Teen Hangs Herself After Her Boyfriend Circulated Nude Photo Of Her

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Optimus Convoy, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Wolfguard

Wolfguard Your own personal Jesus.

Jeez that solved everything. Seriously, none of this is worth your life.

:sly2: 

2. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

Yes. Indeed. Those words should be considered archaic.

BTW, should Madoff go on that list, or should we keep that word and get rid of Ponzi?

3. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Gravitas is mostly gone, but "killer app" still shows up once in a while.

I'd also like to never see "agent of change" again.

4. Little Nelly

Little Nelly Banned

Sup Dawgette, I bet you'd make a hot Octomommy dearest!

5. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Values and morals are relative things, stupidity is constant and there's no cure. Sorry.

6. awful_gollum

awful_gollum Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    :lol 

I so agree with you, Deceptikitty. Those words are just a pain to hear.:redface2: 

7. Soundwave84

Soundwave84 Banned

News Credits:
    Wow that is freaking sad what the hell that guys should be kicked in the balls

8. comaface

comaface Crush, kill, destroy

I am confused about the following two points:
    I'm assuming that the "somebody" is me, but I'm not sure what it is in the contents of my post you quoted that is leading you to this conclusion. Little help? :( 
    It seems as if you're laughing at me, but then you proceed to help prove my point. Thank you?
    Maybe I'm just paranoid and you're actually laughing with me? Little help? :( 

9. comaface

Nude photos and sex? Say it ain't so. Had she no shame?

10. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

A little of both I'd say. And watching a random car chase only proves that, there is nothing exceptional about the "newsworthiness" of most stories told. A car chase is a car chase unless it is OJ. The criteria for their "newsworthiness" depends entirely on how much airtime said story will take up on the twenty-four hour stations. It's blatant sensationalism and print media (dying as it is) is racing to catch-up. Take this story for instance. There is nothing exceptional about this story that makes it newsworthy beyond a local paper, a girl killed herself because she thought that her lifed sucked for various reasons included the "sexting," but there also could have been countless other reasons we don't know about. One small detail makes this suicide slightly different in circumstance from every other teenage suicide that you will never heard about nor care about. The media picked it for that detail, sensationalizies it, and runs it into the ground, but there is no real exception to the rule in this case. Next week it could be a biy kills himself because He didn't like the ending to Battlestar Galactica. Not to say that every news story is not a exception to the rule because certainly some are (Octomom for instance), but a majority of them are stories with little real "newsworthiness."

Unless that was your point and I miss read. Then sorry.

11. comaface

Well, I was specifically talking about incidents of 'sexting', but I think it can probably be extended to other news stories as well.

Car chases are fairly commonplace; they certainly aren't isolated incidents or anything. So why are they considered remotely newsworthy, even though they may seem pretty mundane? Because there are over 250 million cars, trucks, and motorcycles in the United States. And even though there are a lot of car chases and even more car thefts, their number is relatively small compared to the number that don't lead the police on a joyride. While the incident may not seem out of the ordinary, as a percentage of the whole it is, statistically speaking, out of the ordinary. They are still the exception to the rule.

Similarly, while I have no doubt that people sharing photos that were intended to be private is fairly commonplace, the fact that there are even news stories at all documenting specific instances of it occurring would seem to indicate that it is also the exception to the rule. Especially since many of those news stories go to great lengths to remind fearful parents or whatever just how large, as a whole, the number of teens engaging in 'sexting' is.

So basically, I feel that claiming that "all" private pictures will eventually be "spread like the black plague" simply because you've heard some tales of it happening is as ludicrous as claiming that all cars get stolen and taken on police chases simply because you see it on the news a lot. The fact that you can see it on the news or hear it as an interesting rumor or whatever is a pretty good indication that it doesn't happen literally all or even most of the time, because if it did then it wouldn't even be a story worth repeating.
    I mean, 20% of teens have apparently sent nude pictures to another teen. Does anyone really think that 1 out of every five high schoolers is currently having those pictures distributed around their school? You certainly wouldn't be hearing about suicides because of it... why would you even give a shit if the exact same thing was also happening to another few hundred other students, too?
    So I guess that was my point.

12. smkspy

Well, I certainly understand your point alot better now. At this point it's probably just arguing semantics.

13. comaface

Probably. Just different definitions of 'newsworthy'.
    I agree that most news stories are rather mundane but get overblown and sensationalized. Although this story is somewhat exceptional, as the media very rarely reports suicides explicitly. The fact that they're currently on a bit of an 'OMG lock up your children before teh SEXting gets them' binge probably factors into it.

14. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Sure. It was the extremely dry and clinical way you referenced "sexting" (which is still a stupid word). You distanced yourself from it with the language you employed, talking about it as a phenomenon more that an everyday occurrence...despite simultaneously emphasizing how common it's supposed to me.

But hell, man, I've never gotten one either. One time I was promised boob shots, but it turns out my phone doesn't get 'em. :( 

15. smkspy

I got one once a few years ago...they're overrated. Camera phones suck. Never knew there was a word for it until this thread. I prefer live and in person, or at the very least, on dvd.

16. comaface

It's hard to not sound dry and clinical when you're quoting statistics. It might've been a reflection of my distaste for the word, which is an obnoxious buzzword that is nevertheless a pretty succinct description. I think that also might just be how I write when I'm arguing, unless I feel like going on a rant.

I've never gotten any, um, sexts... but that might be because I don't own a cell phone (and never plan to). If it makes any difference, I have or have had in my possession over 600 nude pictures of a half-dozen different exes, which I find better than 'sexting' anyway, for a number of reasons.
    And since it is at least marginally relevant: no, I have never shared them, except one who specifically stated that she didn't mind as long as I didn't stick them on the internet or something.