tell me abt planet hulk

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by KA, Mar 5, 2007.

1. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    so the mini series just closed and theyre dealing with the aftermath.

ive been putting it off, but the cover art is really starting to suck me in. beautiful stuff, kinda like moebius, whos this guy?

also, gimme a rundown on the series, k?

2. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'm bad at artist names, but all you need to know about Planet Hulk is that it kicked ass and is available in TPB format on Amazon, leaving you no reason to not pick it up.

Basically, Hulk is exiled from Earth and finds himself on a planet where gladiatorial combat determines who rules. Cue crazy battles, evil emperor, and secret rebellion.

It was a very clever way of exploiting two consistent weakness in Hulk plots--a lack of suitably powerful villians (solved here by just making up strong aliens as needed), and the inability to let Hulk cut loose like he really wants to without making him a bad guy when he destroys the city (solved here by putting him where everybody fights anyways, so it's all good to turn green and bust out of your underpants).

3. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nope, it's a storyline within the Hulk comic and not a Miniseries. But it's well worth reading.

Oooh, nice Hardcover. You want this. All it seems to be missing is the Gladiator Guide.

4. Primal

Primal Moderator

News Credits:
    José Omar Ladrönn, he also provides the covers to Elephantmen.

According to his Wiki page, his art style is inspired by Jean "Moebius" Giraud as well as Jack Kirby and Juan Gimenez.

5. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    oh yeah, ive seen the elephantmen covers. nice painty stuff.

6. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    The series was a departure from the psychological conflict of PAD's work and just went with showing the Hulk at his best. They de-powered him a little, to show he could be hurt and laid the ground work for a new supporting cast that the Hulk can trust to some degree. The gladiator, rebel and leader progression was fun and for a continuity buff, it foreshadows the Maestro nicely. I doubt they want to go in that direction though.
    This set up is has now created a Hulk full of rage that is smart, revengeful and powered by an alien army from many parts of the Marvel Universe.