Techspecs anyone?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Chaos Prime, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

I've noticed something over the years as a Transformers fan and collector. What's happened to the bio and techspecs that came with the Transformers?
    I mean who remembers the bios from G1? I still have most of my old bio + techspec cards cut out from the boxes from my old G1 figures. Beast Wars, and Beast Machines as well. But G1 had the best bios.
    I mean you knew their personalities, weapons, and individual skills. The old bios gave each and every Transformer, no matter how big or small, a personal history, or what they were like, how their weapons worked. They went into such detail, that each character had depth, and they provided you so much more than just a toy. Beast Wars and Beast Machines had good bios as well, maybe not to the depth of G1, but they were decent.
    Each Bio for every Transformer gave you their name, alligence, function, quote, bio, followed by the # sigh.....er I mean techspecs...I mean, you practically knew what they had for breakfast every morning.
    And to this day, I have not seen that much attention to detail in a lot of the new Transformers series.
    When RID came out I saw the worst bios.
    'This is Optimus Prime! He's a good guy! He's a firetruck! He's red! YAAY!' I mean that was pretty much it. And smaller guys like Slapper, Gaskunk, and....Squirrel...scream? Who ever that other fool was never came with bios. Smaller Decepticons, or Nightcruz, and any of the basic sized figures didn't come with anything close to a bio. And all the time, I was like 'wtf?!'
    I don't even remember seeing any bios for Armada, Energon, or Cybertron....Well....Maybe Cybertron. Yea Cybertron did have them, but they weren't too great.
    I mean...am I alone in this? Are their other people out their who want to see a complete bio of the character they're buying?
    I noticed the movie figures bios are ok...Could be better. I'm hoping in future Transformers, the bios will return, only better then what we're seeing today. I would like that. :) 

2. chaosbringer_00

chaosbringer_00 I am indescribable.

I think that, to a certain extent, you are absolutely right. However, I must disagree with you on one point: I think that the Energon bios were very well done. Not as good as G1, mind, but I think they were very well written. I still remember the opening sentence from Energon Rodimus' techspec: "Rodimus teaches Decepticons two very important lessons: run and hide." Or something like that, anyway. But I digress. If there is one thing that G1 did indisputably better than its successors, it is thecspecs. Though, like you said, the Movie techspecs are at least a little bit better than the last bunch. We can only hope that they continue to get better.

3. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

I don't remember Energons techspecs at all. I remember the cards some of them came with, but I think they just had their stats, minus the bio. But I could be wrong.

4. chaosbringer_00

chaosbringer_00 I am indescribable.

You're right about that. The actual bios, though, on the boxes and/or online (which is where I recall reading most of them) where well-done, in my opinion.

5. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah Energon card was boring, but at least there was a card.

RiD specs were funny in a way, the function for Sky-Byte is "Shark"?, sure...

6. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Hey, sharking is an important function that no military organization could do without. I find your downplaying of sharking's importance HIGHLY offensive!

7. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    While I'm not a "Takara Rules, Hasbro Drools" kind of fan, this is one area where I do appreciate Takara going that extra mile, by including a collector card with a brief bio and tech specs for every figure.

In fact, I've got a nice collection of them over the years, and they're pretty cool, though in Japanese. Fortunately for those of us who aren't fluent, there are websites that have translations availalble.

There's even some humor, with bits like CR Valdigus (Bruticus) likes cream in his coffee, which he drinks every morning on Earth.

8. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    cybertron had some kickass bios.

9. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    How about Team Bullet Train's function, then?