Tell me a few things about USA customs...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by llamatron, May 10, 2008.

1. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Alright so I'm going to Hawaii in about a week for one week. Got a few questions for you USA folks.

Tipping

What's the deal? When is it appropriate and how much? Run me through the following situations: Taxi, hotel, restaurant (classy and non classy), bar, prostitute.

Credit Cards

I assume that most major stores have "eftpos" or a similar system (allowing you to swipe your card instead of paying in cash). For credit cards do you guys need to use your PIN or just sign for it? I ask because although my CC does have a PIN associated with it, over here we just have to swipe and sign for CCs, but I have heard that some other countries require the PIN.

Taco Bell

I have always wanted to go to Taco Bell. What are some good items?

Other

What are some more typically American things? Hooters? Dennys?

2. Prowl_Delta_31

Prowl_Delta_31 Eating your donuts

News Credits:
    Tips:
    If its a sit down and eat place(Red Lobster, Ruby Tuesday, Chili's, etc.) I always tip 20% of the bill. If its real upscale I tip 25%.
    Prostitutes couldnt tell ya how much to tip but I can tell you how much your bail would be to get out of jail.:D 
    Bars I run a tab and give them 15% of the total.
    Credit Cards:
    We have them were you can just sign and debit cards require a pin number.
    Taco Bell:
    I just funny to hear that you have never been to a Taco Bell. I thought they had these all over the world.
    Other:
    Since you are going to Hawaii you have to take a helicopter tour of the place. You will not regret it.

Last edited: May 10, 2008
  3. llamatron

News Credits:
    Cool, thanks for the response. Note: I do not actually intend to hire any prostitutes. Although, what would the bail be?

It's a real shame that we don't have any Taco Bells here. In fact we don't really have any fast food Mexican place. Maybe this is a good thing?

4. Prowl_Delta_31

News Credits:
    I dont know here it really depends. Usually about 250 but there it might be less/more.

5. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I <3 Taco Hell.

6. ranoobu

ranoobu I like fried chicken

News Credits:
    Tipping:

Some people follow a tipping scale based on the type of meal..

Lunch is 10%

Dinner is 20%

.. tipping is really not set in stone.. I honestly don't even know the origin of the above.

Credit Cards:

Some places will ask for a form of picture identification. So don't forget that.

Taco Bell:

I like to get the "Mexican Pizza".. Taco bell is the only place that I know of that has this thing.. it's nothing special, but I like it..

If you like spicy, make sure you ask for "Fire" sauce if they don't allow you to pick up your own condiments. It's not REALLY spicy. It's just really good

Edit:

Other:

I don't know what chains are international, but I do know hawaii loves Spam. If you haven't had that, you should try it. I love spam

American.. I have no idea what kinda places are in hawaii... HECK.. there are famous food chains on the eastern coast that we don't have on the western coast and visa versa.

If they have an IN n OUT in Hawaii.. DEFINITELY have a piece.. I hear stories all the time and from friends back east how they crave IN n OUT (only found on the western side of the USA as far as I know)

Oh.. and every time family, friends, acquaintances come back from Hawaii, they bring loads of macadamia nuts with them.. They say it's cheap to buy them in hawaii.. but you might need to know the right places since Tourist areas will probably only sell them cheap to locals. My gf brought me back some macadamias and the price was pretty much the same compared to here.. so that's what i'm basing it on

7. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    Warning. Taco Bell tends to cause anal leaking on your virgin taste.

8. llamatron

News Credits:
    Because of our isolated nature we have crazy strict border control. I won't be able to bring any food products or anything made of wood back into the country.

9. llamatron

News Credits:
    :lol  I will make sure that I do not sample the heavenly delights of the bell until after my business stuff is done.

10. ranoobu

News Credits:
    Oh that sucks, I hope you find a lot of different things in Hawaii and enjoy your visit.

I bet by the end of the weekend, there's going to be a lot of people who will give you some good tips.

Do you know which island(s) you'll be visiting? It might help some people point out some cool hole in the wall places for you

11. llamatron

News Credits:
    The island is "Oahu," I'll be near Waikiki and Honolulu.

12. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I've never had that problem. Maybe he's just not cool enough for TheBell

13. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

:sly2: 

Wuzzat about? To keep the witches out?

As for the tipping thing..to further confuse you, I've always heard 15% is the traditional amount. Me, I actually base it on like...the level of service received. I start at 10%. If you totally suck, you can go all the way to friggin' zero. Keep me supplied with Coke refills at least, up to 15% you go. Do an exceptional job, 20%. Hot blonde? 25%+. Etc.

Credit cards/debit cards have been covered, but you do run into the occasional place that just doesn't take plastic.

Yes.

14. Prowl_Delta_31

News Credits:
    You must go to Pearl Harbor if thats were your gonna be. They have some really cool things there.

15. ranoobu

News Credits:
    I was wondering about that

I wonder if you tried to smuggle wood on your person, if they have wood detectors. :lol 

But yea, I'd want to know why wood. Is it fear of some sorta of wood disease to the natural environment or termites or something?

And as for the places not taking credit cards, DEFINITELY possible, so bring some cash with you too. It might save your hide one way or another.

16. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    "Sorry, I've been detained at the airport... Yeah, little taco shell stuck in my teeth, I got busted for a toothpick"

For Taco Bell I recommend the chicken quesadilla. Not TOO mexican in flavor, if nothing suits your pallet it's a nice in-between.

17. cbff

cbff Destroyer of Botcon

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Cheesy Beefy Melt or Double Decker, neither choice is wrong.

18. llamatron

News Credits:
  19. llamatron

News Credits:
    I aim to eat one of these:

[​IMG]

I cannot wait. Also, I assume that you don't need to tip fast food places, yes?

20. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    Probably they're afraid of getting some kind of insect or microbe in on the wood that would act as an invasive species and just walk up and down over the natural Australian wildlife. It's happened often enough in their history already, like the whole cane toad thing.

I mean, fuck, imagine if pine beetle managed to get into Australia and found some of their trees palatable.