Telemocha TM-01 Beast Convoy (Optimus Primal) Review

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by ComicGuy89, Mar 20, 2010.

1. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Was playing with my Primal and Megatron the other day, and I suddenly had an inspiration to do reviews! So here goes.

The Telemocha line is Takara's version of the Beast Wars 10th Anniversary and similarly many old molds were repainted with very show accurate colors. Interestingly, Optimus Primal and Megatron had two additional molds repainted, that of the Robot Masters Deluxe figures. This is a look at Primal.

BEAST MODE
    [​IMG]

Optimus Primal certainly looks the part all right, even if the resemblance isn't a 100% there. He has great sculpt lines all over his fur, and really does look like a miniature version of the Ultra-sized figure. Here however, in my opinion at least, he looks a wee bit more gentle compared to the fierce and hulking gorilla of the Ultra size class. Your mileage may vary among these two.

[​IMG]

Poseability isn't the best in this mode, but it does most of what the Ultra can do. The most static parts are the legs, but even those can do limited poses. Overall a decent beast mode.

7.5/10

[​IMG]

ROBOT MODE

Transformation is easy and satisfying. The result is a fairly impressive robot mode, which looks very show-accurate. His head sculpt is really good, and the paint job uses a great selection of colors.

[​IMG]

Optimus has full range of motion for his neck, elbows, shoulders, and thighs. He has a waist joint, and his feet can bend. However, he does not have wrist joints.

[​IMG]

As Maximal leader, he is remarkably armed (especially for a Deluxe). Optimus comes with two swords that can be stored in his back, and shoulder cannons that can flip forward.

[​IMG]

What's nice is that he now has proper wrist launchers, something I believe the Ultra does not. They don't pop out the best, but look great and are a nice addition to his already impressive arsenal.

[​IMG]

Here's a look at his jetpack (yes he has one!) and how the swords and cannons are stored.

[​IMG]

This figure, nice as it is, isn't perfect. The hinge that connects the back cover piece, as seen above, is extremely fragile and keeps coming off. Granted, it can be just as easily reattached, but I've noticed that my Primal's hinge is starting to wear out. I'd suggest opening the back piece vertically, using your index finger to support the base while using your thumb to pull at the bottom. Do not try to pull from the sides. That way you will not give stress to the hinge. Since using this method, my Primal's back seldom pops off.

Also, Optimus has a few problems standing because of his feet shape (which are rounded) and because he is a little back heavy. Finally mine had a bit of slop in the paint, but this seems an isolated case.

Other than that, a truly amazing robot mode.

9.5/10

CONCLUSION

Overall, a great figure that I've come to appreciate more and more over time. Nice beast mode, great robot mode, at a portable size! You can still pick this guy up on eBay so if you're a big fan of Optimus Primal and especially of his Season 1 body, this is highly recommended. The review of Megatron is here.

9.0/10

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  2. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun UNLEASHED!

News Credits:
    I love the head sculpt on this toy, I hope I can track one down for a decent price.

3. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    love that mold, got both of him
    what the original RM release had was a little connector allowing you to put the swords together

4. mugen_prime

mugen_prime Well-Known Member

I just got this guy like half a year ago. I think it's a great figure! I never got the Ultra sized one, and I think this one looks much more show accurate. I especially like the wrist launchers on this guy as opposed to the Ultra. Great review!!

5. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    I love this figure, one of my favorite toys I own

6. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for reading guys!

7. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Great review.

This is definitely the Optimus Primal figure. I feel it scales nicely with both Transmetal Primal and Optimal Optimus; I'm not sure if it's show accurate, but considering they're both supposed to be upgrades, I like the correspoding increases in size. Note the head is repainted.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

8. Necrocom4

Necrocom4 Well-Known Member

loved the beast wars series. i never really bought any of the toys when they were being sold. now i want them all. i love most of the transmetal stuff of most the characters but optimus. his original first season and the optimal styles were my favorite.

do more beast wars figure reviews please.

9. Demonicon

Demonicon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Totally love this figure. I actually only got it a couple weeks ago. To me, it's like a Masterpiece Season 1 Primal. Correct size, show accurate sculpt/paint and all the gimmicks he used in the show.

10. Faxon

Faxon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I got this last year to go with my henkei dinobot. While he's not perfect, he's fun and probably the most show accurate season one primal we're going to get for a while.

11. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Got the original RobotMaster version when it was first released and it's still my favorite sculpt of Primal. Great little figure and even though the large one is really nice I like this one more. Figures like this one were truly the RobotMasters line at its best.

12. Pulverize

Pulverize Predacon

Loving this toy :) 

13. Drewdeluxe

Drewdeluxe The Lakers Nation

Ebay:
    I need this Primal but cannot find this anywhere.. Please help me!

14. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Yeah, I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, but there's also the Robot Masters figure, so I'm sure at least one of em will present themselves. Not like it matters now that I'm broke, but someday I'll have one of these guys. :) 

15. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    I really need to get ahold of this guy again. I sold my old one (and Megs) last year and have regretted it ever since.

16. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    This toy is epic, btw. I love it to pieces.

17. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's a great figure, I grabbed the RM version and painted it up show accurate. Looks great, and awesome review! Now if someone would just make a good KO of this the same size as the TM primal... Lol, anyone have contacts with the guys who used to run kotoys.com still? :lol 

18. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Haha, I wish.

Also, how much are these guys going for these days anyway?

19. Stygian360

Stygian360 Well-Known Member

I didn't come up with Beast Wars and haven't followed it on DVD, so my familiarity with these characters (other than the rather obvious Optimus and Megatron) is somewhat limited. That being said, I was first turned onto this BW mold via an excellent Frenzy/Rumble commission, and although yours isn't that commission, I still really like the overall simian look of this guy in alt mode. And he's not bad in bot mode either! I did purchase Cheetor when he was part of the recent Generations-like release, but overall wasn't completely satisfied with either of his modes. I wonder if I'd feel differently about Beast Wars Optimus? Your review may have swayed me.

20. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Well for me, the appeal of this guy has to do with how he's more show accurate in terms of scale to the other toys (the ultra class was WAY too big when compared to everything else), as well as how the colours/designs/face/handcannons are more like in the cgi.

Like, this isn't to say that I dislike the big one, but he's pretty much his own toy of sorts, rather than being the tv show's Optimus Primal.