Tell me about your Hawaii vacations

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ops_was_a_truck, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Fiance wants second opinions on going to Hawaii. Have any of y'all gone? When did you go? What was the weather like? etc., etc.

2. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

I've never gone.

But the ex went several times with her family, and they loved it. They went in June, excellent weather. Some rain, but nothing serious. There were some nice trails around the mountains, some really beautiful land and waterfalls.

And of course, the beach.

I've always wanted to go, hopefully I'll get a chance in the next few years.

3. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

The weather is pretty nice when its not raining, but its wayyyyy humid for my tastes. Took me about 6 days to kinda adjust to that.

But its kinda nice. Only island that I know well though is Maui. Ive been all over that place. Pretty nice. My uncle owns an inn there so I got to go during the summer. I would be willing to go again just to get out of the horrible California heat. Weather there is good when its not raining.

Any specific questions you have? :p 

4. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Been there many times. Been to most of the islands as well. Also lived there for a year. Getting married there in March.

Let me know what you would like to know as far as specifics.

5. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

born and raised there...along with the usual vacation each year.

um....everythings expensive...Totinos pizza is $2-3 (whereas here its $0.88), gallon milk is $5 (whereas here its $2), gas, etc. They got a 4.0167% sales tax FYI (so bring some change :D )

Weathers not bad, just gotta used to it...unless you have a/c, get ready to sweat day and night.

places to see (Oahu): Diamond Head (nice view from up top), Sea Life Park (go at night for the Luau and the show), Polynesian Culture Center (learn and watch the show), Paradise Cove at Ko Olina resort (nice Luau show), North Shore (see where the Surf Masters surf at), Pearl Harbor, Battleship Missouri (if you havent been on a ship yet), Aloha Flea Market (aka Swap Meet), Hanauma Bay (where you can snorkel and see the fishes),and Pali Lookout. That's all i can think of right now.

you can also go around the island, which should take you 3/4th of the day.

6. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

My ex used to buy a lot of jewelry in Hawaii because the sales tax is only about half of Colorado's.

7. Larkin Vain

Larkin Vain Collector Reborn!

Live here right now on Oahu... Milk isn't that expensive, I just bought a gallon today for under 3 bucks. Don't buy anything at the airport stuff there is too expensive. Get your souveniers at the aloha flea market you will save a bundle. I like the weather here I guess cause I'm used to the humidity. I don't know about sweating, but I always get cool trade wind breezes in the leeward side. I'd take humidity and a constant weather over extreme heat or extreme cold any day.

8. Razerwire

News Credits:
    You go to Roosevelt High? My sisters went there. I was too young for school when I was living there though.

I gotta say out of all the islands I've been to, I'd rank them like this:

1. Hawaii
    2. Kauai
    3. Oahu
    4. Maui

I nearly drowned off of Kaanapali Beach in Maui. Which is why it's at the bottom of the list. I must say I do like Lahaina on Maui though.

9. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Any cool ruins in Hawaii?

I suppose with volcanoes spewing lava all the time, that may be unlikely.

10. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    Omega - thanks for the price warning; I'm assuming Hanauma will be one of our destinations while we're there. I love snorkeling and really want to show my girl teh fishies!

RW - Thanks for the FYI on the islands; what else is there on the other islands (Oahu, Kauai, Maui) that's significantly different from Hawaii itself? Actually, let me rephrase that; do the other islands have something significant (a travel destination or geographic landmarks) that the main island just can't offer?

Larkin - Good idea on the flea market for souvenirs, I know both sides of the family will probably want (or at least be appeased by) a ridiculous-looking tiki dude or coconut character. The cheaper, the better.

I'm starting to do the pricing via the big four "compare & save" travel sites - Expedia, orbitz, travelocity and priceline. So far, expedia and orbitz are neck and neck in terms of prices; one's air fare is cheaper, the other has better hotel rates.

My girl is particularly curious about one of the hotels that, apparently, has some sort of lagoon bar. I haven't been able to get the exact details from her, but she's describing it was "There's a hotel where it's built around a small inlet and there's a bar in the middle; you can swim out to the bar. We should stay there." (Personally, this gets a "WTF?" from me each time, but hey - at least I'm being a dutiful fiance and doing my research.)

The last thing I'm curious about is this - The girl and I are curious about doing some of the horseback trail rides. Which island does these the most and/or are they exclusive to only one island?

11. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I've never been. My parents went when I was a freshman in college and left me behind.

12. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sounds like you're pretty set on Hawaii, but if you've never been to Bermuda, it might be also worth investigating that as a possible vacation destination. We were debating between Hawaii and Bermuda for our honeymoon, and ultimately opted for Bermuda.

My wife found a travel agent that loved Bermuda and visited several times a year, so we got all the inside scoop into all the places to go. Cost was exceptionally reasonable. Got married in NJ, and Bermuda was a mere 2 hour flight out of Newark (even less from the D.C. area, I'd guess). Hawaii is a loooong way from the east coast!

We enjoyed every second of the ten days we spent, and many of the "island-style" amenities are similar to what I found researching Hawaii. We've got Hawaii on the list of future to-do's, but no regrets about opting for Bermuda.

Horseback riding, reef snorkeling, cave tours, naval museum, sailboat cruises at night... man it just went on and on. Good stuff.

13. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    Well, the girl and I had considered the Carribean; that was her first choice. The one thing we keep trying to figure out, though, is if we'll be down there during the prime of Hurricane season. Our honeymoon will be the 2nd-3rd weeks in August, so we're trying to figure out how (and where) to avoid Hurricaney weather if we go south of Florida.

14. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, don't come down this way during August. Even if there's a relatively quiet hurricane season (which is what's been predicted for this year), late August is the REALLY unpleasant, high-humidity heat. Come visit Mickey in the first half of the year.

Even though Bermuda's quite a bit northeast of us (east of NC/VA), it isn't hurricane-free either, unfortunately.

15. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Here's how I view the major islands and what they have to offer:

Oahu: everyone goes there. For first timers it's not a bad idea. But it's VERY touristy. As in you can't go anywhere without finding a ton of people around. This is definitely the most modern island with the capital being there. We went there a couple of years ago for my fiancee's first time.

Waikiki Beach is crowded with people. Shopping at Ala Moana Mall can get pricey, as well as shopping along the Waikiki Beach front. You can't walk five steps without seeing an ABC Store, which is like a nicer version of 7-Eleven.

Hanauma Bay is a bit over crowded too but snorkeling there is still fun. There's also Pearl Harbor to visit there as well.

If you plan on going to Oahu, I'd pick one day where you can rent a Jeep and drive around the island. Head up to the North Shore and Waimea area where there's much less people.

Kauai: This is definitely the most beautiful island and probably least inhabited out of all the major islands that I've been to. If you're into rainforests, nature, and that type of thing, go to Kauai. Other than that, there's not much else to do on the island. Maybe spas.

Maui: I'd say this is the second most populated island in Hawaii. It can be a lot of fun since it's not as bad as Oahu as far as the amount of people go. I really liked Lahaina when I was there. Like I said, the only reason why I don't like Maui is because I almost drowned there. And now I have a fear of the open ocean. But that's just me. I do believe that Maui is the closest island to Molokini, an extinct volcano where diving is just phenomenal.

Hawaii: I love this island. Some people I've talked to don't like it since they said it's like the surface of the moon with all the lava flows, but I really really love the Kohala Coast. So much so that we're getting married there.

The Volcanoes National Park is breathtaking and the island still offers plenty of rainforests and waterfalls. Lavatubes are a great experience to walk through as well.

A great idea for keeping costs down when going to Hawaii is picking the season, finding the right travel agency for tickets, and maybe renting a condo instead of hotel room. Condos are great because you get a kitchen where you can easily go to a grocery store and bring back stuff to cook, keeping costs down.

If you're a Costco member, they usually offer good package deals to Hawaii that includes a condo and a car. I do believe they offer plane tickets too.

Normally we book through SunTrips or Pleasant Holidays. They've been good to us many times. That trip to Oahu a few years ago cost us $400 a person which included round trip air fare, lei greeting at the airport, airport shuttle, tours, and four nights hotel room. We ended up skipping on the tours since we wanted to do our own thing which was fine with them. It was during October which helped since it's not peak season. But the weather was still fine then.

If you do plan on going to any of the islands and if it's your first time, I'd suggest the following:

1. Go to a luau show. Great fun and food.
    2. Rent a car and drive around the island.
    3. Research good places to eat and ask the locals. Foodnetwork.com is great.
    4. Check the places you want to visit. A lot of them require fees.

16. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    I read most of this post, but this made me do a double take. Holy crapola.

Thanks for all the info thus far, dude!

17. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Yeah, that was our first experience with Pleasant Holidays. A friend/coworker recommended it to us and we jumped at that price.

'Course it's a bit relative since flying out of DC will cost more on the air fare, but that's a given. Everything else shouldn't be that expensive if you go through them.

No prob on the info. I've been doing a lot of research lately on it. :lol 

18. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    Damn, I forgot about the distance. CA to HI is probably much less than DC to HI. I guess it's unavoidable; we'll be paying out the butt for the flight, regardless of whether it's a travel package or not.

Another question - how regularly do you need a car/jeep on the islands? Like, is stuff walkable or is it much more worth it to have a vehicle? I'm also sorta curious about ferries; if we rent a car on Hawaii, can we take a ferry to Oahu, Maui, etc?

19. Razerwire

News Credits:
    I saw a deal on Pleasant Holidays from LA to Honolulu for $442 a person but when I clicked Dulles, it jumped to $937 a person.

If you're going to Oahu and are staying in the Waikiki Beach area, you don't need a car to walk around there.

However, if you want to go to Hanauma Bay or anywhere else on the island, you'll be needing to either take the bus (which is pretty unreliable from our experience. They got a weird system there) or renting a car. Hanauma Bay and the northern parts of the island are pretty far to be taking a bus.

I'd say plan on one day where you rent a car and drive around the island. After you're done that day, just return the car.

As for ferries, I'm not too sure. I've never taken ferries and I don't recall them having any. Most of the time it's island hoppers which are small airplanes. Normally we just pick an island and don't leave that island. On one occasion we did Honolulu to Maui to Hawaii, but we had to take flights for those.

20. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    Aight, cool. The island-to-island transportation had me confused. And hell, the less car rental we do, the better. Thanks so far, dude.