Customs: Techniques for cutting/gluing styrene panels?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Agamus, Jul 28, 2017.

1. Agamus

Agamus Not an Iguana

Working on some upgrade combination parts (arm extension for Rotor, new feet attachments, etc) for my RID '01 Ruination, and I'd like some tips for how to measure, cut, and glue.

I already have .125" and .060" panels that seem to fit snugly, as well as a bottle of Plastruct Plastic Weld and an old jewelery saw handle (getting a new blade soon). Please & Thanks!

[I also need advice on drilling 5mm holes]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  2. DarkProwler

DarkProwler Well-Known Member

There are a bunch of entries in the tutorial section about working with styrene

3. Agamus

Agamus Not an Iguana

Under "Basics of Scratch-Building" --none of that's for stock styrene sheets. I tried scoring and breaking, but it doesn't work well on plastic as thick as 1/8". Especially not for something as precise as what i'm planning.

4. Yaujta

Yaujta Broken. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Score a few times while using a metal ruler. It'll cause the plastic to need sanded on the cut plane, but it works.
    Also, for thicker pieces, I sometimes rough cut the general shape I want with a jewelry saw, then use files to complete the shape.

For 5mm holes, drill slowly with a bit that's smaller, then work up to the 5mm size. This allows for more control and prevents the plastic from melting from the drill speed.

• Like Like x 1