even more intently into the mangled face of the unmoving frame.

The exposed optic nerves slowly burned a soft red color, and though the outer structures of the mechanical eyes had been destroyed, it looked as though enough circuitry remained intact to allow for some vision. Several seconds passed before some slight hissing eminated from the melted vocal processors on the lower face, followed by a weak, but familiar voice. "Ba...BattaLion?"

"Welcome back, kid."

"Our sensors are detecting nothing, but we're definitely under attack!" The frantic Autobot called into the speaker mounted in front of him just a second before he, and the entire communications array he was stationed at, were obliterated as a missile came crashing through the wall and destroyed the small structure detached from the Maximum Security Detainment Center for the Criminally Insane. The numerous cannons mounted along the wall of the facility fired repeatedly, yet blindly into the air, but the assault from above continued on relentlessly.

Inside the stealth ship, eight Predacons prepared for the invasion. Cryotek watched eagerly as the Predacon craft eliminated the formidable exterior defenses and any Autobots that were foolish enough to leave the dwindling cover of the besieged facility. Even after all defensive capabilities had long since been eliminated; Cryotek continued to hammer away at the detainment center out of sheer enthusiasm. Finally, after growing tired of inflicting destruction from above, Cryotek turned to his troops and prepared them to overrun the interior of the facility. "The surviving Autobot security forces are undoubtedly moving to the exterior areas of the perimeter in preparation for our advance. We shall all enter the southern entrance. Magmatron, you will lead Sling [Beast Wars Neo Sling] and Bazooka [Best Wars Neo Bazooka] through the eastern perimeter. Guiledart, you will lead Ravenous, Saberback [Beast Wars Neo Saberback] and Headcase [Beast Wars Neo Hardhead] to the west. Destroy any living thing that you come across."

"Sir, will we be enough? There must be close to two dozen Autobots in there, and we are only eight?" Sling inquired.

"It will be more than enough!" Magmatron responded gruffly. "We are Predacon warriors, we have no equals!" A grimace came over the massive warlord's face. "Though it would have been nice to have had a ninth."

Cryotek gritted his teeth in annoyance. "I've already explained why I left her out of this. She just can't be trusted in anything even remotely involving Tyrotron."

A pained look came over Magmatron's sinister face at the mention of Tyrotron and his effect on the object of their discussion. "I wish he had remained lost."

"Our use of this ship was contingent upon his recovery. The TriPredacus Council was adamant that they be allowed to interrogate him." Cryotek replied.

"All they got out of him was where to find the scraps of Tarantulas." Bazooka chimed in.

"This is not the time for this discussion!" Cryotek angrily ended the talk of Tyrotron. "If you are clear on our objectives, then let's proceed!"

"Sir, I have a question pertaining to the mission at hand." Magmatron stepped forward. "You said to destroy every living thing we come across, but what of any potential assets that we run into?"

"There is only one asset that I'm interested here..." Cryotek replied. "And I will see to retrieving it." With that the crime lord headed to the rear of the ship, into the engine room, and returned a few moments later with the craft's transwarp cell. "Preadcons, prepare for battle!"

A stunned look came over Magmatron. "Sir, why are you taking the transwarp power cell? If it's damaged, we will be unable to return home."

Cryotek laughed out loud as he transformed to dragon mode, still clutching the cell in his talons. "There is no going home! We are not only changing the past, but we have become the past! If we were to succeed here and return to the future, we would be only a few of a race of conquerors. If we remain, we can shape our reality, utilize our technological superiority and knowledge of future events, and be gods!" The dragon flapped its wings and lifted as the bomb bay doors beneath opened. "And we must remain in this time so that in the vorns to come we can make sure that any changes we bring do not get in the way of our coming into existence, or that the Predacon utopia we create does not keep our future selves from growing too complacent to undertake this mission." Cryotek then dropped out of the ship. "There is NO going back, all bridges are to be burned!" The contingent of Predacon warriors eagerly followed Cryotek into battle.

The shuttle continued to make its way through the dark metal caverns on the way toward the center of Unicron's detached head, all which remained of the dark chaos bringer. While still a long way from the center, the ship slowed to a hovering position and finally set down in a large metal expanse. A few moments later, the three members of the TriPredacus Council exited the shuttle.

After walking several steps away from the craft, all three dropped to one knee, and Cicadacon announced their presence to the unseen. "My lord, we have come to assist you in any way."

Horn picked up from there. "We exist because of you, and to serve you."

Sea Clamp finished the proposal, his optics firmly downward in submission. "Just relay to us your wishes, and we shall see to it that they come to pass."

A few seconds passed before the ominous response came. "I RECOGNIZE MY HANDIWORK, THOUGH I HAVE NO KNOWLEDGE OF YOU."

"We are your spawn, my lord." Cicadacon replied to the booming voice. "Scan our memories and all will be answered."

"I SEE. THE NEAR FUTURE DOES NOT BODE WELL FOR ME."

"We have traveled through time to change that." Horn offered.

"WHY? I STILL EXIST IN YOUR TIME. PLANS ARE IN PLACE FOR MY RETURN TO GLORY, RESHAPING PRIOR EVENTS IS NOT NECESSARY."

"My lord,” Sea Clamp nervously responded. "The voice of Primus had revealed itself, and Primus himself had intervened in mortal events. We worried these events foreshadowed his re-emergence into our reality, and your power at that point in time will not be enough to defeat him."

"YOUR INTERPRETATION OF THE ORACLE'S SIGNIFICANCE IS HIGHLY SUSPECT. BUT NO MATTER, YOUR PRESENCE IN THIS TIME WILL SERVE ME WELL NONE THE LESS."

Horn spoke once again. "There is another. He is far away, and his chaos spark must be re-ignited, but he will ser..."

"WAIT! THE HERALD THAT IS NATIVE TO THIS TIME IS IN PERIL. ONE OF THE INTERLOPERS THAT YOU ARRIVED WITH WISHES TO CLAIM WHAT IS MINE."

The cries of dying Autobots could be heard coming from all directions, and Cryotek delighted in every glorious syllable that entered his audio processors. He himself had done his share of carnage as well. The walls of the hallways leading to the central containment sector of the facility were caked in ice, the frozen bodies of the Autobots that had tried to stop the advance of the blue dragon littered the floor, many of which with their extracted, and now fading sparks on the floor next to the lifeless frames.

Cryotek had proven to be unstoppable, and having eliminated all resistance to his advance, transformed to robot mode and casually walked to the center most, and most heavily reinforced, cell. Peering inside, he turned his head up and looked upon the maniacal face of the one whom he had come to see. The taller robot glared down at him and pulled against his extremely thick power bonds. "You're not Cyclonus!"

"And thank Primus for that." Cryotek laughed. "History depicts you as being very unkind to him, Galvatron." [no toy - yet]

"Who the slag are you, and why haven't you freed me yet?" The furious Decepticon Commander screamed at the newcomer.

Cryotek continued laughing. "I'm not here to free you; well, not your frame anyway." The blue criminal then reached for the panel next to the cell, retracted the energy bars, but increased the power to the bonds keeping Galvatron pinned to the wall. So significant was the increase in energy output, that it began causing the captive Decepticon a great deal of pain, a development that caused Cryotek to laugh harder. Putting the transwarp cell on the floor as he entered the small room that Galvatron had been confined to for the last several months, Cryotek made his way toward the historical figure and stopped inches in front of him. "You have something I want, old timer." With that, the dragonhead at the end of Cryotek's arm shot out and clamped upon the Decepticon's chest. A few seconds later the bestial head had pried the chest plate open and revealed the Decepticon's inner workings. "Yes, something I want very much."

4. peteynorth

Tech Specs

Autobots/Maximals

Name: Wolfang
    Toy: Galaxy Force Wolfang
    Function: Maximal Security Captain
    Intelligence: 8
    Speed: 4.5
    Reflexes: 8.5
    Endurance: 5
    Combat Skill: 8
    Height: 6'1" (pre-modified), 20'10" (modified)
    Weight: 1,250 lbs (pre-modified), 15,500 lbs (modified)

Name: Prowl
    Toy: Beast Wars Magnaboss Prowl
    Function: Optimus Cadet
    Strength: 4.5
    Reflexes: 9.1
    Endurance: 6.3
    Height: 5'2" (pre-modified), 16' (modified)
    Weight: 900 lbs (pre-modified), 11,000 lbs (modified)

Name: Ironhide
    Toy: Beast Wars MagnaBoss Ironhide
    Function: Maximal Security Agent
    Strength: 7.2
    Intelligence: 9.2
    Reflexes: 8.6
    Endurance: 8.8
    Function Skill: 7
    Height: 6'10" (pre-modified), 20' (modified)
    Weight: 2,000 lbs (pre-modified), 20,000 lbs (modified)

Name: Talon
    Toy: Beast Wars MagnaBoss Silverbolt
    Function: Maximal Aerial Security
    Strength: 3.8
    Reflexes: 9.7
    Endurance: 5.5
    Firepower: 7.5
    Combat Skill: 9.1
    Function Skill: 7.2
    Height: 5'5" (pre-modified), 16' (modified)
    Weight: 850 lbs (pre-modified), 10,500 lbs (modified)

Decepticons/Predacons

Name: Guiledart
    Toy: Beast Wars Neo Guiledart
    Function: Squad Leader
    Intelligence: 5
    Reflexes: 4
    Firepower: 6
    Combat Skill: 6
    Height: 20'
    Weight: 17,000 lbs

Name: Saberback
    Toy: Beast Wars Neo Saberback
    Function: Warrior
    Strength: 5.5
    Intelligence: 7
    Reflexes: 6
    Endurance: 7.5
    Height: 20'9"

Name: Headcase
    Toy: Beast Wars Neo Hardhead
    Strength: 5.2
    Intelligence: 3.5
    Speed: 3.5
    Reflexes: 5
    Height: 20'10"
    Weight: 15,500 lbs

Name: Sling
    Toy: Beast Wars Neo Sling
    Strength: 3.5
    Intelligence: 5
    Speed: 1.5
    Reflexes: 6
    Courage: 5
    Combat Skill: 6
    Function Skill: 6
    Weight: 11,000 lbs

Name: Bazooka
    Toy: Beast Wars Neo Bazooka
    Strength: 4
    Intelligence: 6
    Speed: 1.2
    Reflexes: 4
    Combat Skill: 7.7
    Function Skill: 7.5
    Weight: 11,500 lbs

5. peteynorth

Part 3: Self Improvement

"Get him to the infirmary!" BattaLion instructed as he handed Primal's unrecognizable frame to several technicians upon entering the main control room of the Maximal Ministry of Defense with his search team.

"You're all going to the infirmary." Optimus Grand announced to his returning friend. "You've all volunteered in absentia to undertake a mission, one that will require some modifications to your frames."

Wolfang chuckled as he approached the imposing Optimus. "I do a lot of volunteering in absentia whenever you Optimii get involved." The Security Captain reached out and shook Grand's hand. "It's good to see you again, sir."

"Likewise Captain." Grand replied. "And I figured that you'd be up for a little action for once. I know you Security guys are longing for some of that real work that we Optimii always get stuck doing."

"Very funny, and here BattaLion keeps trying to convince me that you have no sense of humor." Wolfang smiled briefly before taking on a serious demeanor. "So tell me about this mission, and the modifications we'll be getting."

Grand nodded. "I'm sure BattaLion has filled you in on the size increase of the Predacon fugitives, including Tyrotron."

"Yeah, though I'm still trying to get used to using his real name." Wolfang replied as BattaLion, Prowl, Ironhide and Talon approached and stood next to him. "So because of a few Pred criminals, we're going to wipe away vorns worth of evolution and lumber around like our giant ancestors, is that it?"

"Yes, though the size enhancement technology we found in Cryotek's lair will allow you to retain the ability to convert organic material to usable energy, and in beast mode you should still be able to evade the sensors of our ancestors." Grand mentioned.

"Obviously you plan to send us back to fight the Preds, so can I assume you've been able to locate where, and when, they went." BattaLion asked.

Grand nodded and started toward a wall with several screens on them, each with data and various graphs displayed on them. "We believe so. Once your modifications are complete, you and Primal will lead two teams to apprehend the criminals and undo whatever they have done."

BattaLion cocked his head. "Don't you think the kid has earned some down time?"

"He's definitely earned it, but we can't afford to give it to him. As soon as he's in his modified body and able to perform, he'll be on his way." Noting the disapproving look in his subordinate's optics, Grand defended his position. "Look BattaLion, do you know of anyone else with as much temporal preservation experience?"

BattaLion shook his head. "I see your point. So how far back are we going?"

"The tech boys have discovered what they believe to be a significant historical irregularity occurring in 2007, so that's where you'll probably land."

BattaLion nodded. "Ah, shortly before San Francisco. So there's a good chance they're on Earth."

"Perhaps Earth is in their game plan, but the event in question occurred on Cybertron." Grand replied. "That event being the destruction of a high security asylum and apparent rebirth of Galvatron. Some historical texts record it, some don't, some of us remember learning of it, and others do not. Scientists usually shy away from using the term 'definite', but they're now saying that this is a definite temporal fluctuation. They are monitoring the time stream equipment now, and have already found several ripples emerging from that point in chronology."

"Excuse me Optimus, but why have us land in 2007 if that's when history seems to fluctuate? Why not 2005 or 2006 so that we can prepare and take the Preds down as soon as they emerge in 2007? It would be far more proactive." Wolfang asked.

"Doesn't work that way." BattaLion answered. "We tried to preempt the Beast Wars, but wound up landing a few years after its conclusion. We know the Predacons ran into the same problem when they launched Ravage toward the origin of the transwarp explosion that destroyed Primal's original body, but he arrived many months after that point."

Grand interrupted his fellow Optimus. "Some of the eggheads at the Ministry of Science have a theory regarding that. They refer to it as 'time-linking', and basically they're guessing that there's some sort of bond between beings existing in roughly the same point in time. If one being from future point 'X' goes back to past point 'Y', and it takes a second being from the same origin time 10 years to figure out a way to follow him through time, the second being won't arrive at point 'Y', but will be pulled by this bond to the similarly aged first being to past point 'Y plus ten'. Or at least that's their best guess at this point. They're currently working on a way to mask or eliminate this bond, but when dealing with time travel one must tread very carefully. Until they figure it out, the best we can do is send you back to their point of emergence plus..." Grand accessed his internal chronometer before finishing "eighteen hours, seven minutes, forty-three seconds. And that's if you were to launch right now, it'll be several more hours before we're even close to having your modifications completed."

"Sir!" A slender technician called out. "The ripples are becoming stronger. There will be some serious alterations to existence if allowed to reach us."

Grand looked to him and nodded his understanding before once again addressing BattaLion, Wolfang and the others. "Well, grow up already, we don't have time to waste. Primal's team is already being modified, so you guys have some catching up to do."

"Whom does Primal's team consist of?" BattaLion asked.

"Just some other experienced time travelers who volunteered in absentia, despite the protests of a couple of them when notified of their volunteering." Grand chuckled. "Even with the promise of Primal's return, the rat is still not very accepting of this 'conscription' as he calls it. Now get going!"

With that the five Maximals turned and started out of the control room. As they made their way out, Prowl turned to BattaLion. "What's San Francisco?"

"You'll learn of it over the course of your training, but for now, let's just say that it was the final straw." BattaLion replied.

The purple frame hung limply from the energy bonds that still bound it to metal wall, but in front of it another frame lifted off of the ground to its feet [Beast Wars Second Galvatron]. A crazed smile came over Cryotek's new face as he took in his astoundingly powerful new body. "Magnificent!" Looking at the empty spark chamber within Galvatron's chest, the spark-snatcher's smile became more controlled, but remained cruel. Cryotek then turned around and lifted the transwarp cell, which seemed significantly smaller in this new, larger frame, and began powering it up to dangerous levels. Upon being convinced that an overload would occur, the Predacon crime lord slammed it into the formerly empty spark chamber of the lifeless Galvatron. "Every bridge burnt."

Cryotek turned and exited the cell, and after taking a couple of steps down the still ice-filled hallway, transformed into a drill tank and began boring through the inner walls of the facility, all while the screams of the last Autobots to die filled the air.

“Me Grimlock calling detainment facility, what status?” The Dinobot Commander [No toy - yet] listened silently for several seconds for some sort of response. After nothing came through, Grimlock switched frequencies and sent a message to Autobot Command in Iacon. “Me Grimlock calling Autobot H.Q. Me Grimlock report earlier about receiving message that asylum holding Galvatron under attack. No further communication come after initial message. Me Grimlock several minutes out; will take care of attack when me Grimlock get there.”

“Understood.” The voice of an Autobot unknown to the Dinobot replied. “Is your team present with you?”

“No, me Grimlock alone…sort of.” The Dinobot turned toward the floor of the shuttlecraft he was piloting and looked at a chunk of metal with four slender, molten and unrecognizable limbs jutting from it.

“Sir, I’ve been instructed to tell you to wait for back-up.” The voice replied. “If the force attacking the detainment facility is enough to overrun it, you on your own you probably won’t stand a chance against it.”

“Yeah, me Grimlock wait here with thumb up exhaust port until you guys arrive.” With that, Grimlock switched the communicator off. Chance, as it so happened, seemed to be on Grimlocks side for the last several days.

It had been months since Grimlock had been involved in any real action. The Decepticons were beaten, and all that was left was rounding up the last of their demoralized troops and confiscating what remained of their assets. One of these assets happened to be the Nemesis, which even without the Heart of Cybertron to power it still presented a potential danger to the Autobots. But while Grimlock agreed that evaluating the ship and neutralizing any further threat that it possessed was important, he was infuriated when Optimus Prime had ordered the Dinobots to perform this menial task. But Grimlock eventually acquiesced, even he was too grateful to have Prime back from the dead to refuse the revived leader, for now anyway.

But upon investigating the heavily damaged bridge of the ship, Swoop had come across a chunk of molten metal that vaguely resembled a tiny, humanoid-shaped frame melted to the wall. After prying it off, the winged Dinobot was surprised to see that it was in fact a long-dead frame, a frame that consisted of a metal possessing undocumented characteristics. Swoop had proposed that perhaps it was another one of Soundwave's tape warriors that had remained on the Nemesis to keep it from crashing, but failed in its task. It was roughly the correct size and shape, after all.

But Grimlock had doubts about that possibility. The exceptional properties of the metal that this frame possessed would have made it more of an asset in battle than even Ravage, the most formidable of Soundwave's mini warriors, and would most likely have been used in the raid on the Ark. But as Grimlock was pondering this issue, Swoop painstakingly cut open the mysterious remains and discovered another trait of this destroyed frame, one that was far more surprising than anything the metal had to offer. Despite having all internal circuitry destroyed, and having been without any energon for countless eons, this seemingly lifeless frame possessed a viable spark.

With the exception of some rumors regarding Starscream, there was nothing that even remotely resembled a precedent for this in Cybertronian science. Leaving the Nemesis to the other Dinobots, Grimlock brought this artifact to be studied by more qualified Autobots. Perceptor was baffled, Skyfire was baffled, and even Computron was baffled. Having let the so-called geniuses fruitlessly have a crack at the frame, Grimlock decided to go right to the source. While hopelessly insane, Galvatron still possessed Megatron's memories somewhere in that scattered head of his. He certainly would be able to shed some light on this mystery, but though able, it would be unlikely for him to be willing. Grimlock looked forward to breaking the captured Decepticon Commander with his own style of interrogation.

So Grimlock had been on his way to the asylum housing Galvatron when he had gotten word of it being under attack. Grimlock had received the message, which had been cut off after only a few seconds of being transmitted, nearly twenty minutes ago. But due to the fact that the Autobots had chosen to hold the powerful leader in a region that was far from any populated areas, Grimlock was the only possible back up for the facility in the area, and would be for quite some time.

Just as the Dinobot Commander wanted it. He had been thirsting for action for months, and now it appeared that chance would grant his wish. Or perhaps not, the brilliant flash emanating from the facility’s position caught Grimlock completely off guard. The mushroom cloud forming above it confirmed his fears. “Oh scrap.” Grimlock immediately piloted the craft toward the opposite direction, but he knew there would be no avoiding the blast. The Dinobot turned and looked once again to the frame on the floor. Whatever it was, it was almost certainly a Decepticon. Almost certainly, but there was still some room for doubt. Never the less, Grimlock was fighting the war to win, not to protect those that needed protecting. Grimlock kept repeating that thought in his head as he climbed out of his seat, lifted the frame, clutched it to his chest, and put himself between it and the blast. Slag Prime and his infernal influence.

"BIGBOT!" Cheetor's [Transmetal Cheetor] excited cry caused all to turn and look at the figure [RobotMasters Beast Convoy] gingerly making its way into the launch bay, where nine size-enhanced Maximal operatives and another six regular-sized technicians were gathered near three transwarp ships, each roughly one fifth the size of the Axalon. Primal smiled and slowly waved at those that were currently greeting him.

"In the fur, so to speak." Rat Trap [Transmetal Rattrap] chirped. "They must’ve combed the cosmos to find all the pieces of your original gorilla suit, eh Boss Monkey?"

Primal laughed. "I'd say they let the suit out a little." The revived Maximal captain replied regarding his new, nineteen foot, two inch stature before looking to the last of the surviving Maximal Beast Wars veterans, Black Arachnia and Silverbolt [Transmetal 2 Black Arachnia and Fuzor Silverbolt]. "Looks like they let it out for all of us. I thought my new size was impressive, but most of you are even larger."

"Ehh, Silverbolt must like his women tall." Rattrap joked as he looked up at the twenty-four foot tall Black Arachnia standing next to Silverbolt, who was a couple inches under twenty-one feet.

BattaLion approached the leader of the other team of time jumpers. "Some of the upgrades our frames got when becoming Optimii made our anatomy more complex than those of other Maximals, and therefore we're a tad smaller than Wolfang, Cheetor, Black Arachnia, Silverbolt and most likely several of Grand's team, once he selects and resizes them. The tech boys are working on a way to compensate for these complications, but we just didn't have time to wait for them to solve this problem."

Heavy footsteps immediately followed BattaLion's statement, and a moment later a twenty-nine foot, seven inch Optimus Grand entered the room. "Problem solved." He nodded to Primal. "Nice to see you up and about."

"Glad to be counted among the living once again, sir." Primal replied. "And looking forward to doing my part for Cybertron."

"You and your team have already gone far beyond doing your part," Grand responded "but as long as you're willing to help out again, please board your ship and launch. It's critical that both teams get back as quickly as possible so that they can minimize the changes to the time stream long enough for the lab-rats, no offense Rattrap, to find a way around the whole time-linking thing. Your team will arrive in 2007 in Cybertronian orbit, while BattaLion's team will land at the same time in Earth's system. Once our scientists have figured out how to negate whatever causes the time-link, I'll lead a team back to a point a few years before any changes implemented by the Predacons occur, prepare for their arrival, and take them out as soon as they pop through."

"Understood, sir." Primal said as he followed his team aboard the transwarp craft that would be leading them back to Cybertron's past. Just before entering, the revived Maximal looked to BattaLion as he entered his ship. "Good luck BattaLion, and enjoy Earth in the moments that you can."

BattaLion nodded just as the door to his ship sealed shut. Grand watched Primal's door close and whispered to the both of them. "Primus speed my friends. Existence is in your hands."

"And that's when Wazzzpinator have what is called epiphany." The six-foot Predacon [original Beast Wars Waspinator] taunted the prisoner in the cell next to his, a prisoner who was more than three times his height. "Wazzzpinator realize that universe not hate Wazzzpinator, Megatron hate Wazzzpinator. Megatron reason Wazzzpinator get blown up all the time."

"Oh do shut up Waspinator." Megatron growled in annoyance.

The almost giddy Waspinator ignored his former leader's request and continued as if Megatron had not said anything at all. "So now Wazzzpinator tell Tooth-hand exactly what Wazzzpinator tell Antbot and Two-head; plant big wet juicy one right on Waspinator' s big... fat... stripey..." BOOOOM! Not again, thought the green and yellow Predacon, but as he realized that his frame had remained cohesive for once, he noted where the blast had come from.

The thick dust in the air obscured the vision of the prisoners for a moment, but the form of an odd, bird-like creature soon became visible [Beast Wars Neo Archadis]. The large creature transformed into a slender, twenty-foot Femme and landed in front of Tyrotron's cell. "Hello my love."

"Why Air Raptor my sweet, you look more ravishing than ever." Tyrotron charmingly greeted the Femme. "And certainly more deadly. Your new frame suits you, yes."

Though scuttled and destroyed, the shuttled had not been completely obliterated, and one fairly large chunk of the cockpit had remained in one piece. Magmatron allowed himself a brief moment of hope before acknowledging the fact that while the hull of this section had held together for the most part, no living thing could have survived the effects of a transwarp explosion this close to the blast. Not unless a frame had already been transmetalized, and that technology would not exist until centuries in the future, or eons in the past depending on how you looked at it.

After the raid on the asylum, the Predacons had returned to their stealth ship and taken it to a safe distance from the impending blast, and then scanned all frequencies to see if any Autobot back up was en-route. They hadn't planned on any due to the remoteness of the facility, but they had detected that a lone shuttle was on its way. When Magmatron heard who was piloting the shuttle, he immediately wanted to intercept and engage the Autobot in battle. Unfortunately it was too late at that point, the explosion had occurred and the craft was doomed.

But though a battle with the legendary Dinobot Commander was impossible, Magmatron still wanted a trophy. Both of Grimlock's heads mounted on the wall of his quarters would make him the envy of Predacons everywhere. Cryotek, or Galvatron as he insisted he be called as long as they were in this era, had initially been reluctant to allow Magmatron to collect his prizes, but the reconfigured criminal mastermind finally acquiesced. After all, Magmatron had always proven to be his most loyal operative. Even after being neglected by Cryotek in favor of the deceitful young Tyrotron, Magmatron had still obeyed Cryotek's every whim. The crime lord decided that his powerful field commander deserved these trophies.

So the craft had lowered to let Magmatron jump out and claim whatever remained of Grimlock's corpse. The massive Predacon reached the ship, wedged his fingers between gashes in the outer hull, and prepared to tear it open. But at that instant a force from within the craft burst through the hull with such intensity that Magmatron was tossed back a couple dozen feet. The Predacon quickly got his bearings, jumped to his feet with his sword drawn, and looked to the form that had emerged from the wreck.

An ominous, powerfully built, thirty-six and a half foot robot stood in the hole that it had torn into the remains of the cockpit. The unknown robot [Galaxy Force Flame Convoy] stepped out from the hole, away from the wrecked craft, and started toward Magmatron with a massive battle-axe in his hands. Magmatron brought his sword back into a striking position and called out to the robot. "Just who the slag are you?"

A smile came to the fang-bearing face. "No, not Slag. Me..." a look of deep thought came over the robot's face as he paused. "No, I. I am Grimlock." The smile returned to Grimlock's new face. "And you are Magmatron."

Magmatron was stunned. "What? You're not Grimlock, and how did you know my name?" The Predacon shouted at the new form, which possessed the head of some fearsome looking beast on its chest and long, sharp horns coming out of its shoulders.

Grimlock's became confused as he contemplated the question. "I...I don't know how, but I have some recollection of you." Grimlock then looked down at his new frame. "There are many things going on now that I don't understand." The Dinobot Commander then looked up and grinned at Magmatron. "But the desire to beat you to a bloody and oily pulp is crystal clear."

"You know, I hear that the way things are going with the scientists, it'll be several years before they have the slightest clue about how to negate this time-linking effect." The gray and red Maximal technician said to his friend as they were maintaining the last of the transwarp ships in the hangar that Primal and BattaLion's teams had launched from not that long ago.

"Yeah, I heard the same thing." The green and blue technician replied as he finished sealing an access panel underneath the ship. "But I guess as long as Primal and BattaLion can keep the Predacons from screwing up the timeline beyond repair, it really doesn't matter. Even if it takes a thousand vorns, as long as we find a way to counter the time-link and go back to before Cryotek pops out, all danger will be avert...” Loud footsteps coming from the hallway outside caused the technician to stop speaking. "Sounds like Optimus Grand is coming back."

"Naw, not heavy enough to be Grand. Perhaps some of his team has been upgraded already." The other technician's response was immediately followed by startled voices and weapon's fire out in the hallway. Two thuds that sounded as though caused by standard modern-era frames hitting the ground could be heard, followed shortly by the whisk of the door opening.

The heavy footsteps came into the room and closer to the craft. The two petrified technicians looked at each other and then slowly turned their heads toward the noise. There, standing in front of the ship were three pairs of enlarged feet, one pair a slender set of talons, another set yellow, and the third pair purple with three claw-bearing toes on each foot. The owner of the purple feet bent over and lowered his head to look under the craft at the technicians. The fears of the Maximals were confirmed as Megatron smiled at them. "Why, hello. You don't mind if we borrow your ship, do you?"

6. peteynorth

Autobots/Maximals

Name: Grimlock
    Toy: Galaxy Force Flame Convoy
    Function: Field General/Dinobot Commander
    Strength: 10
    Endurance: 10
    Combat Skill: 9.8
    Function Skill: 9
    Height: 36' 7"
    Weight: 35,000 lbs

Name: Optimus Primal
    Toy: RobotMasters Beast Convoy
    Function: Maximal Field General
    Strength: 7
    Firepower: 9
    Height: 19' 2"

Name: Cheetor
    Toy: Transmetal Cheetor
    Function: Reconnaissance
    Strength: 4.5
    Intelligence: 7.2
    Speed: 9
    Endurance: 4.5
    Combat Skill: 7.5
    Height: 20' 9.5"
    Weight: 15,250 lbs

Name: Rat Trap
    Toy: Transmetal Rat Trap
    Function: Reconnaissance/Infiltration
    Strength: 4
    Intelligence: 8.6
    Speed: 6
    Height: 20' 9"
    Weight: 14,500 lbs

Name: Skybolt (formerly Silverbolt - Beast Wars)
    Toy: Fuzor Silverbolt
    Strength: 5.7
    Intelligence: 6
    Reflexes: 8
    Endurance: 7
    Function Skill: 6
    Height: 20' 10"

Name: Black Arachnia
    Toy: Transmetal 2 Black Arachnia
    Function: Infiltration
    Endurance: 3
    Firepower: 6
    Height: 24'
    Weight: 14,000 lbs

Decepticons/Predacons

Name: Cryotek, A.K.A. Galvatron
    Toy: Beast Wars 2 Galvatron
    Function: Predacon Commander
    Strength: 10
    Endurance: 10
    Height: 29' 8"
    Weight: 32,000 lbs

Name: Air Raptor
    Toy: Beast Wars Neo Archadis
    Function: Infiltration
    Strength: 3
    Intelligence: 8.3
    Endurance: 2
    Height: 20' 8"
    Weight: 12,500 lbs

Name: Waspinator
    Toy: Beast Wars original Waspinator
    Strength: 4.3
    Intelligence: 3.7
    Speed: 6.7
    Endurance: 2
    Height: 20' 9"
    Weight: 14,750 lbs

7. peteynorth

Part 4: Never Wound What You Can’t Kill - Section 1 (apparently this chapter is too big for a single post)

Magmatron lunged forward, his sword coming down in an overhead strike toward the larger opponent, but the sword was merely a diversion from his true assault. The three dinosaur heads mounted on his body all came to life and lashed out at this newcomer who had the audacity to call himself Grimlock, one of the few Autobots to hold the respect of Predacon warriors.

The suddenly animated beast heads did not surprise the reconfigured Dinobot Commander, and as he raised his axe to block the sword strike, the dragonhead on his chest lanced forward and took the pterodactyl head into its massive jaws. "A blunt, forced attack!" Grimlock growled as he effectively neutralized two of the strikes, and stoically endured the pain of the jaws of the gigantosaurus and the plesiosaur cutting into either side of his massive chest. He only needed to endure that pain for a moment, as in a flash a pair of smaller dragonheads snapped out from his shoulders and bit into the remaining dinosaur heads. "Too reliant are you on your raw power. You're unaccustomed to facing an opponent that is not just your physical equal, but your superior." Magmatron's optics widened in surprise at this development, but could not dwell on the two new heads for very long as Grimlock was suddenly jerking back and utilizing the grip his dragonheads had on the Predacon, tossed the smaller warrior back over his head.

Magmatron hit the ground hard, but immediately rolled over and scrambled to his feet. Blood, oil and other mech fluid leaked from each of his three dinosaur heads, but he ignored the injuries as he glared up at his opponent. His look of hatred was slowly replaced by one of confusion, and then one of slight recognition. This 'Grimlock' was displaying a grin, one that looked all too familiar to Magmatron. "Of course." The Predacon warrior began circling around his enemy, a smile of his own coming to his face. "There is only one way for you to know me, and only one way for you to be familiar with Predakato, a fighting form which won't even exist for another two vorns." Magmatron chuckled and he swung his sword at the hulking robot. "You may have once been Grimlock, but you are something else now."

Grimlock easily blocked the attack with his battle-axe as he replied with an odd mixture of both sarcasm and sincerity. "Please enlighten me."

"Yes, I suppose you wouldn't be aware of what has happened, would you?" Magmatron mocked as he launched a barrage of powerful swings and thrusts with his sword in conjunction with clubbing strikes from the shield mounted on his left arm, each attack blocked or parried with relative ease by Grimlock. "Residual spark memories can be a tricky thing."

"Bah, I’ve no time for you to recite me the discarded theories of ancient alchemists!" Grimlock growled as he reached out and grabbed Magmatron's blade with his left hand, oil and mech fluid rolling down the gray metal toward the hilt as it cut into his hand. “My only interest here is battle!” Grimlock’s axe-wielding right hand swatted the shield out of the way before shooting out with tremendous power and slamming into the Predacon's face. Magmatron was sent hurtling back through the air and hit the ground fifty feet away. Grimlock, still holding Magmatron's blade, tossed it to the ground between them. "You are outmatched. Beating on you, while providing enjoyment, would be without honor. Give up this futile struggle, answer my questions, and you will be treated with the dignity due a prisoner of war."

Spitting a string of mech fluid from his dented mouth, Magmatron sneered up at the massive warrior. "It is you, isn't it?" The Predacon gingerly climbed to his feet. “I had thought that I had heard the last of your pathetic recitals of the importance of honor. I see now that my thanks to Primus were undeserved.”

"I'm unaware of who you think him to be..." The two warriors looked up to see a metal dragon emerging from seeming nothingness. "But it is unlike the legendary Grimlock to refrain from beating on a lesser opponent." The comment was immediately followed by an icy blast from the dragon's mouth.

The blast impacted against the restructured Dinobot Commander, encasing his torso and limbs in a block of solid ice. Magmatron glared up at Cryotek. "I am NOT the lesser opponent!" His indignant expression was quickly replaced by a smile. "Though your intervention is welcome."

"Raaarrrrrrr!" Grimlock's roar was followed by the sound of shattering ice as his powerful body forced itself free of the frozen prison.

The dragon lowered to the ground, and responded to the impressive display of strength by unloading on the Dinobot with the gattling guns mounted on its knees. Explosive rounds tore into Grimlock's chest, sending him falling back. "That's enough out of you, whatever you are."

Though clearly damaged by the barrage, Grimlock quickly got to his feet and faced down his new assailant. "I was hoping for more of a challenge that the one posed by Magmatron. So who is it that dares to oppose me now?"

The dragon transformed to robot form, a maniacal grin etched on Cryotek's face. "Surely you recognize Galvatron, leader of the Decepticons?" A pair of hand axes shot into the air from Cryotek’s upper forearms, and was caught by the Predacon criminal as they started descending. "You weren't the only one reborn today, Dinobot."

The two Predacons slowly advanced on the Dinobot, Magmatron stooping down to retrieve his sword as they made their way forward. The saurian Predacon looked to his leader and displayed a confused smile. "You figured it out too?"

"What are you talking about?" Cryotek responded, but was unable to wait for the response as Grimlock growled and charged them.

"Our offering is meager, my lord, but detection could be catastrophic, so we dare not attack a larger energon cache." Cicadacon expressed as he presented a pallet of energon cubes to his dark creator on bended knee.

"We pray that this will help speed your recovery to some extent." Sea Clamp followed as he too pushed forward an energon cube filled pallet.

"In time, we will provide you infinitely more so that you will once again spread chaos and destruction throughout existence." Horn said as he too presented his offering of a pallet of energon.

"Ahh, such devotion is truly an impressive sight." The TriPredacus Council members all turned around in unison at the voice that had come from the entrance to the large chamber they were in. "Though I personally have never been much on religion; at least any religion that didn't involve my being the object of worship." Tyrotron laughed as he entered, followed by Air Raptor and Waspinator.

"Megatron!" Cicadacon growled as he and the others got to their feet and started toward the uninvited guests. "Gloat at your discovery if you will, but realize that you will not live long enough to share it with anyone else."

"Oh my dear General Line, I am not here to suppress your freedom of religion in any way. And I am well aware that Unicron is still alive, and am not foolish enough to pick a fight with his spawn while inside of him." Tyrotron smiled. "I am merely here to offer my services."

"You are of no use to us, pretender!" Horn yelled out as he drew his dual-bladed weapon.

"Mmmmmm, Beetle-bot stay back, or Wazzzpinator blast Beetle-bot and friends to the pit!" The winged Predacon took to the air and pointed his hand rifle at Horn.

"ENOUGH!"

All of the Predacons immediately stared around the room in fear and awe at the sound of Unicron's voice. Sea Clamp dropped to his knee and bowed his head. "My lord, we apologize that you're sacred body has been tainted by the presence of these Primus-spawns. We will eliminate them momentarily and dispose of their frames."

"NO." The voice replied. "YOUR OFFERINGS THUS FAR HAVE BEEN PATHETIC. THESE CREATURES HAVE OFFERED YOU THEIR ASSISTANCE, ASSISTANCE THAT YOU CLEARLY NEED. ASSISTANCE THAT YOU WILL ACCEPT!"

Cicadacon bowed his head as well. "As you wish, my lord." The Predacon General reluctantly turned to Tyrotron and nodded. "What can you possibly offer us?"

Tyrotron smiled broadly as he stepped forward. "By this era, most, if not all, of the energon seeded on Earth has either been destroyed, is on the ocean floor, or is covered by billions of tons of rock and dirt. That is, of course, excluding the various stashes that I hid over the course of the Beast Wars, stashes that going by the omissions in the history books, have yet to be discovered." The Predacon looked around the enormous room, as if to address Unicron. "Granted, the majority of it is still raw, but I would think that Unicron's circuitry is somewhat more robust than our own."

"Not a bad suggestion, and I can assume that you have a transwarp craft that we can use to get to Earth?" Sea Clamp asked.

"You didn't think that I clicked my scaly feet together, reciting 'There's no time like 2007', did you?" Tyrotron smirked. "Of course I have a transwarp ship, but if you don't mind me asking, what happened to your stealth craft?"

"Your old boss seems to have taken it to serve his own purposes." Cicadacon muttered angrily.

"Ah, of course he did." Tyrotron laughed. "Why, I even know what he's been up to with it. You see, before our launch from the future I took the opportunity to browse some data that the Maximals had put together regarding historical irregularities, and became aware of the temporal deviation involving Galvatron's jailbreak, as well as some questionable historical references to his bearing a new form. But what stood out to me most were cases of him freezing enemies as opposed to simply blasting them to atoms, as he was wont to do prior to 2007." The black and purple Predacon snickered. "Though he would never admit it, it appears that my dear old mentor has pulled a page out of my playbook." The grin disappeared as he turned and looked to Air Raptor, muttering to her in a loud whisper. "And he dares to refer to me as HIS tyro."

"Patience my love, soon the universe will be well aware of your true greatness." Air Raptor quietly reassured Tyrotron.

"You have told us nothing that we don't already know." Horn announced. "I will honor Unicron's command, but I remain unconvinced of your usefulness. We can simply take your ship, and even without the locations of your energon, the fossil fuels that the Earth offers should yield significant energon after conversion. With your ship, we are fully capable of obtaining sufficient energon for Unicron, as well as reigning in Cryotek and putting an end to his personal schemes."

Tyrotron turned and glared directly at the Council member. "In his size-enhanced, dual-spark powered, transmetal form there is virtually nothing capable of reigning him in. Certainly not you three insects."

"Mmmmm, Claw-hands not insect, Claw-hands a crustacean." Waspinator pointed out, taking Tyrotron's insult literally.

"Shut up, twit." Tyrotron growled at Waspinator before returning his attention to the TriPredacus Council. "Nobody knows Cryotek better than Air Raptor and I, and only I am capable of determining his moves before even he does." The glare shifted to a pleasant smile. "Plus, only those in the head of this chaos god are aware that I have traveled through time, My old mentor is completely ignorant to the fact that I will be hunting him." Tyrotron folded his arms and took on an arrogant air. "You will need every advantage in apprehending him, and there is no greater advantage in that task than having me on your side."

Cicadacon stepped toward the increasingly valuable Predacon. "And what is in this for you, Megatron?"

"As I mentioned earlier, Cryotek's actions are taken out of MY playbook." Tyrotron became very stern. "Once we apprehend him, I want the spark of Galvatron."

"IT IS MINE." Unicron's voice boomed throughout the chamber.

"And you shall have it, yes." Tyrotron replied without displaying any sign of intimidation. "I merely wish to...use it first."

"SO BE IT."

"Great, then let's get started." Horn muttered. "Get your ship ready for transwarp launch to Earth."

"I think not." Tyrotron replied. "I fear the repercussions of Cryotek's little rampage on Cybertron. I think that his apprehension must be the priority."

Horn looked to Cicadacon, and then both looked to Sea Clamp. Cicadacon then turned to Tyrotron. "Agreed. The last thing we need is for him to stir up enough trouble that the Autobots begin poking their noses everywhere." The winged Predacon then began laughing as well. "Besides, we already have an agent on Earth that can prepare our initial stockpiles for us," the winged Predacon looked up and raised his voice. "All he needs is a little divine jump start."

Tyrotron smiled and chuckled lightly. "Yesss, and while his chaotic eminence is at it, might I suggest slapping the jumper cables on one other pile of scrap? Though, it would be advisable to include some manner of leash on this one."

"In case there were any doubts, which you'd have to be crazy to have had," Rat Trap quipped as he peered at the screen on the scanner in his hand "Let me put them to rest by confirming that this blast was indeed caused by a transwarp cell explosion. A relatively tiny one, but this was definitely caused by a device that won’t exist for another century."

"Prime." Primal muttered. "So this was definitely Cryotek's work."

"Hey Bigbot, how much longer can we stay around here?" Cheetor asked as he made his way through the charred ruins. "I mean the Autobots have to be getting here soon."

"Agreed." Primal nodded as he raised his wrist communicator to his mouth. "Bolt, are you certain that the Autobots haven't reached our warning distance?"

"Negative Optimus." The fuzor's voice replied through the communicator. He had remained on the transwarp ship to scan for anyone approaching their position, be they ancestor or foe. "I intercepted the order for seven shuttles to launch, and the confirmation of those launches, but they still have yet to reach the point at which we would need to evacuate the area."

Primal shook his head in worry. "Were you privy to what type of craft they were flying, and if so, could you please look up their capabilities and determine when they should arrive?” The Maximal rubbed his chin but spoke again as something came to mind. “Oh, and please refer to me simply as Primal while in this era. What is a title in the future is a personal name in this era."

"Sheesh, you'd think having his own handle modified would make him more sensitive to the name thing." Rat Trap mumbled.

Primal sent the small Maximal a look of annoyance as Bolt's reply came through. "My apologies sir, and I’ve already done the calculations. According to my estimates, they should have arrived at this position already, much less our warning distance. I've tried tracking the incoming Autobot craft, but it seems that they've just disappeared."

Primal's optics grew wide. "Slag! Maximals, into the ship!"

"Well find them." Optimus Prime [no toy - yet] ordered Eject [no toy - yet], who was manning the sensor array in the Iaconian command center. The center, which was positioned on the top floor of the Iacon capital tower with a glorious view of the city-state, had seen virtually no traffic in the last few months. The war was all but over, and the coordinating of large-scale attacks had been unnecessary. So unimportant had the center become, that the staff had been reduced to only one Autobot per shift. Optimus Prime and Ultra Magnus had been the first visitors that Eject had had in weeks.

"They're not responding to any of my hails, sir." The small Autobot replied as he switched screens. After a quick scan of the data, Eject turned around and looked at Prime sadly. "Sir, all seven ships have been benched, four of which appear to have been sent to the showers."

Prime turned and looked to his closest remaining friend. "Your thoughts, Magnus?"

The hulking Autobot [no toy - yet] intently peered at Prime as he responded. "We're under attack. We need to prepare Iacon for an assault immediately."

"Agreed." Prime nodded to Eject, who activated an emergency signal over all Autobot frequencies. "But who is left to attack us?"

"There are still several Decepticons that are unaccounted for from their main army, though our reports have them scattered and disorganized." The Autobot second in command rubbed his chin. "Though there were a great many Decepticon warriors that left Cybertron in order to expand the empire while you were dormant on Earth. Perhaps some of them have returned."

"Perhaps..."

"What's going on?" Prime's response was interrupted by the question of the young Autobot [Galaxy Force Excellion] who was just entering the room. "I go in for a minor upgrade and the whole pit breaks loose."

"Welcome back Hot..."

"Hold it. Sorry to interrupt you once again Prime, but call me Rodimus." The youth replied. "Ever since I held the title of Prime, everybody treats me differently. It seems that for whatever reason, I just can't use the name Hot Rod anymore; almost as though I've lost the rights to it or something. So I figured that once I got my frame modified, I'd modify my name as well. Most everybody calls me Rodimus anyway."

"Understood, Rodimus." Prime nodded.

The rebuilt Autobot smiled as he turned and looked to Ultra Magnus. "Oh, and Magnus, Fixit wants to run some tests on you. He mentioned something about maybe implementing some of your traits into the new protoform experiments; specifically, your ability to seemingly get blown apart and still manage to survive."

Magnus shook his head in annoyance at the idea that one of the most painful moments of his life, his near execution at the hands of Galvatron on the planet of Junk, would result in him being poked and prodded by a Micromaster. "That will have to wait. It seems that we're under attack. The maximum security asylum holding Galvatron has been destroyed by what appears to be a nuclear-caliber explosion, and the reconnaissance ships we sent out to investigate have been downed."

Rodimus' cheerful demeanor immediately shifted as he started walking toward the console that his comrades were already gathered around. He glanced out of the huge window in the front of the room that looked out over Iacon and paused as he thought he saw something. A ripple of some sort, but he dismissed it as a more intent stare revealed nothing. "So I take it Iacon's on alert."

"Yes, we should be ready for whatever these guys throw at us momentarily." Magnus commented.

BOOOOM! The large window shattered inward a split second prior to the console being blasted to pieces, sending those standing around it flying in various directions. Eject's charred and limbless frame landed heavily several yards away, as did the less damaged frames of Prime and Magnus, the Autobot Commander missing an arm. Further from the blast, Rodimus was thrown back, but the damage to him was far less severe, and he was on his feet with his blaster at the ready a second later.

But there seemed to be nobody to aim that blaster at. That changed a moment later as several robots seemed to jump through the broken window, apparently from thin air. Two large, powerfully built robots led five mid-sized soldiers, laughing as they entered the flaming remains of the command center. Rodimus took aim at the maniacally grinning one in the front. "Halt and identify yourselves!"

Cryotek merely chuckled harder and turned toward Magmatron. "I'm glad you suggested destroying them up close as opposed to simply blasting them from the ship. This will be far more fun."

A crooked smile broadened across Magmatron's face. "Well, I needed some compensation for my Grimlock trophy. Not only is he unrecognizable in his modified frame, but thanks to your drill, he's got a gaping hole through his beast mode's head."

"I said identify yourselves!" Rodimus yelled again.

Cryotek turned back toward the confused and furious Autobot, his grin as wide as ever. "Can’t any of you Autobots recognize Galvatron, Commander of the Decepticons?"

8. peteynorth

Part 4 - Section 2 (continued from previous post)

"Ravenous, you will pilot the ship while we're gone." The Predacon muttered in his best impersonation of Magmatron's deep voice before whining in his own higher pitched voice. "Why am I the one that always gets left out of the fun?" The fearsome looking robot leaned back in the pilot's chair as he lamented. "I mean, I'm tough, I'm courageous; why can't I see a little action?"

While the Predacon complained, the mutilated frame of Grimlock lay dormant in the rear hold of the ship, several savage wounds covering his frame, most notably a gaping hole in his upper abdomen. A gaping hole that was slowly closing as the top of the dragonhead seemed to be healing itself.

Very little could be seen through the murky depths of the ocean, just a few dozen feet above the mud and silt covered floor; that all changed as an ominous blood red orb of energy emerged from nothingness, causing the water around it to begin bubbling from the heat given off by it. Within seconds of the spark-like entity's appearance, the mud beneath it seemed to gently shake.

The shaking persisted for nearly a minute before a muck-covered fin seemed to pull free of the tons of sediment that had been laying upon it for millions of years and make its way toward the glowing red orb. Soon various other chunks of metal emerged from the ocean floor and all began swirling around the only source of illumination at that level of the ocean. Many of the objects began reconfiguring their shape, and all soon merged into a physical form around the dark orb.

The sea and sediment settled as the fury of motion came to an end to reveal a single, humanoid shape [Energon Sharkticon]. The new form's optics lit bright red, its head twisted to its right, and in a flurry of motion the new form transformed into a miniature replica of the most powerful warship ever to exist in the Decepticon fleet. The craft's rear engines exploded to life and propelled the new frame through the dark ocean.

The ship-like form soon came upon the dilapidated remains of a track that had run along the ocean floor for hundreds of miles millions of years before. While seeming not to follow every twist and turn of the track, the craft was heading in the same general direction, and soon was heading upward toward the surface as the track had once done, prior to its collapsing due to natural wear eons before.

The ship burst through the surface of the water into an enormous cavern, circled through the air a few times before heading to a rocky perch, transforming, and settling onto terra firma.

"Well, that didn't take long at all, now did it?"

The newly created frame spun toward the cheerful voice and locked optics upon the robotic form emerging from the shadows [Transmetal Tarantulas]. "Tarantulas!"

The resurrected Predacon snickered as he replied. "I see that Unicron was able to repair your memory circuitry. How do you like your alternate mode? I'll have you know that using the Nemesis design was my suggestion, tee hee hee. It seemed appropriate given your not-so-final resting place." Tarrantulas looked over the new frame, noting some familiar looking parts. "He really does like to reuse existing scrap, doesn't he? I can't say I know why for sure, perhaps the idea of creating something from nothing runs contrary to the purpose of his existence. Though he was forced to fashion a brand new chaos spark for you; it seems that yours wasn't as indestructible as was reported."

The new form examined his hands, arms and overall frame thoroughly, before looking up toward the roof of the cavern, almost as though he was looking beyond it. "Just the part I was given." The optics flared as the new frame nodded. "My core still exists, and is currently on Cybertron."

"You can't possibly know that, Rampage!" Tarantulas replied, a mixture of annoyance and humor in his voice. "With the portion left you by Megatron destroyed, you have no link to the core anymore. What ever it is that you think you're detecting, it isn't your former spark."

Rampage flicked the fin on his left arm and lightly chuckled as he responded. "It appears that your dark creator used bits and pieces of my old playmate in my reconstruction. Some of his circuitry had been attuned to my old spark for tracking purposes." The resurrected monster laughed louder. "A trait that created for so much recreational fun during his life continues to bring me joy long after his death." The laughter abruptly stopped as Rampage's optics narrowed. "I will feast on the frame that bears it before reclaiming what is rightfully mine!" Rampage's narrowed as his gaze of Tarantulas intensified. "And call me X. Rampage was my slave name."

"As you wish, X, though it seems you’ll need to fashion yourself a mouth to enjoy your snack. Besides, that will have to wait." Tarantulas replied to X's boastful threat. "For now we must serve our master's energon needs."

"You can service him if you wish, I've got my own needs to attend to!" X growled and turned away from his former comrade. Just as he was facing the other direction, red sparks seemed to burst forth from the seams in his torso plate, and X doubled over in agony.

"Hee hee hee, look's like Megatron's suggestion wasn't half bad after all." Tarantulas chuckled at his comrade's expense as he walked over, gripped X's shoulder, and jerked him back up to a standing position, the pain seeming to subside. "Now and forever, you belong to Unicron. Mind that inescapable fact, and such instances need not be repeated." Tarantulas released X and took a couple steps back away from him. "Now, to the task at hand."

X relaxed as he fully recovered from the painful convulsion, but looked around the cavern before addressing Tarantulas. "Hey, have we gotten bigger?"

The green grass swayed as the cool ocean breeze washed over the island's surface. Perched upon a hillside, several expressionless stone faces of the Moai watched the serene view with their seemingly lifeless eyes, as they had done for many centuries.

The calm beauty of the sunny day was interrupted as two mechanical forms burst through the ground and into the air, sending dirt and rock spraying in every direction. A transmetal spider laughed maniacally as it clung to the underside of the replica Nemesis speeding off into the air.

As the speeding Predacons shrank into the sky, energy began phasing out of the stone eye sockets of three of the giant faces, and a moment later the entire faces of three VOK emerged from the Moai statues and watched the departing Predacons. "We had been guarding the den of wickedness from invasion from without, but it appears that the threat has emerged from within." The one on the left spoke.

"Cybertronians native to this timeline exist and function on this planet, perhaps we allow them to deal with Tarantulas and his comrade?" The suggestion came from the one on the right.

"No." The one in the center responded. "The spawn of Unicron once again exists outside his natural point in space-time, and has chosen to emerge at a point critical to our own existence. Our intervention is more essential now than ever."

"Prime!" Rodimus called out as he attempted to intervene in the brutal beating being given the Autobot Commander and Ultra Magnus at the hands of this robot calling himself Galvatron and several of his troops. But the massive, dinosaur-covered robot was dead set on keeping the young Autobot from reaching his target. The agile Rodimus sidestepped Magmatron, then gripped the head of the gigantosaurus and hoisted himself over and around the large warrior.

Magmatron spun, growled, and then split into his three components, the pterodactyl darting out and catching the sprinting Rodimus in his talons, hoisting him into the air and slamming him against the far wall. The young Autobot immediately bounced back onto his feet, but was once again on his back as the gigantosaurus that made up the bulk of Magmatron's body pounced upon him, massive jaws snapping at the Autobot's newly rebuilt head.

Several feet away, the heavily damaged forms of Prime and Magnus were being beaten down savagely by Cryotek, Saberback, Headcase and Sling, while Guiledart, Bazooka and now Magmatron's plesiosaur section fired repeatedly out the doorway at any Autobots who dared to approach. "Better step up the snuffing, Cr...Galvatron! The Cro-Max-nons are getting insistent!" Guiledart called out.

"Insipid fool!" Cryotek spat back. "Here I am executing Optimus Prime and Ultra Magnus, and you don't want me to relish the moment!" The leader of the criminals laughed as his giant scissor-cannons clamped upon the shoulders of Ultra Magnus and the blades spun into action. In moments the deadly weapon had sliced Ultra Magnus' arms from his torso. "How fortunate that it is I who is in charge, and not you, Guiledart! Now shut up and keep those knuckle-dragging prototypes back!"

Barely conscious, the brutalized Ultra Magnus dropped to his knees and wearily raised his head, only to find himself looking directly down the pair of cannon barrels mounted on the center of his assailant's scissor weapon. He didn't even hear the blast before everything went black.

"Magnus!" Prime, having lost his left arm during the Predacon ship's initial strike, lunged up and tossed the three Predacons off of him with his one remaining arm. Charred and dazed, the Autobot Commander charged the unknown enemy who may have just killed his closest friend and lieutenant. His charge was interrupted as the talons of a pterodactyl dug into his upper chest and a razor-sharp beak cut into his right optic.

Cryotek laughed uproariously as Prime struggled with Magmatron's winged component, released his scissor cannon, and drew a pair of axes from the back of his forearms. He turned toward the one-armed Autobot just as Prime grabbed the prehistoric flier and slammed it to the ground. Prime's head snapped back forward just in time for his one good optic to see a pair of knee-mounted gattling guns spray their explosive rounds into his chest. The impact and subsequent explosions forced him back a step, and tore his already damaged chest armor open in several places, but the determined Autobot immediately pressed forward against the assault.

His valiant effort was met by a slash from one of the invader's axe blades across his functional optic, and a secondary slash up and across his torso, the blade cutting through what remained of his abdominal and chest armor. A second burst of explosive rounds erupted from the barrels of Cryotek's knee guns, this time his proximity to Prime making the Autobot's knees the object of their destruction.

Cryotek's laughter roared through the air as like with Ultra Magnus, Optimus Prime fell to his knees before him. The Predacon flipped his axe handles so that the sharp points were facing downward, raised his hands high above the prostrate Autobot, and drove the points down into the base of the neck on either side of his head. Sparks and various mech fluids sprayed into the air, but the tough outer shell of the Autobot leader kept the axe points from penetrating more than a few inches. Slightly frustrated, Cryotek returned his axes to their mounts and drew his drill from his back. "Ahhh, still slick with Grimlock's vital fluids."

Cryotek positioned the bit against Prime's chest and began drilling into it. The Predacon leader grinned madly as what remained of Prime’s armor was torn completely away, revealing much of his internal circuitry, as well as the outside of the casing that held both his spark and the Matrix of Leadership. The drill bit tore through the outer casing, but was immediately knocked away and out of Cryotek's hands by an unseen force.

The drill made a loud clang as it hit the ground, as did another object, one that Cryotek was unable to see. Following the noise of the invisible object bouncing across the floor, Cryotek soon saw sparks shooting out from the air a few feet above the floor, a wave passing over nothingness, and then finally the inside of the stealth crafts cargo bay door came into view. "What in the pit?" The Predacon turned and stared out of the enormous hole in the window that his ship had made earlier.

Standing apparently upon thin air was Grimlock, clutching the unconscious Ravenous by the back of his neck. "Once again you engage a worthy warrior in battle, but lack the courage to dispense with your superior numbers. You are without honor." With that, Grimlock hurtled the inert Predacon at Cryotek, hitting the criminal mastermind in the chest and sending him falling backward.

"Not sure who some of the players are," Primal announced to his team as they flew toward the besieged Autobot tower, having left their ship in the safest spot they could find in the time they had. The air around them was beginning to swirl about as a temporal storm began to gather. "But do whatever it takes to get Prime some breathing room! We'll sort out who's who later."

"You got it Bigbot!" Cheetor, the only flier without a passenger, shot out ahead and started firing on several of the Predacons, but his shots were blocked several dozen feet prior to hitting their intended targets. "What the slag?"

"The stealth ship must be positioned between us and the fray!" Silverbolt announced as he flew with Black Arachnia on his back.

"Thanks for pointing out the obvious, Rin Tin Tin." Rat Trap replied as he clung to Primal's back, this flight less comfortable than all the previous ones as he was the larger of the two for once.

"Just work your way around it and protect those Autobots!" Primal shouted over the strengthening temporal winds as he swooped to a position he thought low enough to go under the invisible ship.

Cheetor had already made his way around it, having only scraped the top of his frame once in his attempts to navigate around and into the opening of the tower. "Maximize!" Cheetor hit the floor in robot mode, cupped his hands and fired a blast from his feline mouth cannon directly into the chest of Saberback.

Headcase charged the Maximal, but his assault was interrupted as a mechanical rat leapt into the room, made a slight transformation, and hit the ground in hot rod mode with wheels spinning as Primal started firing on the Predacons guarding the doorway. The wheeled rat shot forward and slammed into the abdomen of Headcase, despite a split second's hesitation due to the Predacon's eerie resemblance to a lost friend of his.

"Rod! Where are you?" A pink Cybertronian speeder shot through the hallway, ignoring the Predacon fire that was slamming into its armor, and shot into the room.

"Arcee!" [no toy - yet] Rodimus called out as his former girlfriend transformed and fell to the ground, smoke curling up from her many blast wounds. The gigantosaurus that had been battling Rodimus turned away from him and leapt toward the Femme.

While in the air, it connected with the other two dinosaurs and came down to the floor as Magmatron, with the hilt of his suddenly blade-less sword reconfigured into the form of a hand-held rocket launcher. Magmatron turned back toward Rodimus and smiled as he leveled his weapon at Arcee. "How touching." The missile shot out of the barrel of the weapon and blasted a large hole into Arcee's abdomen and hip, tearing through the left side of her lower torso.

"NO!" Rodimus called out as he leapt toward them, delivering a jump kick to Magmatron's jaw before landing and scurrying toward Arcee's suddenly stasis-locked frame.

Rat Trap transformed and looked through the swirling air to see what was going on, a sick feeling welling up in him as he saw the Femme's mangled frame laying motionless on the floor, various fluids spurting up from her multiple wounds. "NO!"

He too sprinted toward the Femme, but was caught by a swift right cross from the kneeling Rodimus. "Stay away from her, you monster!" Leveling his left wrist blaster at the unknown robot, Rodimus sneered in hatred. "Better yet, die."

The weapon fired, but a large object sliced through the air and intercepted the strike. "No!" Both Rodimus and Rat Trap stared at the massive axe blade embedded in the floor that had blocked the shot, and then up at its wielder. Grimlock looked down at Rodimus and shook his head. "The vermin's one of us."

"One of us?" Rodimus stared at the warrior in utter confusion. "And just who the slag are you?" The Autobot asked as he raised his right wrist blaster at the massive beast-bot.

"Grimlock." The warrior replied before drawing his axe and charging back toward the Predacons, slowing in confusion momentarily as his ability to witness the time storm seemed to fade in and out.

Rodimus turned and watched the robot leave, positive that the claim of being the Dinobot Commander was false, but despite the absence of poor grammar, was certain that the voice was that of Grimlock. Turning his head back toward the smaller robot, Rodimus witnessed a look of utter amazement etched on the buck-toothed stranger's face as he too stared at the departing dragon-bot. The newly arrived robot finally turned his head and locked optics with Rodimus, and then they both directed their attention to the wounded Femme on the floor between them. "If you so much as blink at her wrong, I'll fling you out the hole in the wall."

"Eh, cool your jets Romeo, this old lady means more to me than you can know." Rat Trap responded as he assessed Arcee's injuries. Rodimus simply glared at the rodent-bot silently, unsure of what to make of the comment.

Magmatron walked up behind Rodimus, a cruel grin forming as he looked down on the unsuspecting Autobot and Maximal. He raised his newly reconfigured sword and prepared to split the young Autobot’s head in two, but a blast to his chest sent him falling back. “Not so fast, Magmatron!” Primal swooped over and landed in front of the imposing Predacon, his forearm cannons blazing. “I’m well aware of your record, criminal, and I will not allow any more of your atrocities here!”

“Primal!”

Magmatron’s yell forced Cryotek, who had just been engaged in hand-to-hand combat by Grimlock, to look over at Primal. “No! NOO! You should be wiped out of existence!”

“Apparently not yet villain!” Grimlock yelled as he knocked the distracted Cryotek across the room with a massive swipe of his axe.

Cryotek looked up at the oncoming Grimlock, then looked to his troops being squeezed between advancing Autobots and Primal’s team of Maximals. “Pred…Decepticons, retreat to the ship!” The Predacon leader jumped to his feet, transformed to dragon mode and started flying toward the stealth ship. “And somebody grab Ravenous!”

The Predacons rapidly made their way out of the command center and leapt through the broken window into their hovering stealth craft. A moment later they were gone, and a wave of Autobots burst into the room, led by Red Alert [Robots in Disguise Prowl] and Hoist [Armada Supercon Optimus Prime], both of who immediately sprinted toward the smoldering frame of Optimus Prime as the other advancing Autobots trained their weapons on the unknown robots. "Primus, what in the pit happened here Hot Rod?" Red Alert shouted out as he took in the damage to his leader.

"He's called Rodimus now." Hoist mentioned absently as he immediately attempted to stabilize Prime.

"He's the one guy in here I recognize, I'll use the name the rolls currently have listed for him if it's alright with you." Red Alert spat back as he covered the robots he failed to recognize with his blasters. "So Hot Rod, who are these guys?"

Rodimus backed away from Arcee as several medics gathered around her to attend to her wounds and started toward Red Alert. "The big one calls himself Grimlock. I have no idea about the others."

Optimus Primal stepped forward, his hands submissively in the air. "I suppose some sort of explanation is in order."

9. peteynorth

Autobots/Maximals

Name: Rodimus (formerly Hot Rod)
    Toy: Galaxy Force Excellion
    Function: Autobot Field Commander