Tell me why skids and mudflap were racists?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by exclusacon, Jul 29, 2011.

1. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    As a black man, i have seen my share of racism...but we wont get into that...
    My question is how were skids and mudflap consider racists?

You hear it in every review about ROTF, about them being racists jive talkers...
    I watch it I didnt see nothing racist about at all....unless im missing something...
    So do people think all black people talk jive? All black people wear gold teeth?

Now if this against the rules please close. Im just wondering what people think about it.

2. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I never thought they were. I thought the whole thing was stupid.

3. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    What's kinda funny is that Mudflap was played by Reno Wilson, a black man, and I believe in an interview he said "he's shocked to discover that his way of talking is offensive to himself".

I've always seen the Twins as being Cybertronian-style Wiggers.

4. jon5000

jon5000 Tea-Drinker

I think the implied racism centres on the idea of stereotypes. For some people those iconographic elements you mention are stereotypically associated with black culture, I guess. And I guess those people find that use of stereotypes quite demeaning to races, in this case black people.

Personally I don't think it's racist per say, as you say *real* racism is something else entirely! It's not outwardly trying to cause offense.

I think it's their intelligence (or lack thereof) which I would say is more racist in the case of Skids and Mudflap. But that's just me!

5. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Brony

News Credits:
    The racism card is just thrown around all crazily now. I hated the twins but I never thought they were racist at all. You have an issue where you can't caricature, parody, or satire anything or anyone without someone calling foul on you. We've become a bit TOO PC, and the Twins being dubbed racist is a product of that.

There are some genuine issues with slurs used against minority groups that perpetuate hate and violence....but the Twins were NOWHERE near that at all.

6. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    Never has the flogging a dead horse thingy been more apt.

:horse:  :deadhorse: 

7. SMS55

SMS55 Well-Known Member

I agree with you. I can show you quite a few hispanic kids like that too and even a few white ones.

8. Stormrunner

Stormrunner Cry for the Cat's Eye

Their intelligence isn't really all that bad if you think about it. They are very young - the war started when they were young - they probably did not have any time to learn to read Cybertronian (or anything really).

To me they were like giant children trying to be cool.

But I can see why some would be offended by their talk + "lack of intelligence".

They seemed intelligent enough to talk about Sam killing Megatron (or the lack there of).

I think hitting Cybertronian young heads against hard objects must be a way of discipline XD.

But saying they are young - I think Bumblebee is like a 16-18 year old in terms of age. Very brave and serious when he needs to be - but can act like a spoiled brat when he wants to (aka the fit he threw after he blew up the house).

Maybe I'm weird thinking of Cybertronian intelligence by age?

9. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I didn't find them rascist i found them stupid and pointless.

Also their crappy toys shelfwarm real bad.

10. Cyber Star

Cyber Star Why so Geewun, Loser?

Some people just like to find any reason to hate something. And the Racism Card tends to be thrown around alot these days.

The twins didnt bother me, but I do think that what people found to be the most offensive was the scene where I think it was Mudflap that said "We dont really do much readin." Even though it was also shown later that Wheelie couldnt read whatever it was either. I dunno anymore, its all silly.

11. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    I agree..

I agree, lately everything is too pc..

I know it a dead horse, but I never seen a legit answer to it. And reading the other thread about being the worst summer movie, the first thing they said was the racist jive talking robots...just irk me..

Thank you...

Actually that way I look at it too...i guess we weird together..lol

Lol..toys sucks..

I agree too....

Thing about when DOTM was first releasing images of the wreckers, the sterotypes begins. Nascar,mullets, beer belly, fix cars associated with southern country people ( I dont feel that way, but media makes that way) I think they (the studio ) was gonna go that way. They decided against it and make them speak scottish( guessing here).. I dont know....

12. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

One of those cases where there were lots of individual elements that own their own didn't mean that much but when all the elements were gathered together some people found them hitting too close to some very old very bad stereotypes. Some of the stereotypes have been out of fashion for a while so perhaps it's easier for older people to spot them.

By itself the ears, the lips, the method of talking, the rather lazy look to the eyes, the gold tooth, or any elements don't come across that poorly. It's only when they are combined together and you get the problem of robots don't have skin so you can't tell if the character was based on what type of people that you run into problems.

Toss in the factor of Bay doesn't always showing people in the best light. They didn't factor in that "mammy" is still a racial slur with the first film, you had the bad teeth guy from the deli, and other movies where it's not exactly avoiding bad stereotypes in a Micheal Bay movie.

Then we have to top all that off with a segment of society that is to say it politely overly sensitive. I've read things on how Lord of the Rings or any movie you care to name was some how racist. Some people live to find a racist boggy man in everything even though most film makers are open minded people who are making our entertainment more color blind when it comes to race and movie characters.

13. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

This I totally agree with.

14. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    No one accused them of being racists. They were accused of being derogatory racial stereotypes. BIG difference.

15. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    It irks all of us. It's pathetic bleeding heart PC over-reactive nonsense. If anything I saw them as white kids trying hard to be black. That's not racist, that's what I see in practically every teenager with nothing better to do with themselves than hang around the streets listening to gangster rap, and I live in a predominantly white community.

That's basically what Skidz and Mudflap are, kids trying too hard.

16. Altimus Prime

Altimus Prime Shift perceptions

I don't think it's that Mudflap and Skids are themselves racist. It's that their portrayal is racist, or a racist stereotype.

Although to be honest, I see more suburban white boys acting like that more so than blacks themselves. And they look even dumber doing it.

It's a type or "style" of mannerisms, mainly a way of speaking, that seems to have infiltrated "pop" culture. I don't consider it racist. Honestly, I can handle it more in those two 'bots than I can in people.

I'm sure there were a good number of people in the audience who talk and act just like Mudflap and Skids do because they think it's "sick" or something. Maybe those most upset by it are the ones seeing themselves in the portrayal, and not liking it. <shrug>

17. cappeca

cappeca wtf is this?

Every Micheal Bay movie has a black actor playing a black stereotyped comedic character. Of course the twins have no skin or color per se, but by character association they were understood to be the black feature of the film. Compare:

[​IMG]

18. Wars

Wars Regular At Swerve's™

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    I never thought they were racist. I simply just thought they were funny.

19. Altimus Prime

Altimus Prime Shift perceptions

My biggest problem with these two are their faces.

Sorry, those just are not the kind of faces Transformers robots should have.

It's like they're some kind of mutated freaks. And race or racism has nothing to do with it.

20. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    This, to some degree.

I did not like that a golden tooth was added, disproportionate faces and that they couldn't get killed by devastator.

The entire characterization wasn't all that bad, it's just some bad decisions were made.