Fan Art: [TechnicallyQuestionbutWhatevs]What happens when your creative fuel runs dry?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Stonecrusher, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Stonecrusher

Stonecrusher jerk to storytelling

News Credits:
    I ask this as I think I'm running low on fuel for the creative fire, and I wanna keep it lit, not just for me but for a few friends of mine. How would you ignite the flame of creativity?

2. Yaujta

Yaujta Broken. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If I've been working on stuff for too long, I start feeling drained and the desire to continue wanes. I don't want to leave a project unfinished, but if the desire isn't there, the end result of 'making yourself do it' won't be satisfying.
    So, I take a break. Maybe a couple of days or even weeks. Whatever it takes to feel encouraged to dive back in. Stepping away from a project is revitalizing, so when you pick it back up, you may have fresh ideas and take the project to a new level.

3. chroma23

chroma23 douchbag

Facebook:
    take a break. unless you are under some sort of commission for someone or some deadline to meet (customs contest for a convention for example), you are under no obligation to be forcing yourself to do this even if you dont feel like it. you will not accomplish much if you force yourself anyways, so its better to go into hiatus and enjoy other things in life for a bit

dont forget that this is just a hobby. dont let the hobby control you, should be the other way

4. RavageX-9

RavageX-9 I don't know

Ebay:
    People have a vast variety of difference in their lives, but I think these strategies are reflective of a couple factors: experience, and cycles of exertion and rest.

If you lead an interesting life, there is plenty to take inspiration from, and it will just come to you, maybe after a night of dreaming and processing of all that exposure. A variety of experiences will blend together to give you more interesting inspiration. I think it's why people with multiple interests can bring more to a particular discipline than someone who's exclusively specialized. When you mix things you get new results. eg: Mystical alchemy inspired Sigmund Freud and Carl Jung while developing modern psychotherapy.

While some people work like crazy and others are laid back, the body is universal in it's need for being utilized sufficiently and being allowed to recover. Physical exercise helps the mind to function efficiently and lack of physical health is a detriment to mental activity, despite the old stereotype of the intellectual who forgoes the needs of the body.
    There's something called the pomodoro technique where you work continuously for 25 minutes and rest for 3-5, and repeat.
    I've heard some artists talk about how they hate to break out of their "zone" of concentration and they prefer to just keep going until it's done, but I think it does you a disservice, and you weaken your ability to enter the zone, in addition to burning yourself out.
    Rocco of Mega64 mentioned in a YouTube video where he talked about the late Monty from Rooster Teeth how he worked so hard that he'd sleep for a few hours at work just to go back to it. They were both workaholics. The main message was that even small amounts of time add up, and it was told through Monty mentioning to Rocco that he only presses the 30 second button on the microwave. "It's all about efficiency." While Rocco was really inspired by his work ethic, I took the opposite message.

5. Stonecrusher

Stonecrusher jerk to storytelling

News Credits:
    Thanks, you guys.