Tech heads - SATA to SCSI question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ops_was_a_truck, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Okay, so I've obviously missed the boat on the change from SCSI to SATA, or maybe I'm just an idiot. I purchased a Samsung 400 Gig Hard Drive from Newegg.com and I was installing it today and...fuuuuuck. It's got an SATA connection, which I've never seen on a hard drive before.

So, I went online to find out how to bridge an SCSI cable to an SATA hard drive and...it's a fucking $100 card!? OMFG! That means I get to waste even MORE cash on this upgrade! I JUST LOVE SPENDING MORE MONEY!

So, yeah. RRRrrrrgh. Is there a way I can make this connection for cheaper? Is there, by chance, any sort of simple SCSI to SATA cable, or do I actually have to get one of these cards?

The Hard Drive in question: 400 gigs for $109? SWEET!

The SATA to SCSI adapter: Nearly the price of a new hard drive for a fucking ADAPTER?! LAME!

2. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

Do you have a free PCI slot?? You can get SATA PCI cards readily for <<$100.

3. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Don't bother with an adapter. If you have an extra PCI slot, buy an SATA controller card. You can get one for less than $20 at Newegg.

Also, is this an old computer? Most computers have onboard SATA. Aside from servers and high end workstations, SCSI really isn't used very much anymore.

4. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    Yeah, it's old. Around 2001-2002 computer. I've been out of the "add new hardware" loop for a while.

EDIT: I'm going to check in a while if I've got any spare PCI slots open.

5. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    Yeah dude.... SATA is the new thing. Regular IDE drives are going the way of the dodo, just like AGP video cards...

I joined the SATA bandwagon a few months ago and was as clueless as you! Things change so fast in the PC world, it's insane.

6. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    You can buy an adaptor our store sells em for like $12 cdn or you can buy an external encolsure for like $20 or a pci card for under $30

7. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    Aight, got another one for y'all. the DVDR drive I bought won't burn anything DVD. It's handling CDs fine, but for some reason, it won't burn DVD video or data at all. I'm doing my research right now (i.e., reading through the newegg product reviews) and haven't found anything yet. This is the product:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827151133

...and, so far, I've tried a variety of burning programs (Nero, some el cheapo DVD Burning software off the 'net and 1ClickDVDCopy) and it won't burn anything. Each time, the write fails at the very end and I've recieved various errors, all along the lines of "write error while attempting to close disk."

I'm wondering if it's the DVD+R discs themselves; I've got a pack of Office Depot 16x DVD+R discs that I've been using and so far, none of them have worked.

I'm confused. As far as I can figure, this could be an issue where I don't have the right software...or the hardware might be messed up...or the discs I'm using may be the wrong type. So, that brings me back to...oh yeah! Square one.

RRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh. I hate self tech support.

8. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Are you burning your DVDs as an ISO? Ive seen that error when people just try to burn the video file to a DVD.

9. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    Actually, I'm not really sure. I know that, in Nero, it'll tell me that the DVD is a DVD ISO. Where would I check that?

10. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Office Depot media is usually made by Ritek. This stuff isn't always the best quality which can cause problems with some drives.

I'd try updating your drive's firmware. You can get the latest version (SB04) from www.samsungodd.com.

11. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Everything is Awesome

News Credits:
    Is it a DVD + / - R drive? You may just have the wrong type of disk. I've done that before. Many older drives are just + or -, not both.

12. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    Well, as of 1am last night, I got the thing to burn me a DVD video. I had, apparently, updated the firmware to an older release the first time I did the update. I went back to the site Pimpimus had pointed out to me (which was, oddly enough, different from the one their meager tech support offered me) and downloaded that firmware update. I also updated Nero. So, yay. My DVD burner seems to be working well.

Also, it looks like I've got a PCI slot open. I'm thinking it might - MIGHT - be time to take the old modem card out. :redface2: 

13. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    Is it at least a 56k modem? :lol 

14. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    2400 BPS FTW!

Naw, it's a 56k. Like I said, this 'puter's old. :) 

Going over to the one store in Northern Virginia that has computer parts this evening to pick up that SATA-to-SCSI PCI card and the right cables for it. 1 hour to go!

15. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    I'm giving up on this. I spent the morning and afternoon trying different connection setups for this hard drive and nothing's working. I picked up the PCI card that handles SATA and SCSI connections and I'm just having a bitch of a time getting the stuff to connect. I'm going to mail it back to Newegg and get my cash back so I can get an older 250 gig SCSI HD.

...also, it seems like setting up this older computer to handle a 400 gig SATA HD is simply beyond my understanding and, honestly, I know a smaller SCSI hard drive will do the trick. It'll also save me time and headache.

:(  Ah well. At least I now know what I'll be working with once I buy a new computer.

16. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i used a scsi drive on a super 486 when the pentium came out and was like oh shit this thing is fast.

also, i'm old.

sata sound like yatta

17. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Some HDDs have jumpers on them that limit their available space so older MBs can handle them, but I think that even 250 GB may be too much for some older computers. I think the limit some MBs were set at was something like 120 GB (maybe much less).

18. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

^^yeah, there were several levels of limitations on HDD sizes, all depends on the age of the machine/installed OS.