Team Fortress 2 is the...

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Prisoner1138, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    shiznit!(do kids say that these days? oh well).

The classes all play the same as the original for the most part, the medic is a little better(so people will want to play it). The graphics are pretty damn good for as dated as the engine is, but at the same time it stays silky smooth even at 1680*1050.

2 forts is still the same old 2 forts, but visually looks different. A lot of added detail, miscellaneous objects to make the place look less bland. Even all of the characters and their weapons have a very distinct look to them, gives them a lot of character.

The control point gameplay: This was the one thing I figured would sink this game, turning it into another battlefield 1942 clone. Thank god they didn't do that. One team is on offense, another on defense. You switch back and forth between rounds. On the gravelpit map that I played for a bit, on offense you need to cap 2 points(not in any order) to be able to cap the third point. You can take points back on defense until they're completely captured, at which time you need to fall back. The spawns are at the same spawn rooms on the map, so you don't spawn at the capture points.

There's some minor tweaks I noticed to a few classes

The sentry guns don't deploy instantly. Which is nice, since you can nail them while they're being setup, and an engy can't just drop one right in front of himself to kill you if he's cornered. The teleporter he can setup for his team is also cool. And of course a dispenser too.

The medic builds up a charge gauge for a super shot, when he does that on someone, they get an extra 100 health ontop of their max!

The demoman sticky and regular grenades are seperate launchers.

Spies can be seen if they're moving around right in front of you.

It took 'em 11 or 12 years, but they finally did it. A kick-ass, fun to play ,class based, team oriented game, that isn't another wannabe realistic war game.

2. Vialli

Vialli Fantastic

I'm still happy playing Fortress Forever, brings back that old fuzzy feeling of blowing someone to bits with a rocket :D 

3. kitenai

kitenai Member

awesome i was praying that 2fort would still be around for the new one :)  how did you manage to play it? has there been balances put in? like for snipers and such?

4. Savanna

Savanna Want to Touch my Wankel?

If you pre-ordered the PC version of Orange Box on Steam you could play the TF2 Beta which started yesterday.

5. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    What, so an army of snipers from each team doesn't sit in the balcony all day? The bridge has a roof, and engineers can setup their teleporters. I didn't bother to see if there was a max range for the entrance and exit for the teleporter, but it's only one way.

6. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    I will be checking this out when the Orange Box is released. What an awesome deal that is. I never got to play Half life 2.

7. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YAAAAAAAY

I'm so happy to hear this is turning out well. :D  Team Fortress Classic was always my absolute favourite online FPS in terms of sheer fun. So many hours lost to 2fort. Ahh.

8. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It is an example of what more people should do with FPS, and by this I am also refering to Half Life 1

9. CompuGlobal HyperMegatron

CompuGlobal HyperMegatron Nobody summons Megatron

Man TFC was a BLAST. I loved playing the Medic and waiting at spawn exits, infecting an enemy, then running away.

Throughout the next 20 minutes I just rack up the kills because the person I infected was stupid and ran back into the spawn chamber. Good times, good times.

10. Savanna

And how many times did you get kicked from servers for spawn camping?

11. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

Pyro for life. Can't wait to play the new one.

12. CompuGlobal HyperMegatron

Never? I would wait there while our scout was getting the flag, pop someone then leave.

13. Savanna

All servers I played there would be a kick for any sort of spawn camping that was more than a random happening.

14. CompuGlobal HyperMegatron

It's not as though I waited there for the entire match infecting people as they came out. I would run in on the trail of the scout, he'd go for the flag, and instead of running down to give him back-up, I'd wait the 30 seconds for him to run back up with it at the exit to the spawn.

If that's spawn camping then I guess I don't care cause I thought it was hilarious. All it takes is leaving the spawn to stop the spread, but no one ever did that.

15. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Medic infection and trying to successfully blend in as a Spy were two fun timesinks. :D 

16. Dusty

Dusty Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I guess I shouldn't say I am SUPRISED there isn't more discussion about this considering Halo fever, but...wow...where's all the discussion about this?

Everyone at my office has been playing it during lunch and after work, so it's weird seeing almost no one talking about it here.

I'm getting pretty good with a spy...;) 

-D

17. Savanna

Then your friends pre-ordered and are playing the Beta. I myself didn't pre-order, but have seen enuf from my bro who did. Talk might be low maybe just because of how dam long it took for TF2 to get its release. More than a few gave up on it like Duke Nukem.

18. ShockWave_AZ

ShockWave_AZ Shock and Awe

News Credits:
    I would play Duke Nukem against a friend over a DIAL-UP modem, talk about a lag-fest. I look back and still cannot believe it worked. And Duke Nukem ran in DOS!

19. Dusty

Dusty Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, but that's when it was Team Fortress 2, the old realistic version. Ever since they announced the Team Fortress 2 with the "pixar-like" designs, it's been on track for it's release date.

And yeah it's not technically out yet, but the beta is easy enough to get with steam. I paid for it and was rocking TF2 in no time. Ah well, maybe when the orange box is officially released more will be talking about it.

Till then, I'll just be getting better and better...:p 

-D