Telemocha TM-02 Beast Megatron (BW Megatron) Review

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by ComicGuy89, Mar 20, 2010.

1. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This morning I posted my review of Telemocha Optimus Primal. The Telemocha line is Takara's version of the Beast Wars 10th Anniversary and similarly many old molds were repainted with very show accurate colors. Interestingly, Optimus Primal and Megatron had two additional molds repainted, that of the Robot Masters Deluxe figures. This is a look at Megatron.

BEAST MODE

[​IMG]

In my opinion, Megatron has a fantastic beast mode! He looks menacing and very cool. The colors are spot-on to the show (especially those red eyes!) and the proportions are great. Sculpting is wonderful all-round.

[​IMG]

Megatron in beast mode is more articulated than one would expect. He has knee joints and ball jointed arms and thighs. Even cooler, he has a nice articulated jaw that opens to reveal a detailed set of teeth and a tongue!

[​IMG]

Overall, excellent beast mode!

9/10

ROBOT MODE

[​IMG]

While the beast mode is certainly awesome, the robot mode is no slacker. Megatron in this mode is very show accurate, right down to that scowl that he sometimes uses in the show. The colors are a vast improvement (in terms of show accuracy) to the Robot Masters' version. He is armed with what I believe is everything the Ultra had, namely the dinosaur head, the tail weapon, and sculpted laser cannons at this thighs.

[​IMG]

One difference compared to the Ultra release is that his tail weapon is now removable. The underlying arm looks a bit gimpy, but this is nonetheless a great feature.

[​IMG]

The articulation of this guy is astounding. He sports knee joints, hinged feet, waist articulation, a ball-jointed neck, a joint on his left elbow, and full-range thighs and shoulders. What's more, his dinosaur-head arm can be rotated and is double jointed at the arm (sort-of) giving him tremendous range of motion for it! Finally, his feet have useful heel spurs and are large, making him very stable in a lot of poses.

An excellent robot mode all round!

9.5/10

STABILITY ISSUES
    This figure would certainly have scored big if not for a few serious problems. First of all, his thigh joints feel very brittle. When twisted, an audible (and frightening) scratching sound could be heard and tiny bits of white plastic would fall out, like sanded plastic. They really feel like they would break at any moment. Right now, the thigh joints, while tight, are wobbly at their base (where it connects to his hips) and it seems that no amount of nail polish or Future Floor finish would fix it.

[​IMG]

A design flaw, in my opinion, is in how the torso connects to his back. The two connectors are minuscule and thus, the connection is often loose. This really affects the figure at times because of how his torso would just hang there, separated from his back.

CONCLUSION

In a nutshell, this figure is actually pretty awesome, maybe more so than Optimus Primal, but I feel that his wonky thigh joints and poor connectors really pull down the score for this figure. Awesome as a toy is, it's no fun to pose and play with him if he keeps disconnecting at the torso and if his thighs threaten to break at the slightest pressure. As such, the final score is:

8.0/10

These issues may be just for my figure, and you may not have the same problems. If not for these issues, the score would be:

9.5/10

Thanks for reading and here are some random shots of Primal and Megatron together:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. mugen_prime

mugen_prime Well-Known Member

I got this Megs shortly after getting Primal. I gotta say I'm quite pleased with him as well. I don't think mine really has the issues you mentioned. My only complaint is how the hip kibble can be blocked by the back kibble at times. Another great review of a great figure ComicGuy!

3. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks a lot! I figured it might just be my figure so I gave two ratings for it. This really is a great figure, but the issues with mine were frustrating.

4. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    huh mine does not have any of the problems you stated
    i wasnt going to get him an primal as i had the original RM release, but bbts clearenced them at $30 for both of them so i grabbed them

5. Demonicon

Demonicon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This looks like a really nice figure. While I got the TM-01 Beast Convoy, I'm likely more apt to pursue the TRU 2-Pack version of the original Ultra toy for scale purposes.

6. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    These Telemocha look perfect in a Classics/Henkei collection. Got both of them, plus Robot Masters Lio Convoy. They're beautiful.

The dino face reminds me of Ben Stiller, though.

7. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    [​IMG]
    These blend extremely well with Classics/Henkei Beasts :D 

8. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like how Megatron actually has a hand.