Tech Help - New HDTV

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TreKain, May 15, 2007.

1. TreKain

TreKain Made of Sterner Stuff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ok so I just moved and decided to start fresh at the new place with a new LCD HDTV. The cable guy came by to hook us up (while I was at work, so mom oversaw the installation) When I got home and checked out the setup, I'm a little confused. I have a HD Digital cable box with both a coax and hdmi cables out to the TV. Am I using the Coax is the TV if looking at the HDMI?

I also need some recommendations of the best way to set up the rest of the system. I have a new home theater (dvd/surround sound), ps2, and wii that need to get connected. What cables need to be bought, and how am i connecting everything. I have tons of component cables from the old setup, but should I be using anything newer now? I need to route the games thru the home theater to get audio thru the surround speakers, right?

2. MatrixKeeper108

MatrixKeeper108 One With The Matrix

The Coax should go right into the cable box, but an HDMI cable should come out of your box and into your TV for the best possible picture. Also, don't be tricked into buying an over-expensive HDMI cable, it's a digital cable, not analog, so as long as you're not buying something that will literally fall apart, it'll look great.

As for the Wii and PS2, the best image quality you'll get out of those is with component cables. Most HDTVs have multiple component inputs right on the back. With this set up you just have to hit the 'source' (or something similar) button on your TV to switch between cable/PS2/Wii. The DVD player will most likely be component as well.

As for sound, if you have optical out on your TV, and your sound system supports it, that's the way to go. One cable, no mess, great quality.

3. TreKain

News Credits:
    Unfortunately although my TV has optical out, the sound system doesnt have optical in.

4. MatrixKeeper108

What options are there?

5. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

You have to figure out if you want the TV speaker on or off.

I hate most TV speakers.

I like to wire my other stuff direct to the reciever and not the TV if I had a Non-optical amp.

However, this means to either have a universal remote or the reciever remote.

If you like your Home Theater of good quality, you may want to invest in a Optical Compatible Reciever sometime, in order to get some decent sound, then I would wire everything to the TV (and not the amp) at that point.

And this way of optical wiring makes it super easy.

But, In your case I would say wire all to amp.

6. TreKain

News Credits:
    Yeah I hate the TV speaker too and would like nothing better than to never use it and have the sound coming from the surround speakers at all times, for tv, movies, and games.

So with optical out of the question right now, Im guessing the connections should look like this:

Coax into the Cable Box
    HDMI out of cable box into dvd/sound system
    HDMI out of DVD/sound system into HDTV
    Component (Red/Yellow/White) out of PS2 into dvd/sound system
    Component out of Wii into dvd/sound system.

For the Wii...i used to use the red/yellow/white component cables, but there is also the 5 plug component cable avalable (Do I have my cable names correct?) Is picking up this cable worth it?

Does this (non-optical) setup sound right?

Also I plan on investing in one of those super universal remotes that connects to the PC to program, can make macros to turn everything on, etc. Anyone know anything about those and have any reccommendations?

Also: didnt realize that with getting the HD Cable...that I'd still be watching most cable tv in standard def...really just the networks and a small handful of cable stations broadcast in HD :(  Sucks to channel surf when the non-hd stations are still at channels 2-13 and the HD versions are channels 700-something.

7. Toonces

Toonces Domo

Ebay:
    The Wii didn't come with the 5 plug cables? You want your Wii in HD I assume so yes, you definatly wanna pick up the other cables. My 360 came with them already.

Yeah, it sucks. At least there is Hockey on in HD almost every night for the next couple weeks. :D  More and more stations are going to be making the transition to HD, so I wouldn't be too sad, its growing every day.

8. b_ack51

b_ack51 I'm on the interweb!

Coax cable from wall to cable box
    HDMI cord from cable box to either HDtv or receiver (depending on what you have)
    -> if you have HDMI cord going into a receiver, then you need another HDMI cord from receiver to HDtv
    <if you do not have optical in, do you have digital in>

DVD player - probably gonna be composite, but possibility of having the upconvert dvd player in which you'd want to use HDMI cord for that
    Composite (Yellow, red & white audio) out of PS2 into HDtv or receiver (i believe you can purchase the component cables for PS2 if you want)
    Composite out of Wii into HDTV or receiver (i believe you can purchase the component cables for the Wii if you want) Not sure if theres a point in the component cables for the Wii due to it being only 480p but thats your choice. (Not a wii expert so maybe someone else will say its worth it)

Look online there are plenty of places to purchase hdmi cords for $10 or less. And to answer your question,
    composite = yellow,red/white audio
    component (HD) = blue, green, red, white/red audio

For remotes, check fatwallet every once and awhile a logitech harmony remote will go on sale. I got the model 880 remote, love it. Easy to use, easy to set up. [​IMG]

9. MatrixKeeper108

Component is worth it for both the Wii and PS2, especially on an HDTV. The Picture will only be slightly sharper, but the colors will be MUCH more vivid, and in turn make objects much more distinguishable. So component = totally worth it. There's almost no point to composite if you're hooking up to an HDTV.

And the Harmony remote suggested above is a great buy. All of the Harmony remotes from logitech are fantastic buys, and will save you a ton of anguish.

10. TreKain

News Credits:
    Ok...so I need to pick up THIS for the PS2, and THIS for the Wii...right?

11. MatrixKeeper108

yessir

12. TreKain

News Credits:
    OK...now after reading all this and looking at the back of all my equipment. I think im missing something.

I think I need to describe what things are looking like.

TV-
    1 coax/antenna in - currently to cable box
    1 hdmi/dvi in - currently to cable box - as mentioned in original post, installer put both
    2nd hdmi in
    2x component in
    2x composite in
    1x composite out
    1x optical out

DVD/Home Theater
    5.1 speaker connections
    1x HDMI AV OUT
    1x component OUT

So....apparently all the inputs for the 2 game systems are on the TV. Also apparently there is no inputs at all on the DVD/Home theater. So am I missing something? Or is the HDMI Bi-directional? The only thing that will play out the surround speakers is the DVD player?

With this setup it seems this is the way I have to set it up:
    Wall <---coax--->Digital Cable Box
    Cable box <---hdmi---> TV HDMI IN 1
    DVD/Home theater <---hdmi---> TV HDMI IN 2
    Wii <---component---> TV Component IN 1
    PS2 <---component---> TV Component IN 2

help... :(  this isnt fun anymore...why arent there any online guides how to do this stuff?

13. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    What brand/model is your DVD/sound system?

14. TreKain

News Credits:
    TV - LG 42" Flat-Panel LCD HDTV
    Model: 42LC7D

Home Theater - Panasonic 1000W 5.1-Channel XM-Ready Home Theater System with 5-Disc DVD/CD/JPEG Player
    Model: SC-PT650

15. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    From what I can see, it looks like your sound system doesn't have any inputs other than a headphone jack, so you may have to upgrade.

EDIT: I'm wrong, it looks like it also has two RCA inputs, but no digital input. To get it to work, you would need a normal red/white RCA audio cable hooked between the RCA audio out on the TV, and the RCA audio in on the receiver.

It won't be digital sound, but it should work.

16. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just wanna add: I'm finding this thread very helpful too.

Guessing I should probably look into moving out of the old Yellow/White/Red cables on my HDTV, aheh.

17. b_ack51

b_ack51 I'm on the interweb!

Let me look into your model sound system and see what I see on the back of it.

I would to upgrade that personally, those dvd theater sound systems in a box are usually crummy.

Cool to hear the wii and ps2 are worth getting the component, I try to put the best cables for each system if possible but I don't have a wii so wasn't sure. I have heard the ps2 with component cables and HDtv with Gran Turismo looks bad ass.

Definately look into the logitech remotes, I paid just over a $100 for the one I got brand new. Just had to wait for the right sale. Love it, love to use it, other people who come over enjoy it too cause its simple to use.

18. MatrixKeeper108

AHA! Your sound system is also your DVD player. This was messing with my head, cause I couldn't think why the sound system didn't have the right hookups.

OK! Here's EXACTLY how it's going to work.

Wall <---coax--->Digital Cable Box
    Cable box <---hdmi---> TV HDMI IN 1
    DVD/Home theater <---hdmi---> TV HDMI IN 2
    Wii <---component---> TV Component IN 1
    PS2 <---component---> TV Component IN 2

What you have here so far is right. The only problem that remains is getting external sources like the cable and the Wii to use the sound system. On the back of your sound system are just some basic audio inputs, the red and white analog ones. There will be a red and white output on your TV to match. This means you will have BOTH an HDMI cable AND the analog cables going from your TV to your DVD/Sound system.

A good pair of analog cables can be found for the right price if you look around, but because they are analog, make sure they are of a good quality. Most anything that says its Gold will produce the best results.

19. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I already said that like 2 hours ago.

20. TreKain

News Credits:
    Ok. So the hdmi Is one way DVD --> TV but that will be picture for playing dvds(sound stays with the speaker on the home theater). The analog audio cables are going the opposite way DVD <-- TV , this will take the audio from everything else TV, Games connected thru tv, etc. and play on the Aux channel thru the surround speakers. That sound right?

EDIT: Just tested it out and it works. Nice. I'll switch out the sound system, dvd for proper separate units when the funds are available, but this will suffice for now. I'll make sure to keep an eye out for the optical audio if thats the way to go. Thx for all the help guys.