Teenagers

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Dinobot Nuva, Oct 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    So I've been wondering a bit lately (yes, wondering, I'm literally snowed inside the house right now, though I'm thinking about setting up a tunnel system tomorow...). Are there any teenaged collectors out there? Being a native of a Bionicle forum I've met a couple young TF fans who don't act like complete toddlers (some of them are actually quite fluent with this stuff), but they're usually a lot younger than me, and the others are in college. I know the majority of the members on this board are adults or college students too, so sometimes I feel like the exception. That's not to say its a bad thing for me to be a collector (I'm actually running out of room for this stuff though...), I'm an athlete, have a social life, get good grades, and I think I'm sitting on a decent link in the foodchain called "High School" (and hey, I'm only a Sophomore), so like all the other collectors out there, I have a life outside of toys. I've gotten disgusting looks from picking up the last *insert rare TF here...it was probably Alt. Swerve* on the shelf right as an adult (who must've been a collector) walked up two seconds to late. I've heard stories about adult collectors being harassed by kids and/or their parents in the toy aisle before, and getting static from the cashiers. Right now I guess I'm at the midpoint, parents of little six year olds give me weird looks, while the kids usually start drilling me with questions about Transformers, I guess they don't count "kids" as strangers like some do when they see 30 year olds in the toy aisle. I don't even use my parents for TF money, I have a job and work hard for what cash I can earn, and set a budget for myself. Some people have asked me what I'm going to do with all this stuff. I figure I can enjoy it now, and when more important things come up later in life the TFs can be used to help pay for more imporant things like a house or supporting a family of my own. But right now, I think I'm just going to enjoy it for what its worth. So I'm interested to know how many other high schoolers are out there that collect. And what the adult fan base thinks about us too.
    DN

2. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Sophomore, huh... I guess that means you are about 16?

Damn, I feel old now. I turn 29 next friday...

3. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'm 30 and I remember how hard it was collecting in my teens. Luckily, there weren't any adult collectors of TFs in 1993. Hell, there weren't many TFs in 1993! The hardest part was trying to find money to keep buying TFs, while having enough left over for normal teen crap like gas money and junk food!

If you play your cards right, you'll never have to stop collecting. Good luck and enjoy the hobby!

4. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I often take for granted that most collectors are "my" age, and that they're collecting for the same reasons... childhood nostalgia mixed with just a straight up affection for toys. Of course, I'm always surprised when I meet teenagers who are also TF geeks like me. :) 

Also, I often have to remind myself that I'm not a kid anymore. I'm 32, though I generally pass for 22 and get treated that way by most folks. I'm not sure if that saves me from the weird looks I might get if I looked more "grown-up". I hardly ever get those reactions, and if I do, I usually laugh it off... "...that's right... I'm a grown-up toy geek. I love this stuff." I find that copping to it generally comes off better than being defensive about it. :) 

I collected toys until I was about 15, and then I got to vicariously enjoy my younger brother's cool toyst. I didn't fall back into buying toys until a friend brought me some Gundam stuff back from a trip to Japan when I was 24. From there it was steady path leading back to Transformers. :) 

My question to you is, if you're in High School, an athlete and comfortable in the "food chain", I'm wondering how your TF collecting is seen by others in your school? Is your collection common knowledge, or something you keep hidden away? It seems like at that age, so many people are trying to be more grown up that it would be easy to mock those who hold onto "childish things".

On the other hand, the current "geek culture" revolution seems to be making it more and more okay to hang onto those things. Video games, comic books, science-fiction, cartoons... it's everywhere. I remember how weird it was the day I was watching Family Guy, and it suddenly struck me that the cultural reference points were all aimed DIRECTLY at me and my age group... by us, for us... it was the first time I'd ever experienced that. My whole generation seems reluctant to grow up, preferring to languish in the materialistic trappings of childhood imagination.

any thoughts?

5. Psychrome86

Psychrome86 Well-Known Member

hey bro, i'm 20. started with generation 2 but power rangers kind of hijacked me. beast wars caught me at the tail end of season 3 and the internet did the rest.

6. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

Hi, my name's Frank, I'm 30, and I've been addicted to TFs since 1984.

I "grew up" in the middle of G2 during my teen years in the early 90's and, though I still liked them, I felt I was too old for them. I didn't collect any more until I got out of college in '99, though I did watch BW in college. I picked up collecting again, heavily, during RID and have been going pretty strong ever since. Nice to see some young blood in here!

7. Heat Guy

Heat Guy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm 18, I grew up on G2 reruns and then into Beast Wars. RiD brought me back into the fandom, then I moved to a place where I had Transformers available at the time of Armada. Then with the onset of Energon and Alternators, the rest is history.
    G1 from beginning to end...

8. DDM

DDM Super Steve

I'm 16 also.

I had gotten into them again after seeing a TF show on tv, and then pulling out my beastwars for nostalgia reasons.

Needless to say, I'm glad I have a job so I can buy some of the newer ones

9. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    15 here. Probably not the most mature kid you'll meet, but definately the most dedicated Transfan for my age! (Ask Junior, I've up with him a few times! :D  )

Uh...First TF was G1 Magnus, from my brother, when I was 3 I believe...

10. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Im 15 (class of 2009, UNITE!), I was hooked when my mom bought me G2 Turbofire and Skram (though they will ALWAYS be "Bob" and "Squirt" to me) back when I was...really little XD I think I must've been 2 years old at the time. I watched G2 almost religiously until UPN stopped airing it (boy was I one sad little kid).
    Heck, my mom would take me to a "collectors item store" or that's what I used to call it and I would buy w/e loose vintage G1 Micromasters, Minibots or Casseticons I could afford, I still have most of those in good condition (though my G2 toys are mostly junkers from play-ware, ah those were the days). So yeah, I started REALLY young compared to most people, heck I might be one of THE youngest. I've only gotten into serious collecting in the past year, but I have enough from each line that was released stateside IMO.
    SMOG- If people know about, its ok by me, but most of the time we're either playing bruiseball out behind the school (think rugby, with 30 guys, and a tennis ball). Several people know about it, the more anime oriented kids at my school are ok with it, but its not really something that's out there. If someone knows about it they might tease me until they walk into my room. They'll realize I'm not a little kid just from how many figures I have crammed on the shelf, and most of the time they end up respecting the hobby b/c of how huge and maintained my collection is.
    DN

11. Dreweido

Dreweido Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Pretty much same here but I had loads of tail-end G1 stuff (Target, Micro, Action masters).

My bro is gonna be 13 soon and he knows his TF stuff pretty dang well.

12. Master Megatron

Master Megatron Action Bastard

I'm only thirteen!

13. $5HotRod

$5HotRod Trailbreaker Fan

Ebay:
    I'm 28 and I'm happy that there are younger fans out there. It means that the chances TFs continuing for years to come increases.

I've been collecting now for about 2-and-a-half years now. I first saw Transformers back in 1984 and remember getting my first ones for Christmas when I was a kid. I got out of it though somehow, my brother and I saw Beast Wars and thought the show was fantastic. When Optimus Prime and the Ark showed up, we marked out at the awesomeness; however, I didn't start getting the toys again until I saw the Binaltech line. When I first saw BT Smokescreen, I had to have it. It was just too awesome not to have at the time. Then MP Convoy came out and I was one heck of a happy camper.

I've also gotten some disgusted looks from people. Even from ones that I helped, say pick up an item they dropped for them. One time, I picked up something for this lady and she noticed I had Cybertron Armorhide in my hand and this wicked sneer came across her face. Man, that made my blood damn near boil due to her narrowmindedness.

14. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Hello, my name is SPLIT LIP, and I'm a teenage collector and an old soul.

15. yami4ct

yami4ct Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm 15 going on 16. I started with beast wars reruns way back when, but I really associate with RiD. I stopped collecting a few years back and have started back up again. Primus brought me back.

16. DestronGenerals

DestronGenerals Well-Known Member

I'm a senior in highschool and I've been a dedicated transfan since I was three and saw my brothers tape of SOS Dinobots and got some of his old toys. I feel that I'm pretty mature for my age and even when I started on the boards when I was 13 or 14 some years ago I always identified with the older collectors. I think I was already past the marketed age of transformers at that point anyway. It's cool, I like the way it works.

17. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

I'm 25 but I act like i'm 16. :D 

18. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I'm 27, collecting since 95 (Star Wars) Played football, had friends, was comfortable in the HS food chain. I now have a Wife and kids, Work as a Mortgage Broker/ loans Officer and still go to the same Toys R Us I did back then.

I am somewhat private of my collection, but my close friends know and think it is pretty cool.

I do get the looks from the parents and the employees of the stores, but I usually shrug it off. Hell I could tell em that I have been collecting longer than they have been potty trained!

I figure after you get back into it, and as long as transformers keep re-inventing themselves to keep it interesting (unlike you StarWars!!) you can ride this out for a long time!

19. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    Well, i'm 26 now... but i was a teenaged collector once! Does that count?

Heh.

20. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

Only 23 and still been a fan since season one of G1.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.