Tell me if this sounds like I did my job wrong *rant warning*

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DaggersRage, Jul 11, 2009.

1. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Little background info here, I work the Napster subscription music service and I am a tech support plus customer service agent for them.

This call that I am on is about a guy who's subscription was cancel because his bank had to freeze his credit card some reason but he had the issue straghtened out with his bank and wants to resubscribe back onto the service. Fine, this isnt the first time this has happened and it's pretty easy to work around. I ask the customer a few questions about his payment information to see if they match what we have on the system, they do, so his records are up to date and ready for use.

I notice a potential problem with this customer though, before his bank froze his account and thus Napster automatically canceling him because he couldn't make his payment (system does that automatically). Well, the problem I see is that the time he use to be subscriber with napster to now, the napster serivce has made some changes. He was paying $12.95 a month but now napster charges $5 a month (with options of 3 months for $15 or a year for $60). The price change wasnt the only change though and so I'm telling the customer about what was different from what he use to have to what he would have now if he resubscribe. I don't want to guy to sign up for something that he's not happy with.

This is when things go downhill. My supervisor walks up to me looking pissed off (to be fair, she does always look like that though). I have the cust on hold to find out what is wrong and my supervisor says that I was not paying attention to the customer and then proceeds to explain to me that I have no resolved his issue of why he is calling. She explains to me that this guy has tried to sign up for the service and wasnt able to (customers can do this online without calling us) and that he has submitted his card number multiple times to us and each time he has done that napster would do a $1 pending charge to the card (the $1 goes back to the guy automatically, its for card validation).

Yes, this customer has submitted his card number to us more than once and there was a time he did try to subscribe but napster refused it and the reason for it is "insufficent funds", which was a month old, but that was the only time he has ever tried to resubsribe to us. My supervisor tells me to sign him up for the $15 dollar membership and see if any problems come up. I still have not been able to ask the customer if it was okay for me to sign him up for the service for him. So I sign him up because my supervisor is breathing fire down on me and volla! No problems and now he is a subscriber. My supervisor then tells me that I'm taking too much on the call (2 minutes are taken up because the supervisor stopped me).

The customer is fine and happy with all this but my supervisor isnt satisfied with my performance on the call. What the fuck?

2. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Managers are idiots. The sooner you accept this fact, the happier you will be.

Well, not "happy." But you'll understand things better.

3. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Yeah, but they call the shots on weither I'm fired or not.

EDIT: I'm probably being too paranoid on all this but lately we've had some agents who do a good job get fired for some reason.

4. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    It sucks, but that is life. You can either bend over and take it and don't let it bother you, or move on to another job where the working conditions are not quite as bad.

5. Optimus Sledge

As someone who's worked in a call centre, I can tell you the problem is simple: you're doing the job they told you to do, not the one they want you to do. What they told you to do is help people who ring up to the best of your abilities. What they want you to do is get each person off the line in under two minutes, they just won't admit that that's all they care about because of the PR problems it would cause.

6. Wingsbr

Wingsbr Christian TF Fan :)

News Credits:
    As a call center manager, I can tell you that companies have been looking for ways to cut costs over the past year. As the economy continues to worsen, people have less money for "frivolous" services and to be honest, napster falls in that category for some people.

I think I understand why the boss said put him on a 15 plan and that's because she probably has some widget on her performance review that aligns to a corporate goal of selling X amount of plans/dollars by year end. I also know that companies are trying to keep the PMPM (Per Member, Per Month) costs down and those costs include everything from a persons salary to the lights to everything else.

So she's doing a service observation, which all CCM's are required to do, and she notices that you are taking to long and that's why she comes down with the attitude. As a manager, I think her actions are in appropriate because the right thing to do is to ask questions, not make assumptions, about what your employees are doing on the phone. Just because we hear both sides of the call, doesn't mean that we can interpret all sides of the story.

You are right about one thing, she does hold the keys to your castle as far as employment goes and in as much as possible, try to stay on her good side. It's ok to vent when they're not around, everyone does it, but keep it to a minimum around people you work with because others are also out to keep their job, sometimes at your expense. (meaning they will "confide" in your boss that they heard you say "X")

If you ever need help on anything, just hit me up on PM or the 360, good luck

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  7. Faxon

Faxon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And the moral of the story is to lie, cheat, weasal and usurp until you are the manager.

8. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    she's clearly retarded and too busy kissing the asses of her superiors to know what's good for the customer, considering her superiors probably have no idea themselves, as they've never spoken to one. it's the same deal with the company i work for. almost all decisions about what goes on in a store are made at a head office, by people who have never worked a day in a store, and are too dumb to realize that every store is unique in its staff, shape/size, and its customer base. ALL STORES MUST BE THE SAME. we have almost 0% control over what happens in our store. very dumb.

but yeah, you were totally doing the right thing, she's a knob.

9. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

Wait. Didn't she have you sign him up for a plan he didn't ask for? (The first post confused me. I'm not sure why, but it was just off kilter for me.) Isn't that illegal? If I was the customer, I'd demand a refund and go elsewhere with my money.

10. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

holy crap! advice from sledge that doesnt involve sticking something in her pooper! and good advice too

11. Optimus Sledge

I did want to stick it in a manager's pooper once. She was wearing a sexy Santa's helper outfit just before Christmas. Great legs.

Her's weren't bad either.

12. JetRaid

JetRaid Jhet Rheyd

News Credits:
    :lol  My god Sledge :lol 

13. DaraRex2.0

DaraRex2.0 I'd totally eat the leaf

It's like fast food service, what he doesn't know won't hurt him.

...until he gets the bill and does the calculator thing. Then if the customer boo-hoos on it and the blame falls on you, take it like a man. But don't let them fire you. And don't point your finger. The boss hates pointing fingers >V>

14. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

Kill my boss? Do I dare live out the American Dream?

15. Moroni Prime

Moroni Prime #TFYLP Podcast

News Credits:
    I am a manager, and I approve this message.

16. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    DaggersRage, you're the kind of conscientious customer service representative that I appreciate when I have to call a company. Don't let the bitch supervisor change that.

--Moony

17. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sounds to me like you were doing all you could to help a customer out - which is what a good customer service agent should be doing.

Your supervisor, on the other hand, sounds like a twat.

18. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    bosses/managers like like dirty diapers always full of sh*t and always on your ass

(no offense meant to any managers who are members here :)  )

19. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quit whining about something inherent to your position or change your position.

Or keep whining, I guess. It's a free country and all that.

So yeah, I've got nothing. :D